Part 17 - Rose

Written by Ilyluna13

November 30th 2023

Tomorrow, I'll be flying to Detroit for my weekend with Marshall. I haven't said anything to anyone, but I took off from work on Monday so I can leave as late as I want Sunday night. Of course, only if Marshall wants me to stay.

I've been so busy with work the last few days that I've barely had much time for anything else.  I've not talked to my parents much, just enough to let them know I'm alive.  Tristan tried to talk to them but Olivia still has my mom’s ear. I will never understand why she can’t be satisfied until she's created an absolute shit storm and then she'll disappear back to her "perfect" suburban life and we won’t hear from her for months. That’s just what she does these days. To be 23, she acts like she’s 40 and runs the family. For some reason, she is hell-bent on ruining my relationship with Marshall and it makes zero sense. 

Tristan and I are completely back to normal. He opened up more to me about Danny and the fact that he had to grieve his death too. I had to apologize because I hadn't realized how selfish I'd been in my grief. Tristan’s second home was my house so when Danny died he practically lost a brother.

Marshall and I communicate almost 24/7. We are always texting and he calls a few times a day. Since the night he kissed me, he has been so much flirtier when we talk. It’s kind of intimidating cause I have never been good at flirting, but I really like it.
I especially love talking to him right before bed. I sleep so peacefully. However, the best night sleep I've had in over a year was the night I slept at his hotel.  I felt safe for the first time in so long.   I’m not even denying my feelings anymore. Of course, I still find myself feeling undeniably guilty at times. Maybe eventually I won’t feel that way.
Logically, I know that I’m not cheating on Danny, but trying to tell my heart that is impossible.  Nevertheless, I want to pursue whatever this is with Marshall. I still want to know more about just exactly what he’s thinking and feeling, but I also want to live in the moment and take it slow.

I’m currently packing my things to leave for the airport straight from work tomorrow. For our date, I am taking a dress I bought just for this occasion. It’s a red A-line dress with lacy fabric, it stops about mid-thigh. I’m going to pair it with a nice dress length coat and some knee high black boots with no heel. It’s cold in Tennessee in December, I imagine Detroit is frigid so I’m going for a sexy yet smart look. Turning blue on a first date is not ideal.

As I’m getting ready for bed, my phone dings and I pick it up to see a text from Marshall.

Marsh: “I can’t call you tonight. Gonna be in the studio late. Can’t wait to see ya tomorrow. Sweet dreams ;)”

He makes me smile like an idiot with the simplest messages…

To Marsh: Excuses, excuses. Goodnight Marsh see ya tomorrow ;)

It’s the first night I haven’t actually heard his voice and I really miss lying next to him.  It was only one night and he didn’t even touch me, but it was such a comfort to know he was there.  Olivia couldn’t be more wrong about him. He isn’t the cold-hearted man he portrays in his songs. Before I fall asleep, I send him another text.

To Marsh: In case I don’t say it enough, I miss you. 

I overslept this morning and had a mad dash to get out of the house to work before I was late.  I barely made it out the door with all of my stuff for the weekend.

When I arrived to work, I had to rush right into a meeting. I didn’t have a chance to check my emails or get settled in for the day.

Three hours later and I am finally out of the meeting. I’m now sitting at my desk and its approaching lunch time. Thankfully, the day is going by. I reach into my bag to grab my phone, I haven’t even checked it today.  When I get it out, I see I have a couple texts from Tristan and Marshall. Tristan was just telling me random crap and sending me memes. Marshall sent 3 texts, a text this morning telling me good morning and a second text from an hour ago confirming the departure time of my flight.  The message that caught my attention, however, was sent late last night in response to the message I sent.