Part 21 - Rose

Written by Ehux02

Christmas Eve 2023

It has been a couple of weeks since I have seen Marshall. They haven’t been necessarily easy weeks, but I was dealing with things just fine. I haven’t told anyone my plans to visit him for Christmas, except for Tristan. It shouldn’t matter; my visit with him won’t interrupt Christmas with my family, but the tension in this room is tight.
I am currently at my parents and will be here until I leave for the airport later this evening. So far Christmas Eve with my family has been fine. Dane and Olivia are here along with Corey, Olivia’s husband. We are all sitting in the dining room after eating the dinner my mom cooked for us. 
Olivia and I aren’t speaking and things are tense between my mom and I. My dad is quiet as always. Dane and Corey are quiet too. I don’t think they ever speak.

Tristan and I are talking about football. It’s getting so close to time for him to head to college and play. We are only like 6 months away.

I finally decide to speak up to let them know that I am spending Christmas day in Detroit. “So, I have to leave here by 6. I have a flight to catch.” Olivia snaps her head up, “Where are you going? Do not tell me with Eminem.” 
“Don’t start, Olivia.” Tristan says with a warning tone.
“Stay out of this, Tristan! This is not business for a child to be involved with.” Olivia spews at Tristan while maintaining eye contact with me.
“Olivia, don’t you dare speak to him like that. And DON’T stick your nose in my business.” I’m doing my best not to shout at her, but I’m not going to be able to hold back for long.

“Rose, calm down let’s talk about this rationally. Wait, where is your ring? Did you lose it?” My mom says and I glance over at my dad. His face is  and he’s watching my mom and Liv intently.
“No, mom. I didn’t lose it. Don’t you think it’s time. Mom, this isn’t up for discussion and even if it were, it would be a cold day in hell before I discuss anything with Olivia.”
“Did you take it off because he told you to? I just don’t understand how you think he’s actually interested in you. He’s famous, he raps about hating women, and he will probably drop you when he gets bored with you. You are probably one of many girls he’s entertaining.” Olivia’s words sting like venom, but I won’t let her see it.

“He would never ask me to take the ring off, but again, I’m not talking about this with you.” Having said that I leave the dining room and head into the living room. I just sit on the couch staring at the wall. I check the time on my phone and see it’s only 2. I’m ready to leave.
Tristan comes in the room and sits down with me.  “Did you see the look on dad’s face when Liv was talking to you?”  “No, Tris, I didn’t. He won’t say anything to Liv because he won’t dare go against mom right now.” “Well, sis, looks like he’s getting pissed at her and mom too.”
“It would be nice to have more than you on my side. I’m tired of fighting with mom and dad. I don’t give a fuck about Olivia.”

We sit in silence for just a few minutes before my dad and mom come into the living room. Olivia follows shortly after. I see Dane and Corey head down the hallway, probably to Tristan’s room to play PlayStation. 

My dad speaks first, “Tristan, can you give us a minute?” Tristan looks at me and I nod letting him know I’m okay.
After Tristan leaves the room, it’s silent for a few minutes and so awkward.
My mom breaks the silence, “How could you possibly think a relationship with Marshall could work? He is 20 years older than you. You are at different stages in your life. You cant want the same things.”

“I’m really confused. Before you knew he was Eminem, you were pushing me into a relationship with him. We have been on one date and we haven’t even decided what we want next.  And what exactly do you think I want from a relationship? ”

Olivia speaks next, “Don’t be naïve Rose, if you are spending Christmas with him and his family he wants more with you and the way you defend him tells me alot.”
“Funny, Liv because 20 minutes ago, you told me I was one of many girls. So how serious about me can he be? Which is it Liv?”
“Rosie, you’re going to get hurt and I’m trying to prevent that.”
“Olivia, last time I’m gonna tell you not to call me that. Dad is the only one allowed to call me Rosie. Oh and do not pretend to care about me. Just don’t. If you cared about me getting hurt, where the hell have you been? In case you didn’t know, my fucking world was shattered almost 2 years ago. Where were you then? Sure as hell wasn’t with me. And do not pretend to know anything about Marshall. You don’t know the real him and if I get my way, you never will.”

“I do care about you and I’m sure that Marshall doesn’t. How can he? Why would he want somebody that’s damaged? He could have anyone he wants and he chooses you. Just seems suspicious that--“
I interrupt because at this point I’m furious. I stand up and so does she, I am right in here face when I shout, “Shut the fuck up, Liv. You are here to start shit and that’s it! STOP pretending to care! Again, you know nothing about Marshall and me. You caring about me is not why you are saying any of this –“
Olivia interrupts and I can feel this situation escalating. “Are you listening to yourself, Rose? You cant even defend him properly---“

My dad interrupts yelling, “Enough!” His tone returns to normal and he says, ”Rosie, come sit with me and talk to me. Christine (my mom), Olivia do not speak until Rose is finished, understand?” They both nod and dad turns to me, “Rosie, tell me about Marshall. It’s obvious he means a lot to you. I see life in your eyes that I haven’t seen in so long. So tell dad all about him.”
I just look at my dad for what feels like an eternity, his face is so sincere in the moment. I think and choose my words carefully,

“He makes me happy. Something I never thought I’d feel again. He doesn’t judge my grief. He just listens. He has talked me off the ledge so much for the last 4 months. When I’m with him, he constantly keeps a smile on my face. He distracts me from the pain and it’s so easy to be around him. He’s an amazing dad. He has 3 daughters and they are his entire world. His number one priority. ”

“Doesn’t sound bad to me at all, Rosie. Do you understand our concern with the age difference?”
“No, and I honestly don’t get why it matters.”
“Rosie, my first thought when I hear that he is 51, is that he’s taking advantage of you. I am 55, that freaks me out. Have you even discussed what you want from the relationship? Your mom and I are afraid that getting involved with him could keep you from many things.”

“Like what?” I ask and my dad turns his attention to my mom and she softly speaks, “More children? Marriage? He is in Detroit and you are here. Is he going to move to Tennessee?”
I laugh lightly at the last bit. “And you both think those are things that I want from him? I don’t think I want to have any more kids---”
My dad interrupts and speaks again, “Yeah, I do. You may not realize it now, but what if you wake up one day and want those things?”

“Then I guess, I’ll deal with it then. If I have learned anything in the last year and a half, it’s that life is too short to spend time unhappy. He makes me happy and even if he is never more than a friend I don’t wanna miss out on him.”
“I just don’t want anyone to take advantage of you. You’ve been hurt and whether you admit it or not you are vulnerable. But I understand what you are saying and I hear you, Rosie, and I am going to trust your judgement. I’ll give a him a chance and,” my dad turns his head to my mom and Liv who both look stunned while continuing to speak to me, ”so will everyone else in this family.”

Olivia storms out of the room and my mom just sits in silence. My dad turns the TV on to ESPN and after a few minutes, he and I are lost in game highlights. My mom has since left the room.

My dad speaks up, “Next time he’s in town, bring him around. I want to meet him.”
“Okay, but only you and mom. No Olivia, Corey or Dane.”
My dad nods his head as Tristan walks in the room with his phone to his ear “Marshall has called you a couple times so he called me.” He says to me and into his phone he says, “Yeah, she’s fine here she is.” He passes the phone off to me, “Hi, Marshall. Sorry I didn’t hear my phone.
“It’s okay, baby girl.  I’m sorry to bother you while you are celebrating Christmas, but uh, I kinda came down with the plane to take you to Detroit.”

“Wait, you’re here, in Tennessee?”
“Yeah, are you at your parents still?”
I fight to contain my excitement, ‘Yeah, but I can leave I’m just watching ESPN with my dad.”
“Nah, just give me their address and I’ll come there if that’s okay.”
Um, okay.” I give him the address and he says he’ll see me soon and hangs up.
“Dad, Marshall is here and coming by in like 20 minutes.”

My dad says nothing to me and he gets up and yells down the hall for Dane, Corey and Tristan.
Tristan looks at me with a knowing smile. He knew Marshall was coming, I can tell.
After everyone joins mom and Olivia in the kitchen my dad announces to the room that Marshall is coming and follows it with, “If anyone makes him feel unwelcome or overwhelms him, I will put you out of my house for the duration of his visit. Even you Christine.” After my dad finishes, he leaves the room and I follow him out.

Marshall arrives and I open the door to greet him. I haven’t seen him in almost a month. He instantly pulls me into a hug and whispers, “I missed you, but we have an audience.” I turn and see my entire family staring at him. I turn around and make the introductions with everyone, saving my dad for last.

My dad shakes Marshall’s hand and asks Marshall to join him in the living room “to watch a basketball game on ESPN” and motions for Tristan to join them.

I start to follow but my dad stops me, “Go help your mom clean up the kitchen.”