Part 25 - Rose

Written by ehux02

My dad and I walked a little way from the cabin to an area that was flat. The cabin was positioned on a hill and didn’t have much of a yard to play in the snow. Where we decided to stop was just out of sight of the cabin..   He told me about Marshall’s plan to get us all here today. “He cares a lot about earning your mom’s approval. He asked Tristan and me point blank if we were okay with you and him.”
I giggle at my dad’s expression, “I sure hope you both said yes.” He then laughed and shook his head at me. “Guess Marshall hasn’t figured out that you do what you want. He will soon enough.” I acted appalled at my dad’s accusation and pelted him with a snowball.  He laughed at me and to prove his point he asked, “Do you remember when you were 19 and told me and your mom you were getting married?” I nodded and he continued, “You would not listen to us about anything. You had made your mind up that you were marrying Daniel and you weren’t waiting. Once you make your mind up, there is no stopping you, Rosie.”
I smiled at my dad. Okay, maybe I am a little stubborn.

"Think mom will come around?"

"Rosie, your mom is looking out for you in her own way. She wants to see his intentions for herself.  She’s heard you loud and clear, but remember you do get your stubbornness from her...” He laughed during that last bit and I couldn't help but laugh along. He was right about that.

“How do you think it’s going in there?” I asked referring to the conversation that I was certain was taking place back at the cabin. “I really don’t know, Rosie. I just hope she’s letting him get a word in.” I laughed thinking of Marshall in there with my mom. If she stopped to think about who was she was talking to, she'd probably freak out. She’s way to into mom mode right now, but she’s bound to realize at some point that she’s arguing with Eminem, right? I laughed out loud at the thought. "Dad, you think mom has realized she is grilling Eminem?" He laughed at my question and just shook his head, “If I tell you this, you have to keep it between us.” I nodded in agreement. “Christmas Eve night, after everyone was gone, she said ‘Dave, do you realize that Eminem showed up to our house today and whisked our oldest daughter away in his private jet?’ She couldn’t believe it. She knows who she’s talking to and she will eventually be beside herself because she met Eminem, I’m pretty star struck myself at times, but you, my girl, are our first priority.” I smiled at my dad. I really had the best parents. 

My parents were huge Eminem fans when I was little. Not so much in the last few years, but because of them I had always listened to him and kept up with his music. I was definitely a fan too, but it was a strange feeling because I rarely see Marshall as Eminem. They aren’t the same person to me. Before I could stop it my insecurities took over for a moment and I asked my dad what Marshall sees in me. He scoffed at me like I was crazy, but he must’ve understood where my doubts were coming from because he said, “You know, when he was at the house the other day, he spoke about you as if you were the most precious thing in the world. He talked about taking care of you , giving you the world, and making sure you were always happy. His words were so sincere and that's how I knew that I could stop worrying about him with you. I hope he shows your mom the same sincerity so she can see what I do. I don’t think you have any reason to doubt.”

My dad and I gave up on the snowman building about as quickly as we started and just sat in the snow talking. He asked so many questions about Marshall and Detroit. I told him how damn cold Detroit was and he laughed at that. “Rosie, you know we are sitting in snow.” “Yep, dad, and this is still warmer than Detroit.” He just laughed at that and kept asking questions about Marshall, his daughters, his home, anything he could think of. I could tell he was really trying. I could only hope my mom would do the same.