48

We withheld Allie from seeing Christina for a few days.

Christina was very bruised, swollen and crying constantly, which isn't something we thought a five year old would be able to bare.

We had Christina walking laps around the hospital every two hours for thirty minutes- which was absolute hell.

"What hurts the most, princess?" I asked, stopping in the hallway at her form where she held her tears, fighting so hard to be brave.

"Talk to me" I held her head gently, rubbing her cheek.

"My whole body just constantly hurts" She broke out into tears, making me pull her into a hug- careful to watch her road rash.

She cried into my shoulder, something that was so vulnerable and made me want to fall out crying with her.

All four of us had been a mess- we all take turns cycling through seeing Allie and her while spending the night at home and the hospital.

Allie cried over us not letting her see Christina- mainly because she didn't understand why she couldn't see her big sister

"Sissy doesn't look and feel good right now" I would tell her simply.

"My sissy always looks good." She would say immediately pulling her stubbornness out, stomping away and giving me the silent treatment for about ten minutes or until she got hungry.

"Let's go back to your room" I suggested, walking her back slowly.

I sat with her on her bed, kissing her head gently.

I called Michael- who was with a patient, but yet immediately answered.

"Are those support puppies still here?" I asked, seeing Christina's head turn to look to me.

"Yeah- that's a good fucking idea." Michael spoke, knowing what I meant before I even said it.

Within five minutes Michael walked in with a volunteer who held a Golden retriever on a leash, smiling to us.

"This is butterball" the lady smiled, touching beside Chris, which made the dog out his two front paws on the bed beside her.

I watched her hesitate to touch him- her eyes moving to me.

"Give Butterball some loving"

That sentence unleashed Christina.

Not listening to our objections she was soon on the ground, laying on her back, Butterball curled up beside her- letting her pet him as she laid close to him.

What a good fucking dog.

I sat on the floor with them, also petting butterball, who had lifted Christinas spirit within five minutes of behind here.

"Thank you" Christina spoke to me, making me look to her

"For what?" I asked.

"Caring about me"