↳fourteen↴

"YOU WOULDN'T believe the weekend I had." Marcus grumbled as he bit into his large burger and let out a low moan as he chewed. We were sitting on the roof, seeing as it was the quietest place to be at right now since the halls were still filled of chaos from the weekend.

"What happened?" I asked, taking a few fries and tossing them in my mouth, watching as ketchup sat in the corner of his mouth. At least I know Marcus is my food buddy, seeing as neither of us care how each other ate.

He continues to chew on his food, but when he's done, he takes his Coke and gulps it down. I roll my eyes and look at the sky ahead, the sun beaming on my skin as he spoke, "A lot of shit happened."

"I heard Petra's in the infirmary," I raise a brow, "A Vicktor?"

"Yeah these two guys came to take Saya home, ended up killing a whole lot of the school and almost killed us." He briefed up, taking another sip from his drink as he looked at the sky ahead.

"Now, I prefer that essay I have to finish for Lin," I chuckled lowly, "Not in the mood to get slaughtered. I just painted my nails." He glances over at me and lets out a light laugh, making me notice the scar going down his face, "You know, for you being my new best friend, you got to explain how you got that scar."

He then ran his thumb down his scar, seeing as went from the top of his brow and down to his cheek, though it missed his eye.

He took another sip and sighed, "The Boy's Home I went to weren't very fond of me," He started off and I slide my food away from me so I could pay attention. He lets out a small laugh as he continued, "I believe my roommate hated me the most though, seeing as he's the one that gave me the scar."

"That must of sucked." I say and pick up my onion rings, stuffing two in my mouth at a time. If I continue to eat fast food and school food, I think I might blow up.

"It did," He agreed, "Being with him no was no joyride. I pushed around all the time, beat up to the point were I just couldn't take it anymore."

"I feel you on that." I mumbled, and he glanced over at me again.

"You know, for you being my new best friend," He mimicked and I rolled my eyes, "You got to tell me how you ended up in here."

I pause my movements, my eyes locking with him briefly, before I look away, "I'm too sober to talk about that."

"Should we go get some bourbon and your favorite- vodka?" He wondered, his voice playfully, but when he seen I wasn't laughing, he turned serious, "I'm not going to judge you, Brynn. We all did some pretty fucked up shit and we've been through hell of a lot worse than the next guy."

I nod slowly, "I know, it's just," I let out a sigh, my hands beginning to tremble, so I place them on my lap, "It's just I don't remember most of it."

Marcus shrugged, "It's fine, just tell me how it all started. You can miss the gory details if you want to."

"Fine," I give him a small smile and clear my throat, "It was one night, where my mom, dad and my sister and I were having a movie night. We rarely did things like this, but my father had insisted and we couldn't turn him down since we were convinced he was the scariest thing to walk on this earth.."

"Was he a bad guy?"

"Hell yeah, he was the worst," I told him, "He was killer- a ruthless one at that, so believe me when I tell you, it felt like dream," I think back to my memories, trying not to let a tear surface, "We were having so much fun, eating popcorn and telling jokes, I swore my old man turned over a new leaf, until.. until my mom mentioned me and my sister to live with our aunt.

"She felt as though is living there would keep us safe.. she wanted us to be away from our father and that- that pissed him off," I look down at my trembling hands, seeing as I never had the strength to talk about it, "It all happened so fast.. he turned off the TV, threw the popcorn across the room and slapped my mom before I could even blink.

"My sister was terrified because she was so young and she had never seen him hit her like I had," I swallowed the lump in my throat, my memory fading a bit, "She was so shaken up, so my mom yelled at me, saying to take her in the kitchen.. I don't think I ever pulled her out of her seat so fast and into the kitchen.

"I pushed her into the kitchen and pulled her to me, my grip so tight on her, it felt like I was squeezing the life out of her inch by inch," I feel him staring at me as told my story, "I thought that his yelling would never end, but then I heard a loud crash and my mother yell before it was just silence.

"I was so scared to leave the kitchen, but I didn't hear my mother," My voice began to croak and a year slipped down my cheek, "I didn't...I didn't hear her crying anymore."

"Brynn-"

"I got up, anyways, my sister pleading for me to come back to her," I quickly wipe away my tears, "But I was too far from her to turn back, so when I open the kitchen door, I seen my mother laid out on the floor, blood everywhere as my dad stood over her, his body frozen, yet his expression blank.

"His eyes was so trained on my mom's limp body, he didn't see me until my sister came next to me and let out a cry from seeing our mother," My throat starts to go dry, but I don't reach for my drink, "She ran over to her dead body, but I couldn't move since I was now my father's target... He stormed his way over to me, but I was able to gather up enough strength to run back into the kitchen.

"I was about to run into our backyard, but I heard my sister coming to us, her cries getting louder by the second, so I turn to see her yanking on my dad's pants leg, sobbing, wondering why our mom wasn't moving.." I bit on my bottom lip, fighting myself from breaking down, "He yelled at her to shut up, but she- she just kept crying, so before I could tell her to go to her room, he grabbed her up and shoved her across the room, her arms flailing as she was thrown into the edge of the counter.

"I go up to her and... and I had seen so much blood. 'She's unconscious from the impact', is what I told myself, but I didn't feel her pulse as I rested my hand on her chest," I whimpered, and I felt Marcus grab my hand as I went on, "My father then stood over me, yelling for me to stop crying- I didn't even know I was crying until I wiped my face, my sister's blood smearing my cheeks. I couldn't stop from sobbing, though, because I couldn't stop looking down at my sister and I was too afraid to look up at my dad.

"'Get up!' He yelled at me, 'Get the hell up and clean this mess!' It felt like my body went numb as he screamed at me, my body too shaken up with fear, so he yanked me onto my feet, but I quickly got out of his grip and ran to the opposite side of the room.. looking for any object I could find to defend myself," I look down at our hands and sniffled, "He was charging at me and so I knew I had to think fast, so when I saw a knife.. I grabbed it and held it out to me, before everything went blank and I- I woke up to the sight of my dead family in front of me and blood everywhere in my house, including my body."

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that, Brynn." Marcus mumbled and he turned my head, so I'd look at him.

He wipes my cheek and I let out a dry laugh, "I'm sorry, it's just that I have talked about it since that day."

He nods as I scoot over to rest my head on his shoulder, "It's alright. I like when girl's discuss their traumas and cry in front of me."

I hit him lightly, but smile as the sun sets, "Thank you, Marcus."

"What are best friends for?" He shrugged, and we stare at the ahead, orange and red hews streaking across the sky, making me smile. Marcus then glanced at me, "How do you feel about traveling to Las Vegas?"