↳ twenty-eight↴

MY INSIDES churned as the plan repeated itself in my brain. I was supposed to sneak upstairs with Saya, and help her scope out the place, as she repeated for the eighth time because for some reason, I just couldn't cope my mind around the fact that this isn't any ordinary mission or a scenario that we reenact in class. Of course, we always have to think that it's either kill or be killed, but this feels different.

This is a real thing; we are really going to fight bad guys and sacrifice our lives to kill theirs. I look around the group and think of how one of us might die tonight, which made fear rattled through my body. This is the moment where we fight for survival and come out the end because we are trying to save mankind. Though, while do I feel like I'm walking into a bottomless shithole, I know it's too late to pussy out now.

After another talk session, everyone dispersed and I was about to walk with Saya until my hand was pulled back by Marcus. He watched everyone walk off before looking at me, "You okay?"

I nod and look down at our intertwined hands, taking in his stench of dirt and shit. I swallow down the smell and look back up at him , "Yeah, you?"

"No, but I will be knowing that we make it out okay," He sighed before grazing my hand with his thumb and glancing down at his makeshift bat, "Be careful, alright?"

He gives a light squeeze to my hands and I smile with another nod before slowly retreating my hand. When our fingers could no longer grasp onto each other, I turn around and walk away to meet Saya.

She eyed me and I tossed my hands up, "What?"

"Where were you last night?" She asked and I look around for any nosy people.

"I was with Marcus." I simply whispered and she gave me a look.

"I thought you stopped whatever was going on with you guys." She assumed and I nodded.

"I did, this time it just felt better and stress relieving because I no longer had to lie," I explained, "Plus, it was just a momentary relapse."

She rolled her eyes, "Maria will kill you."

"And you will avenge me and kill her." I joke before we soon hear the fireworks go off and Lex's bomb detonate at the front door. I glance at Saya, "You're waiting for pigs to fly too or are you gonna toss the rope already?"

She glares my way and throws up the rope on the second floor of Shabnam's house, before looking at me again and motioning up the later, "Men first."

I give a fake laugh before climbing my way up to rope and sneaking into the room. I then look back at out the window and see Saya now coming up, "Could you be any slower?"

She shakes her head and I back out of the window and towards the door to glance out of when I hear a loud crash from behind me. I quickly shield myself, but when I seen that it was only Saya as she kneeled on the floor with her sword in her hand, ready for attack.

I kiss my teeth, "Was that really necessary?"

She stood up and dusted herself off, "You look around the left side, I'll look around the right side of the house."

I nod and was about to walk away, but glanced back at her, "Be careful?"

She smiles, "I'll see you later." With no other words shared, I walk off, turning to my left and pulling out my daggers. I held them close to me in case some hillbilly chooses to pop out, so I could quickly gut them. I crept down the hall, slowly opening and walking inside each door I came across. When I reached the last door down the hall, I walk in with a steady pace and take in the sight of rocket ship wallpaper and action figures everywhere.

I then look at a broken framed picture of Shabnam with his family and sadness forms. This shit called Chester killed his father after torturing him and his wife in this place that now smells like a barn. Yeah, the last time I was in here, it smelt like sweaty drunks and I was too drunk to care, but at least you knew it was someone's home. Now it looks like this house just came out of Halloween or some scary shit.

When I finish scoping the room, I lower my daggers seeing that nobody was upstairs for some reason. It felt weird as to why they didn't have anyone upstairs, but I brushed the feeling off as I was about to walk away until I smelt a tinge of smoke. I froze myself in my spot before  slowly turning around to look at a burning cigarette that sat on the edge of Shabnam's bed table.

My feet felt like they were moving in slow motion as I walked back inside, my eyes trained on the cigarette. It was achingly quiet as I furrowed my brows, "What the-"

A burst from the closet startled me before I was tackle to the floor by a deranged woman, "Ronald McDonald, lord of the seven kindoms!" I couldn't reach my daggers as she held a tight grip on my hands, but I used my force to turn us around, so she was on the ground. I loosen her grip on me and grab her arm to look for my for my daggers that were flown somewhere across the room, but I was taken aback when she collided her head with mine, knocking me off her.

I stumbled back, trying to catch myself as I held my head, but she grabs my shoulders and swings me around, yelling in my ear. I hit her in her side to see if she would fall back, but she was unaffected as she slammed me hard into the wall. I groan but shove her off me to punch her hard in the face. Blood spews from her mouth but she gives a wicked grin as blood dripped from her lip.

I felt nauseous. I was losing this fight to a woman who problem took a thousand drugs and has more adrenaline in her system. I was already feeling woozy, but I saw one of my daggers in the corner, which made me rush past her and grab it before she put me in a chokehold from behind.

I was so out of it that I didn't hear what she screamed, but she then whispered in my ear, "Do you hear 'em downstairs? All those screams? Those are your friends," She then backed up from my ear to yell, "Your friends are gonna die!"

Anger boiled in me as I cut her arm with my dagger, making her yelp and back up from me. When I stand, she still held a smug look on her face, her blood now staining her teeth. She didn't wait a second more before shouting and charging at me with speed.

She grabbed my arms, keeping them locked to my body before pulling me out into the hall to slam me against the walls and shove me into a room that was before Shabnam's. I fell back on the floor and she climbed on top of me as I held the dagger between us. I tried to force the blade to get close to her neck to slit it open, but due my weakened arms, she was able to hold the blade in between us.

We fought for the dagger, but in the corner of my eye, I notice a figure in the window and I look to Maria standing there. She stared at me with a deadpanned look, watching me struggle with this lunatic, "You fucked him again, didn't you?"

Oh fuck.

I am so sorry for the almost a month absence and long wait. I didn't mean to delay this chapter for this long, but for a while I just lost interest in writing and I was so focused on studying for my SATs and I had stunt competitions, that I wasn't really free until now.

Hopefully, I don't delay like this again and I hope I didn't make you not want to read my story again