02. A Ticket for Teiko

Her husband, her daughter and now her son and her daughter-in-law, why was life so unfair? Old Renée sorrowfully gazed at her son's grave, stray tears running down her wrinkled cheeks as her hand tightly held her eldest grandson's hand

Her husband, her daughter and now her son and her daughter-in-law, why was life so unfair? Old Renée sorrowfully gazed at her son's grave, stray tears running down her wrinkled cheeks as her hand tightly held her eldest grandson's hand. Was she comforting him or was she looking for comfort herself? Nothing was sure.

The green head didn't answer his grandmother's hand squeeze, his unusually dull eyes blankly gazing at the twin grave before him. Two names were engraved, and the boy found himself stopping at the familiar yet foreign name of his uncle. Pierre Lamarre.

A name he knew all too well but that he, almost, never used. When was the last time they spoke cordially, without having himself cowering from the older's hard almost reproachful yet guilty gaze? Had they ever see eye to eye until a week ago?

Although he didn't think he held any affection toward his uncle, much less his wife, Ryota felt his golden eyes sting, tearing up until a single tear rolled down his cheek. Was this how they felt when he died? Those were his only thought as he gazed at the tomb before him. From then on, none of his attention went to his deceased relatives. They weren't close. Mikaël never acknowledged them either.

To be honest, if not for the fact that his grandmother was his uncle's mother he wouldn't have come. He had better things to do, more important things to attend. The compelling feeling in his gut which told him they were there too drove him to play basketball every day, to absorb every technique he could.

From the best player to the worst, it didn't matter so long as it meant he could stand on the same court as them once more. They promised they would play together, and although they probably weren't aware of this promise, Ryota as the one who broke it believed he needed to live up to it. He had to, for himself more than anyone else.

Ryota was selfish, only those who entered his line of sigh mattered. In his former life, he had brilliantly succeeded, only those of his standings and those he acknowledged ever talked to him. In his current life as Mikaël, he was spoiled much more than by his previous parents. He did miss his parent's as Kise, but he had lost them before, and although mamie Renée would never replace them, she was like a mother and loving granny to Mikaël.

In this life, she probably was one of the rare people Ryota actually acknowledged, the other kids his 'age' were only fools, people not worth his time and attention. Easily deceived by a smile and pretty words, sure they were children, but to the Ryota who learned how to use his looks to his advantage at a young age, not discerning lies from the truth was pitiable. Gullible was different from Foolish.