09. A Game of Chess

Happily skipping through the gym, a basketball in his right hand, Mikaël hummed some random tune, delight oozing out of him

"Daikicchi!" he chirped, catching the blue's attention.

"Yes, Mika-sempai?"

Mikaël chuckled, amused by the boy's diligence. The Daiki from his time had long since gone to the dark side, forsaking every semblance of respect or politeness he could muster toward his seniors. 

"Let's play!" He challenged, tossing the ball to the tan male with a grin.

"Ah, 'course sempai!" The teen replied enthusiastically.

From the sideline, Nijimura sighed. Rubbing his forehead in a seemingly fed up manner, he turned to face his current "aid" or "apprentice."

"Excuse me, Akashi-san."

The boy calmly nodded a polite smile on his face, one he probably wore since the day he was born, as he hummed in acknowledgment at his vice-captain.

Mutely looking at Vice-captain Nijimura, Seijuro's gaze flickered to Lamarre. The boy, a year his senior, was getting reprimanded by their vice-captain, as usual. On the sideline, Aomine wore a sheepish smile, a blend of bashfulness, sympathy and mild disappointment, most likely from not playing with the second-year.

Humming lowly to himself, Seijuro lightly tilted his head to the side in contemplation. As an Akashi, he prided himself in his deduction skills or skills in general. But his foreign Sempai remained a blurry picture to the teen.

For instance, Seijuro didn't understand why he was so interested in them. In him, he wasn't boasting, he could understand. He was the heir to the Akashi conglomerate, a renowned family throughout Japan whose aura breached the country's border. It wouldn't be surprising if the boy knew of them.

No, what Seijuro didn't understand was the insistence the teen displayed toward them. Them, the new first-years recruits for the first string. Perhaps, was it a mere curiosity for his juniors. Maybe, the teen was naturally tactical and friendly with everyone?

These suppositions, Seijuro scratched them upon his first practice by the first-stringers. Lamarre wasn't nearly as friendly with the other second-years ( except with Nijimura perhaps) as he was with them. To begin with, they weren't on first names basis.