06. Indigo Ability

Eyes closed, Mikaël slowly exhaled, his hands instinctively moved as he calmly dribbled his basketball

Eyes closed, Mikaël slowly exhaled, his hands instinctively moved as he calmly dribbled his basketball. It was one of those rare moments the green found himself focused and devoid of any sham grin and cheeriness. His mind went to the sport, and he felt free. Unbothered by his surrounding, his duties, his life, he felt like himself.

Opening his eyes at once he failed to notice, like every other time, the light indigo that coated his golden hues for a second, turning his eyes a strange green shade momentarily.

Since his transfer to Teiko and his first match against one of the future "Uncrowned Kings," the green had developed a strange ability. It was oh so odd how he didn't notice its effect until his teammates pointed it out. 

Exactly, how could he fail to see his double popping up on the court, a foot behind him, shamelessly grinning and taunting the player he was marking.

The real question was, who was this doppelganger which appeared without warning before vanishing into thin air as soon as Mikaël dribbled past his opponent.

It took a few official and practice matches before Ryota started to grasp this ability of his. This skill which he didn't fully understand, enabled him to fool his surrounding. To deceive their every sense, even his if he wasn't careful. It was different from Perfect Copy which he had yet to master as he hadn't seen the original techniques in this lifetime.

To tell the truth, when he first saw his skill, Ryota wondered if he had developed a knack for misdirection. The theory vanished as quickly as it came. Unlike Tetsuya, Mikaël didn't go unnoticed to the point he would disappear from plain sight. What's more, his skill had nothing to do with passes. It seemed a bit too passively offensive, even actively aggressive to be so.

In the end, Ryota had settled with one simplistic explanation. After death, perhaps the Gods had taken pity on him, or it was karma, Ryota received this strange unheard off ability. It didn't seem all that plausible, but when he remembered how he came back from the dead, the former blond could only nod in understanding.

The orange ball hit the tar a few more times before Mikaël dashed forward. The goal was to 'awaken' this skill. His grasp of it was shaky, and Mikaël knew that if he didn't work on it, instead of becoming a weapon it would turn into a liability.

Shuzo who was waiting for the other's attempt remained guarded. His grey eyes never left the green's figure as he kept a side-eye on the ball. He didn't remember how he ended up spending his weekend with his classmate, but he didn't care for all it mattered. To help Mikaël meant he would perhaps get a better grasp of his teammate's game.