56. Surprise

Hands above his head as he casually stretched his back, Ryota moaned in content

Hands above his head as he casually stretched his back, Ryota moaned in content. "Damn-ssu, we made it out alive," he drawled, a delighted smile painting his lips. He could still feel the adrenaline pumping through his veins from the previous round.

It was almost suffocating, the tension, the never-ending rain of attacks coming from both sides, and the— and then— that rain of bullets, he shivered. A result of both his fear and excitation, fear for his life as he felt death was incoming, and morbid excitation when he thought of taking the others' lif— watch.

He paused, his smile stiffened before he airily chuckled. Aha? Did he just think that taking a life was fun?

Fun?

Amusing?

Entertaining?

Endearing?

Oh my, his lips unnaturally twitched up and down as he carelessly brought a hand to cover the maniacal smirk that threatened to overtake his lips. Was he growing insane now? Did his thinking start to morph?

Human's ability to adapt was honestly scary.

"Kufufu—" Ryota's half-lidded eyes snapped out of their daze to focus on the laughing teen. "Of course we did, who do you think we are?" the illusionist paused, his grin stretched. "No, rather, who do you think I am, Ota-kun?

Ryota's cryptical smile had long since been replaced by an absentminded expression as he listened to the other's rambling.

"I say— Kufufu, wait, are you ignoring me, Ota-kun?"

Ryota blinked, his golden eyes going back to their usual focus as he sent Mukuro his typical plastic smile. "Mhm? What did you say Six-cchi?"

The Mist disapprovingly clicked his tongue a few times before sighing. "Now, now, Ota-kun, that's no way to treat your dear friend," he instructed.

Ryota merely smiled, trying to adjust his mind to his new psyche— rather, his new unsettling mindset regarding the value of life.

Shura whose line of sight was kept on his Future Boss, casually tilted his head to the side, his blue eyes crinkled jovially as an enchanted grin erupted on his face.