A Turn for the Worse

EMMA'S POV

"J...Jason.... w...what are you doing here ?"

"What do you mean? I live here".

"Yeah b... but you... "

"I got released today, aren't you happy to see your favorite brother?"

"I.. I.."

I couldn't get a coherent sentence to come out of my mouth, I wasn't expecting to see him this soon. Immediately I started getting flashbacks of the last time I saw him and of the night of my dad's accident. Jason was a very aggressive man, he was always under the influence of alcohol and drugs making him even more aggressive. I was so afraid of him, specially after my dad got in the hospital because his abusive behavior got worse, I always thought he'll end up killing me in one if his beatings.

I hate so say this because he's my brother, but once he went to prison I felt the biggest relieve, it was so nice not having to cover the bruises in my body to leave the house. Suddenly I felt how he grabbed me by my shoulders screaming, I felt little droplets his of saliva landing in my face and his foul breath.

"You are not happy to see me huhh..... you fucking whore?"

I felt the sharp pain in my face as he slapped me making me fall right on the floor.

"Jason please calm down, of course I'm happy to see you, you are my only brother". I said in a begging tone, hoping to calm his rage attempting to prevent him from beating me to the point of unconsciousness like he used to. My body was shaking and tears ran out of my eyes because of how frighted I was.

" Stop crying like an idiot and make me something to eat, I'm hungry."

I was too afraid to tell him I couldn't make him something to eat because I had to got to work, that will be enough for him to kill me. I got up from the floor and headed to the kitchen, called the restaurant to say I wasn't feeling well and I needed to stay home today. I made his food, took it to the table where he was already in and left his sight immediately.

Forty five minutes later I realized he has fallen asleep on the couch, it was my opportunity to go. I ran to my room grabbed a bag and stuffed as much clothes as I could fit in it, I decided I was never going to live this hell again. I ran out the door, my legs weren't as fast as I wanted them to be.

I ran and ran, probably for about 30 minutes, my breath was very short so I decided to walk into a Starucks, grab a cup of coffee and think what to do now, I didn't know where to go, I have nobody. The only thing I was certain about was that if Jason finds me he will definitely kill me.

I reached my pocket to get the money to pay for my coffee, something else came out tangled with the cash, it was a card, Adam McRoberts' business card. I drank my coffee staring at the golden lettered card. This seems to be my only option, not only Jason won't be able to put his hands on me being married to a rich and powerful man like Adam McRoberts but I will also be able to pay for my dad's treatment.

I was now in front of the huge building of McRoberts Industrial Inc. and realized how small and insignificant I was, I had to do this, for me and for my father.

ADAM'S POV

"Are you out of your mind Adam? How did we go from you being depressed for your wife's death to you being married to a stranger?"

"Not any stranger, I'm getting married to the daughter of the man who caused my wife's death."

"Even worst. Are you even listening to yourself? This is crazy, and let me tell you this will not end well".

I could sense how worried Tristan was for me and this hole situation after I told him what happened last night with Emma, my proposal to her and my real intentions. Tristan have always been a good friend, always by my side in he good and in the bad, that's why he's one of the few people that I still appreciate to be around me. I understand his position of trying to walk me away from this, but I can't do what he advises I'm doing this for my wife Amy, maybe he's right but I had to do this, I had to take this pain from me in order to continue and have a life somehow normal. I took a sip of my whiskey.

"I understand your concern, but I need to do this Tristan, for Amy, for Demi and for myself, I don't sleep at night thinking that the love of my life is not with me anymore and nobody is paying for it."

"This girl didn't do anything to Amy."

"Her dad did, she has his blood and to me that's enough."

The ringing of my office phone interrupts our conversation, I hit the answer in speaker button.

"Yes."

"Mr. McRoberts, I'm sorry to bother you, but there's someone here that wants to see you, her name is Emma Ross, should I let her in ?"

I looked at Tristan with a wide smile, he rolled his eyes.

"Yes, let her in and give directions on how to get to my office, please."

"I think is time for me to go, I don't want to be here when that poor girl enters the lion's den."

This time I was the one rolling my eyes at him.

Thank you for reading !