Love Thy Neighbor

🌸FROM
https://archiveofourown.org/works/12113901#main

cute religious phan

Words:3612
---------------------------------------------

Phil stood on the sidewalk, a sign posed in his hand reading "Benefit Our Local Church by Stopping by Our Bake Sale". He was over this day, bored of just standing here and only getting honks from passing cars, not even any people pulling into the parking lot to check out the tables manned by the women and mothers of his church.

His father, the pastor, was stood in the back, grilling some hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill. They were selling those as well apparently. But he was ready to go home and nap. He's been at the church since six am getting everything ready with his father. But it was now going for early afternoon and his eyes were weighing heavy.

Giving up, he let go of the sign and let his tired arms weigh heavy at his sides as he turned around and headed back to the table, noting the now small line of people looking at the baked goods. His mother made majority of them and Phil was slightly jealous that she was going to give them to the homeless shelter and he wouldn't be able to indulge in the delights that was his mothers baking. She never did it much anymore. Her stress was turning her hair grey and her body frail as she struggled to hide her addiction to prescription pain killers. But Phil didn't speak of that he tried to forget it as he went to bed each and every night.

He stepped up to the table, looking over the remaining food and sighing, the smell of hot dogs burning into his nostrils. He was tempted to take a bag of the brownies and run away to the back of the church and eat them where no one could see his sin. But he refrained.

He was about to turn around and head back to the roadside with the sign when he heard a set of foot steps behind him. Turning, he spotted the baby pink out of the corner of his eye.

It was Daniel Howell, Pastor Howell's son from the Methodist church across the street. They were also having a bake sale today, conveniently planned like always, and were making much more money than they were at the Assembly of God church.

He was dressed in his normal attire, which Phil was shocked he was even allowed to given he was the pastors son. A pair of barely there pink high waisted shorts and a light blue cropped shirt that barley touched the waistband. His hair was in curls and his legs looked miles long in his shorts.

Phil would be lying if he said it didn't affect him physically and mentally every time he saw Dan.
"Oh hello, Father Lester," Dan spoke with such a fake innocence, his fingers tugging at the purity ring that donned his finger.

Phil scoffed to himself. He'd heard all of the rumors about Dan and he knew that ring had no value to Dan anymore.

Phil's father turned where he was stood and gritted his teeth in a fake hello, "Oh, hello there, Dan."

Dan smiled at them, "We weren't busy anymore over there so I'd thought I'd come over and check out the baked goods, do you mind?"

Phil's dad shook his head and Phil watched as Dan smirked before walking over to the table, his hips swinging as he did so. He budged in front of the other people in line before looking over the cookies and brownies.

"Oh wow, these all look so good!" Dan's voice reeked of fake, "Did you make them, Mrs. Lester?"

Phil couldn't stand to watch any more of this. He scoffed in disgust and turned away, faintly hearing the conversation taking place between his mom and Dan. He knew how his parent's felt at Dan. They only spoke about it all the time and he was sure he was going to hear an earful of it when they get home.