Butterflies and Hurricanes

🌹FROM
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Rhensis/pseuds/Rhensis

Fucking on a piano 💕💕

Words:3056
----------------------------------------

He stares from the side of the stage, his eyes fixed on the hands pressing down gently on the keys. It's hard for him to fathom how such beautiful music can come out of what seems like such a simple gesture, and how frustrating perfecting the art can be. He's seen it, the pain and the tears, the behind the scenes of the notes pouring into his ears like the side of morning birds on a summer's day by the seaside. It makes him smile to see all the hard work of the boy he's watching play pay off on nights like this.

The audience is transfixed. It always is. It's hard not to be when Dan takes to the keys. When he starts to play, it's like a weight is lifted off Phil's shoulders. Just for the hour or so that he plays, Phil can forget about anything else. The bad things, even the good things, it all just floats away like smoke rings into the heights of the auditorium. It makes Phil feel free, without a single care in the world, and it's quite an addictive feeling.

Which is probably why he turns up to every single performance, never sitting in the audience, where his view of his boyfriend might be obstructed, but always in the wings. Sometimes he'll stand on the side where he has the view of Dan's back, he likes the view of Dan's muscles straining under his shirt, mostly due to nerves more than the playing itself. But usually, he chooses, like tonight, to stand where he can see Dan's face, the way that his expression rises and falls, the way that his eyes fall shut as he loses himself.

Another reason Phil always turns up. Dan is gorgeous, he really is, but he never looks quite as at peace as he does when he's playing for all these people, his talent on show for the rest of the world. The way that his eyes will crinkle slightly, the way that his nose scrunches up in concentration, it's all stunning. Phil loves it.

The performance is over far too quickly, and Dan stands up, pushing the stool backwards. The clapping is so loud that only Phil can hear it scraping across the wooden floor, only Phil can hear the way that Dan sighs a little as he realises how much everyone loved it. The brunette doesn't linger for long on stage, he's quickly skipping away, towards Phil.

With a grin on his face, Phil catches Dan in his arms as soon as he can reach, spinning him around and giggling a little. Dan smiles back, leaning forward to peck Phil on the lips, but Phil pulls away before he can, dodging the kiss and placing his lips on Dan's neck gently instead.

"Hello gorgeous," Phil whispers onto Dan's skin, and Dan shudders, eyes fluttering shut. No one is going to see them here; it's almost pitch black and everyone is too preoccupied clearing out the auditorium anyway.

"Was the show good?" Dan asks, almost anxiously. He constantly seeks Phil's approval, really it's quite cute, in Phil's eyes, and Phil chuckles at him. Dan bites his lip a little when he hears the laugh, and Phil feels Dan stiffen up, so he removes his lips from the younger's neck and looks up.

"Perfect. As it always is. And as you are,"

Dan rolls his eyes, but his lips prick back up again, and he tries to steal a kiss from Phil again. This time, the older man obliges, and their lips fit together as seamlessly as ever. They've rehearsed this more than Dan rehearses his piano solos, and they know exactly which keys to press.

"Are you coming home right away tonight?" Phil breathes against Dan's lips as he pulls away. He blows on them gently, soothing them. They're red raw, probably from the way that he tends to chew at them whilst he plays, and Phil wishes that Dan wouldn't do that, it has to hurt him.

"No. I want to play for a while, once everyone's gone. And I want to show you something anyway, and it won't sound great if I play it on our shitty little baby grand at home," Dan grumbles, and Phil chuckles.