Failure by Design

🌻FROM
https://archiveofourown.org/works/6604513#main

literally just fwb  :'(

Words:2136
----------------------------------

Dan finds the entire idea of being friends with benefits rather strange. Not quite friends because you find pleasure from screwing each other, but not quite lovers because you don't really have any romantic feelings towards the other person.

Yes, this was quite the predicament Dan has found himself in.

The thing is, Dan and Phil both expected to fall in love after beginning their little rendezvous. I mean, that's what happens in the movies, is it not? They start screwing, they ultimately realize the feelings that were buried deep within their chests and fall into a disgusting, pitiful love that no one else could break. They expected it to happen so it wouldn't really be a big deal if they just so happened to.

It was rather hard to keep this entire arrangement a thing, however. Especially after Dan had moved so he could attend university while Phil stayed at home. This left an entire hour drive between them, in which Dan would drive there over the weekend so they could 'get freaky' or whatever it is the cool kids called 'sex' these days.

They were just two best friends finding pleasure in each other, and that's all it really was.

Dan enjoys the way Phil's lips feel against his, biting and sucking and licking into his mouth. It was familiar, comfortable. There is no pressure to be something he isn't, no pressure to act like anything but himself. Phil was warm and tastes a little bit like home.

When Phil pulls away from the soft kissing, he would gently trail his lips over Dan's jaw, nibbling on the skin of his neck, and Dan would always sigh. His fingers would tangle in Phil's black hair, tugging gently and enjoying the way his lips felt on his skin.

"Have you fallen in love with me yet?" Phil would whisper in his ear, an everlasting joke between them ever since starting this over a year ago.

"No," Dan murmurs back, shivering a bit. "Have you?"

That was when Phil would grind his hips down, rutting harshly against Dan's crotch and drawing an elongated moan from the both of them. "Not yet," Phil breathes, and they would go back to kissing.

Dan likes it. He likes their arrangement, likes being able to kiss and fuck his best friend with no strings attached. He likes the fact that Phil isn't set on finding anybody else to do this with, and neither was he. This works and he loves Phil - of course he does - but he isn't in love with Phil.

And that's okay. As long as they are happy, screw what everyone else thinks.

Dan enjoys using his nails to scratch red lines down Phil's back. He always looks at them afterwards, when Phil is laying on his stomach on the bed and Dan is straddling his thighs, pressing his lips to the marks and tracing them with a gentle finger. "Do they hurt?" He would wonder, and Phil always smiles at him, shaking his head.

"I like them," he says, "because it means that I make you feel good."

Phil's own personal favourite action was pulling Dan's hair. He claims that he enjoys the little noises that Dan makes in response, small whines and hisses of pleasure. Dan doesn't mind, obviously. Whatever Phil enjoys, he ultimately does as well.

"You ready?" Phil whispers once they are both completely undressed. Dan is laying on the bed with his legs spread open, staring up at Phil with half-lidded eyes and red lips from kissing too much. At Dan's nod, he grins down at him, pressing a kiss to the top of his head and pouring a thick stream of lube onto his fingers.