Forty-Three

Sabina's POV - February 2019

Before I went to bed last night, Amanda asked if I could braid her hair for her. I didn't mind, I'd be up anyways. She was going to let me borrow her car for the day, so I had to drop her off at practice. 

"I miss your breakfasts"

"This isn't hard to make" I noted.

It took about 10 minutes to prep and cook everything. What was I making her for breakfast? My go-to breakfast, which was avocado toast. She requested that I'd substitute the slices of bread with a bagel so I did that.

"I know, but it doesn't taste or look the way you make them"

She was not the first to point it out. Hilary had attempted to make avocado toast and she ended up mashing the avocado before because it 'didn't' look nice. Same with Emily, she had mastered the avocado slice placement, but her fried or poached egg always oozed out while taking it out of the skillet/water. 

"What type of braid do you want?" I asked.

She took a sip of my coffee.

"I want two french braids, please"

I nodded and washed my hands before reaching for the hair comb she had set on the counter top. As she ate, I combed through her hair and began to braid. Halfway through the braid, I spoke up.

"So what did you think about Adrian?" I wondered.

I thought last night went well, but that was my opinion. 

"He's a bit shy"

Adrian was incredibly nervous last night, but warmed up to them.

"I don't think I've ever seen you smile the way you do around him"

Amanda and I went to college together, and we roomed together for the 2014 Olympics, so I would say she knew me pretty well.

"I admit, I thought he wasn't going to last this long"

I found myself laughing at her statement.

"He looks like a fuck boy!"

"I know," I said as I parted her hair to braid.

"You know Hils originally"

I cut her off,

"I know," I told her.

Hilary asked Adrian for my number hoping we'd hang out and I'd get laid. 

"She was just looking out for you"

I just shook my head.

"So has he really gone to class with you?"

"Yeah, a couple of times" I confirmed.

She hummed.

"Your ex-boyfriend never did that"

Since I said nothing, she continued.

"I thought it would be easy to compare them, but Adrian wins by a landslide. Your ex is older, yet Adrian looks like the mature one and he's younger than you"

I tied a hair band at the end of her braid and began to braid the other one.

"Does he do that often?"

Some of his teammates were surprised to find him reading a journal article once during a road trip flight. He always asked me for a copy of one of my weekly readings because he thought it would help me review it better. If he didn't understand something, he'd ask me for clarification. 

"What?" I wondered.

"Read your weekly class lecture material"

"Yeah" I answered.

"That's kinda hot, Sabs"

I laughed.

"Have you seen the way he looks at you?"

She was not the first to bring it up. Stevie had been the first to mention it. Nana had noticed it during Thanksgiving dinner, and Dani had seen it during the Brodzinski wedding. 

"You should see the way he looks at you when you're talking. I don't think you notice, but he looks at you in like aww. It's not a sexual 'I want to fuck you' look though, it's more of a 'damn I'm a lucky guy' kind of face"

I finished braiding her hair and took a seat across from her.

"So I take it you like him?" I questioned.

She smiled.

"Yes, I'm happy for you"

I reached for my phone as it chimed. 

"Adrian?"

"No, it's my dad" I replied.

It was a good morning text.

"What does your dad think about Adrian?"

"Dad likes to mess with him, but he likes him" I answered.

I had the seal of approval from dad. 

"He's happy if I'm happy" I added.

She smiled.

"That's good"

"Should we head out?" I wondered.

She nodded and once we were in the car, she spoke up

"Thanks for making dinner last night"

"Thanks for having me over," I told her.

"Always"