Chapter 21

The car trip home was tensed.

Zhen Zhen knew Yue Gu Zai was angry about her running off to work, but he didn't own her freedom.

'Who's that man?' Yue Gu Zai asked.

'Oh, he's Reynold,' Zhen Zhen said. 'You met before.'

Yue Gu Zai couldn't remember someone irrelevant like Reynold.

'Did you eat dinner with him?' Yue Gu Zai asked.

It was true Zhen Zhen did eat dinner with Reynold even if he was an irrelevant man. But she didn't know how to answer Yue Gu Zai's question without making him angrier.

'I usually eat dinner with you,' Zhen Zhen said.

Yue Gu Zai didn't say anything else and the tension in the car intensified. Only Bai Yu Tian was unaffected.

'Tomorrow I'll escort you to see your parents,' Yue Gu Zai said suddenly.

The hair on Zhen Zhen's body all rose. 'No! My parents are ordinary civilians. A boss like you would scare my parents.'

'I've prepared everything to meet your parents,' Yue Gu Zai said. 'We'll leave early in the morning to go to your parents' house.'

Zhen Zhen pouted her lips and mumbled, 'toxic man.'

Later that evening, Zhen Zhen was too upset with Yue Gu Zai. She slept on the bed with her back facing Yue Gu Zai the whole night, but he didn't change his mind.

Early the following morning, Zhen Zhen's back was sore from sleeping in an awkward position. On the way to her parents' house, Yue Gu Zai massaged her back but her back was still sore.

At Zhen Zhen's parents' house, Zhen Zhen's mum opened the door and was surprised to see Zhen Zhen.

'Old man, your daughter's home,' Mrs Zhen said.

'Old woman, there's no reason for you to be emotional just because she's home,' Mr Zhen lied.

Mr Zhen missed his daughter. He hadn't seen his daughter for a long time, but he spoke calmly, 'You finally decide to visit. I thought you don't know how to part with your lab. Where's my grandson?'

'Dad, Zhen Wu's at school,' Zhen Zhen said.

Zhen Zhen was too happy to see her parents that she forgot about Yue Gu Zai.

'What's so good about school?' Mr Zhen said. 'My grandson is smart enough to go to college. Missing a day at school isn't an issue. I think you didn't let him visit, because you're scared I'll monopolise him.'

'Old man, what are you saying to your daughter?' Mrs Zhen asked and glared at Mr Zhen.

Mrs Zhen noticed a tall man was standing behind her daughter. 'Who is this gentleman?'

'Hello aunty, my name is Yue Gu Zai,' Yue Gu Zai greeted. 'I'm Zhen Zhen's husband.'

'Husband...' Mrs Zhen said in a startled tone of voice.

'Mum, don't listen to his nonsense... he's... my boyfriend,' Zhen Zhen lied.

Zhen Zhen was scared to tell her parents the truth about being married to Yue Gu Zai, but if she said she had no relations with Yue Gu Zai then Yue Gu Zai would be angry.

'Mum, dad, aren't you two always nagging me about being in the lab all day long?' Zhen Zhen asked. 'Now I'm bringing my boyfriend home to meet mum and dad.'

'Oh... then come inside,' Mrs Zhen said.

Inside Mr and Mrs Zhen's house, Yue Gu Zai presented the gifts he asked Bai Yu Tian to buy.