☂Chapter 1☂

《•••The Past•••》

A young girl, not older then fourteen, was sitting in a big, black chair. Her hands strapped to the arm rests, bright blue eyes big with fear. "I don't want to do this," she said in a small voice. Only to be ignored by her father who was standing a few feet away, talking to a dark skinned man. Kiara almost jumped out of the chair when she felt a hand on her shoulder.
     "Hold your horses, Kiki! It's just me." Kiara relaxed when she recognized her friend, Klaus, who had walked up to her from behind.
     "Please, don't let him do it. You need to help me." Klaus looked worried at his sister, considering his next action, but quickly nodded. He started to pull on the straps.
     "Number Four! Stop that this instance!"
      Four pulled his hands away at hearing the accusing voice of their father. "B- but she doesn't want-"
     "We've been over this. Number Eight will do this, if she wants to or not is irrelevant. Now, Number Four, leave this room."
     "No," Kiara looked at Klaus as the panic of having to go through this alone got to her. She kept shaking her head with pleading eyes. "Don't leave me alone." She asked, her voice almost a whisper. 
     Klaus looked back up at Mr Hargreeves, "father, I want to stay. I'll just stand here, I won't do anything, I promise."
     Sir Reginald looked from one of his children to the other before making his decision. "Very well, Number Four, you can stay." A small smile appeared on the young boy's face as he locked eyes with his scared friend. "Now, Otto," Mr Hargreeves addressed the dark skinned man. "I trust that you'll do your job flawlessly."
    The man nodded. "Of course Mr. Hargreeves." Was his response as he opened his big case and took out the needles.

   You don't need to be a genius to understand that little Kiara was terrified. Strapped to a big chair while a big stranger is going to inject her with some not-so-big, but still quite painful, needles. And I'm relieved that the young girl's father let her have the support of her adopted sibling. Since his presence did calm the girl's head ever so slightly, just as she had done for him many times before. And I'll tell you about those times later, just like you'll find out what the dark skinned man is going to do with those needles. Only for now, let's continue the story, but then, in the present.

《•••The Present•••》

Kiara shut the door to her apartment behind her, locking it so only the people with a key could come in. She threw her bag on the couch, not giving it a second look before walking into the kitchen. Hungry, but having a dinner date with her sister Vanya in one hour, she only took a lollipop from the glass bowl before going into the bathroom. The woman bound her grey and blue died hair into a messy bun after taking the wrapper off the lollipop and putting it in her mouth. While sucking on the candy, Kiara made a bath with warm water and lots of soap like she always did after a long day of work. She striped before getting into the bath, sighing reluctantly as the warm water helped her muscles relax.
     The young woman put in her earphones, pressing play on a secret favorite song of hers. ((Press play)) the moment the song started playing she looked at her hands. The black, leather like gloves still covering them entirely. Kiara stared at them for a little longer, before taking them off. She lay them down beside the bath and let her hands slide into the hot water. When Kiara noticed nothing happened when her hands made contact with the water, she closed her eyes and let her body relax entirely.
     She loved those little moments, those moments she could truly relax. Let all the troubles of her life drift away, just, living in the moment. How dull those moments may seem to somebody else.

   Unfortunately for Kiara, her moment of rest got disturbed by a sound out of the living room. First, she took out one earphone, thinking she heard the door open and close. The woman focused on the sounds around her, but didn't hear anything besides from the music that was still playing through the earphones. Kiara was about to put the earphones back in when a loud sound of glass shattering on the ground scared her.
     As quick as possible she got out of the bath, put on her panties, gloves and an oversized t-shirt that she had laying around on to be sort of covered. She didn't bother to dry her body, only her left arm, where she immediately drew a flame on with one of the sharpies she had scattered all over her house. 
     The woman slowly walked towards her living room. As she walked closer she could hear the shattered glass tinkle and scrap over the wooden floor, together with the sound of the intruder's voice. Who was mumbling to themselves, but what they said exactly she couldn't tell. The moment Kiara turned the corner, a ball of fire in her hand, ready to attack or defend, she recognized the intruder. It was a man, short and curly dark hair, wearing tight skinny jeans and a black coat with a big, fur collar.
     "What the hell are you doing?" Kiara asked her adopted brother while letting the fire disappear.
     At the sound of Kiara's voice, Klaus- or better known as Number Four- turned around. He looked at Kiara as if he got caught stealing. Which she thought she actually had. In one hand, he was holding some shards of glass and with the other he was pressing lollipops to his chest. Apparently, he had knocked over her bowl of lollipops and broke it in the process.
     Klaus's expression was shocked at first, not having noticed his sister enter the room. But soon his expression changed. A big smile plastered on his face, "hey Kiara-nova! Haven't seen you in a while! How've you been? Going to the gym often by the looks of it." With his last sentence he eyed her up and down. Taking in her wet, almost entirely naked body.
     "What are you doing here, Klaus?" Kiara completely ignored his question and comment. "How did you get inside?" She was used to her brother's flirtations and was annoyed that he interrupted her bath time. Besides, she was positive she never gave him the key to her apartment.
     "Your key was under the doormat."
     Kiara rolled her eyes, "I don't have a doormat."
     "Did I say doormat? I meant, it was above the door in the- the notch, thingy." Klaus lifted his hand up as if he was taking the key from above the door.
     "No it wasn't."
     "I'm sure it was."
     "No it- I don't keep a key by my door-" Kiara face palmed, taking a deep breath to stay calm.  "Why are you even here? I told you to stay away until y-" 
     "Yeah, yeah I know," he interrupted Kiara. "I had to stay away 'till I was clean. And I am! Look," Klaus dropped the lollipops and glass without thinking. The moment the glass hit the ground it shattered in even smaller shards.
     Kiara crimped in at the sound, "Klaus!"
     Klaus only looked down at the ground for a second, mumbling a "whoops..." Before turning back to his sister with a cheeky grin. "Look..." he said while grabbing inside of the small, tight pockets of his jeans, his hands barely fitting inside, trying to find something. When he found it he held it up before Kiara's face. "I'm clean now! See? I've got the golden... -thingy!" Klaus presented the coin as if it was the most important accomplishment in his life.
     Kiara looked at it before taking it out of her brother's hand, examining the golden coin. "You aren't shitting me right now, right?"
     "Of course not! I would never lie to you!"
     Kiara glared at him, "March 22nd, 2003." Were the only words she had to say to prove him wrong.
     Klaus rolled his eyes at her comment, "that was one time!"
     Kiara scoffed, "no  it's not. You know it's hard for me to tell emotions while you're high, or drunk. You've used that against me too many times."
     "Don't be so bitter about it, Kiki. You're starting to sound like dear old Diego." Klaus walked around her, picking up a lollipop from the ground, taking off the wrap before putting it in his mouth. "I'm clean now! No drugs, no single drop of alcohol in my system. Don't I deserve a little love?" Klaus looked up at Kiara with his puppy eyes and a pouting lip. "I mean, I did it all for you," he spoke to her in a slightly softer voice. Kiara rolled her eyes, knowing Klaus was just sucking up to her, but couldn't help the small smile on her lips from forming.
     "I am going to change into something more, covering."
     "What? Why?" Klaus asked, sounding a bit too disappointed, "you look quite sexy in that shirt and all wet."
     Again, Kiara rolled her eyes and shook her head, "you better have this mess cleaned up when I get back or I'll have you clean my entire apartment and my motorcycle."
     Klaus saluted at his sister as she walked back into her bathroom,  "yes ma'am."