Chapter 0

《•••Introduction•••》

On the 12th hour of October 1st, 1989, 43 woman around the world gave birth. This was unusual because non of these women had been pregnant when the day first began.

Sir Reginald Hargreaves, billionaire and adventurer, set out to get as many as he could. In the end, he got eight. He called them, Number 1, Number 2, Number 3, Number 4, Number 5, Number 6, Number 7 and Number 8.

You think that's weird? Their names? Well, don't worry, later in their lives they'll get 'normal' names. But that's about it. Everything else in their lives is anything but normal. Including their mother, Grace.
     Of course Grace wasn't their birth mother, but she wasn't quite their adoptive mother either. For you see, Sir Reginald was a widower when he adopted the eight children and he never re-married. No, at first, he hired nannies to take care of the children. But, due to specific circumstances that I won't be clarifying right now, the nannies didn't last long. So Mr Hargreaves came up with a different solution. He build them a nanny and called her Grace. Grace looked human, she sounded human, but she was not human. She was a machine, an android. Built to take care for the children, to be their mother. And that's what she was.

Grace was the one who gave her children their 'normal' names. All except for Five. Why not Five? That's not relevant right now, but maybe you'll find out some other day.

Now, I hear you all asking, 'what was there so special about these children that they need an android as mother and numbers instead of names?' Or maybe you don't need to ask, because maybe you are one of the 43 children, one that wasn't adopted by Sir Reginald, but born with the ability to see the future and you've already seen everything that's about to happen. But, for the ones who don't have such an ability, I'll tell you anyway; every single one of these children had abilities far beyond the ordinary. Together they formed: The Umbrella Academy. A group of famous, crime fighting siblings. Well, all except for Vanya, or better known as Number 7. She didn't have a special ability, unless you count her talent to play the violin- which I do count as a special ability. And in every normal family it would've been treated as such and praised by the parents until it became annoying to everyone around them. But this family wasn't normal, and Number 7's ability to play the violin ever so beautiful, got treated like it was nothing special. And Sir Reginald wouldn't miss a single opportunity to let Vanya know just how ordinary she was.

Now I've told you about Grace and Vanya, let me tell you something about the other Children, their names and their powers.

First, there is Luther, better known as Number 1 or 'Space Boy'. He was the leader of the Umbrella Academy. The blonde boy had the ability of super human strength. He could already throw a grown man in the air as if he was a small football when he was just a toddler. Luther had a very special bond with Number 3 while they were growing up. That bond faded over the years as Number 3 chose her own path and Number 1 stayed with their father. At some point Luther got heavily injured, forcing Mr Hargreaves to inject him with a serum that resulting in Luther being half human- half Gorilla (Without any of his siblings knowing). Soon after, Luther left for a mission on the moon, where he stayed for several years.

Second, there is Diego, better known as Number 2 or 'the Kraken'. Diego has been known for his abilitie of knife throwing with inhuman accuracy. Something he's lesser known for, but I still see as a very special ability, is Diego's ability to hold his breath for an absurdly long time.
    Growing up, Diego had a bad stutter. Grace helped him get over it over time, resulting in them having the strongest mother and child bond from all the siblings. Beside from having a stutter, Diego always had the desire to be the best, be the leader of the group. He never really let go of those emotions.
     After he left the Umbrella Academy he became a vigilante in the city. He would help people in his own way, due to these activities he build a bond with one specific female police officer. 

Third, there is Allison, better known as Number 3 or 'the Rumor'. Allison's powers are a bit more complicated, she can alter reality by spreading a rumor.
     Growing up, she used her powers to get what she wanted. Only after leaving the Academy, becoming a well known actress and loosing custody of her daughter, Claire, she stopped using her ability. 

Fourth, there is Klaus, better known as Number 4 or 'the Seance'. Klaus has multiple abilities, levitation, telekinesis and he could talk with the dead. Of course, he barely uses any of his power since he needs to be sober for them to work, which he almost never is.
     Growing up Klaus got close with Number 8 after their brother, Number 5, had disappeared. After leaving the Academy, he stayed with Number 8 from time to time. Frequently stealing her money or fallible objects to get drugs or alcohol. Which, of course, she didn't appreciate, resulting in her not letting him stay over anymore until he was sober.

Then there was Number 5, his other name- if he had one- isn't known to the public, although he could also be recognized as 'the Boy'. Number 5 had the ability to make small jumps through space, which he used for almost everything. At the age of 13, he tried to jump through time as well. He succeeded, but got stuck. Never to be seen or heard from again.

Number 6, better known as Ben or 'the Horror'. His ability was a little more gruesome than his siblings'. He had a dark creature living inside of him, coming out of his stomach in the form of giant, octopus-like tentacles.
     After an accident, that was fatal for the young boy, he stuck around on earth. Following his brother Klaus around, since he was able to see him no matter how high Klaus got.

Number 7, better known as Vanya. I already told you some things about her. But I'll say it again just for the sake of it.
    Vanya didn't have special powers like her siblings. She did, however, have a natural talent for playing the Violin.
   Number 7 always fell outside of the group. She couldn't go on missions or train with them. Only Number 8 was very fond of her sister. Trying to include her in the games and listening to her playing the violin. Vanya and Number 8 were the only ones who actually kept contact after leaving the Academy.
     After leaving, Vanya started playing the Violin in an orchestra. She played the third Violin and beside from this, she gave Violin lessons for a living. That wasn't the only way she made money though, Vanya wrote a book. A book about growing up with her siblings and her father. What the book specifically said, I do not know. What I do know, is that it was bad enough to piss off most of her siblings. Especially Diego.

Last but not least, Number 8, better known as Kiara or 'the Artist'. Kiara didn't showcase her powers as soon as everybody else. The first 6 years of her life everyone thought she didn't have powers, just like Vanya. So it came as a big surprise to everyone, including herself, when she made a bed of flowers grow on the table. You see, Kiara's powers lay within her skin. If she draws something on herself, she'll get the power of that image. Words don't work and she never knows what kind of powers were linked to a specific image until she tried it out. Besides the unpredictability of the drawing, the powers would get more unstable the more the image faded from her skin. Resulting in some pretty horrifying, but sometimes funny, accidents.
    Number 8 and Number 5 had a strong connection while growing up. This connection got stronger after Kiara discovered her powers. So it will be no surprise to you that the disappearance of 5 hit the young girl the hardest. The closest people Kiara had to a best friend after 5, were Vanya and Klaus. It was never quite the same, but she wouldn't want it any other way.
    Kiara always struggled with her adopted father. Not wanting to obey him, disagreeing with almost everything he said. Kiara was very stubborn, but had a big heart. Almost since the day she could stand she had the urge to protect those who she thought needed it. Which was a good thing, but not always in her family.
     Due to her bad relationship with her adopted father, Kiara was the second one to leave the Academy. Since she had been practicing drawing ever since her powers got discovered, she ended up working as a tattoo artist under the name: 'Freaky Kiki.'
     I hear you all thinking: 'why didn't she just get tattoos so she had permanent powers?' Well, she did. Only not voluntary and it did not work out the way it was intended.

There are a lot more things to tell about the eight children and the way they grew up. And I will tell you all I know in this book. Just not in this chapter. The rest of the story you'll discover in time. For now, just be patient.

《•••☆•••》

A/n: what is this? The first chapter of a new book??? Yep! That's what it is! I hope you enjoyed it, let me know what you think in the comments and as always, feel free to help me correct my spelling and grammar XD

~Purple Dragon (27/02/19)