☂️Chapter 19☂️

《•••The Past•••》

It was a late summer night, the heat from the heatwave that had been hovering through the streets like a thick, damp blanket was worse than any there had ever been before. Even now, when the sun had disappeared from the sky for several hours and the fresh night breeze slowly filled the air, the almost suffocating heat was still there, waiting for the moment the sun woud come back once more. The sky, that had known nothing else but clear blue for the last few weeks was finally filled with dark clouds which appeared black in the darkness of the night.
     A young girl sat in the frame of her open window. Her blue eyes gazing at the dark sky, taking deep breaths so she could feel the fresh air float through her longs for as long as it lasted. Kiara, just like the rest of her siblings, were supposed to be sleeping, but not tonight. All of them were still awake when the big clock in the living room stroke eleven, waiting for the sign of their adopted brother. The sign that their father had fallen asleep.
     It took another twenty minutes before there was a flash behind Kiara, making her turn around in the window frame. A smile came on her lips when she saw Number Five standing in her bedroom. "Finally!" The girl exclaimed in a whisper voice. "What took you so long?" 
     "Dad was working on something and it's not like I could just tell him to go to bed now, could I?" 
     Kiara rolled her eyes playfully while walking to her friend, "really? Seems like I overestimated you. My bad, sorry. Won't happen again." Five groaned in annoyance, also rolling his eyes, before pulling Kiara by her waist so their chests were pressed together, but they could still look at each other. Not expecting this, Kiara let out a short yelp, that made a grin of satisfaction appear on the boy's face. Kiara hit Five on the chest with her one hand that wasn't pressed against his side. "Was that really necessary?" She whisper-yelled at him.
     Five's grin only widened, leaning a bit closer to her face, "yes." Was the last thing he said before teleporting both of them to the corner of the street. Kiara seemed to be the sixth sibling that Five got outside. Still with a wide grin on his face, Five let go of his friend and teleported back inside to get Ben. Shaking her head, Kiara walked up to her sister Vanya. Vanya was sitting on the curb of the road, staring up at the clouded sky. 
    "Are you sure about this?" Vanya asked her adopted sister when she noticed her presence. "It looks like it's going to rain." 
     A smile appeared on Kiara's face, excitement filling her eyes. "Of course! Besides, I would kill for some rain right about now."
     "That's a little dramatic," Luther said, sitting down beside Vanya on her other side. "And not necessary."
     "Exactly," Allison spoke up from behind them. "Besides, I already killed someone to get the heatwave, killing another person is just a waist of lives." 
     "Ooow!" Klaus exclaimed as if he only now realized something. "So you're the reason that cranky old woman won't shut up about you! I thought she just was a stalky fan or something." All the siblings started laughing, even Diego. 

Not long after, Five had brought all the siblings outside and they made their way to their secret hangout. Griddy's Doughnuts. It was a donut shop a few streets away from the Umbrella Academy, and even better, it was opened twenty-four-seven. The Hargreeves children found out about the place on one of their missions, Five had been the one to notice it first, one night he took Kiara to it and after that time they ended up going with their other siblings as well. 
     The shop hadn't been there for long, only for a few months. The owners were an older man and woman, with their daughter Agnes. Agnes was the one who mostly worked the night-shifts, just like this time. The shop had been entirely empty when the little bell above the door made it's clear ding-a-ling sound and the place got filled with the happy, enthusiastic voices of the eight children. Agnes smiled at the siblings, she enjoyed it when the Academy kids would visit the shop, it was always something interesting. Allison would talk with the woman, talking about the things that had happened to them or gossiping about the boys in the neighborhood. Diego would challenge other visitors for a game of darts, mostly grown man or truckers that stopped by the shop for a cup of coffee. They almost always excepted and ended up pissed off for loosing to a child, which was very amusing to the other visitors. 
     This time, Kiara was sitting in one of the booths, Vanya in front of her and Klaus beside Vanya. The two sisters were engaged in their own little conversation, until they got interrupted by their brother. "Kiki, look!" Klaus urged his adopted sister, making her and Vanya look over at him. The boy had a donut with strawberry glazing balanced on the tip of his nose. 
     "Very impressive, Klaus." Kiara said with a hint of amusement in her voice. Her eyes scanned the room, quickly finding Diego who was throwing darts, as always. "Diego! throw a dart this way!" She asked her brother. Without hesitation, Diego threw one of the darts through the  hole of the donut that Klaus was balancing on his nose and got stuck in the wall. Making Vanya squeal a little in excitement. 
     "Not the walls, young man!" Agnes addressed Diego sternly.
     "Sorry, ma'm." Diego apologized before continuing his game.   
      Kiara pulled the dart out of the wall and held it in such a way that Klaus could see what it was. "Let's try this." She said with a smirk before leaning over the booth, trying to balance the dart-arrow on top of the strawberry donut. After several attempts of Kiara, Vanya and Klaus, it was Vanya that got the dart to stay on top of the donut. The young girl cheered in triumph, together with the other two. Unfortunately, it didn't last long, because Five sat down beside Kiara and snatched the donut from Klaus's nose before taking a bite out of it. "Five!" Kiara bit at her friend while hitting him on the back of his head. 
     "That's mine!" Klaus whined while trying to grab it back from Five across the table, but Five only had to move his arm backwards to keep it away from him. "Not cool man," Klaus mumbled as he let himself fall back in his place with a pouting lip. 
     Kiara rolled her eyes at her two adopted brothers, but instead of scolding them, she handed Klaus one of her own donuts. "Here, have mine."
     "But-" Klaus started to protest, but Kiara didn't let him. 
     "I'm full." A bright smile appeared on Klaus his face before happily biting down in the donut. A sudden bright light flashed from behind the windows of Griddy's Doughnuts, quickly followed by the loud sound of thunder that filled the air. The children, a little startled by this, fell silent. All of them turning their attention to one of the windows. "It's raining." Kiara stated once she noticed the little drops of water that stuck to the other side. Without warning, Kiara pushed Five out of the booth they were sharing. 
     "Hey! What was that fo-" But before he could finish, Kiara had pulled him up from the ground and dragged him with her to the closed entrance door. 
     "You shouldn't go outside," Agnes tried, seeing Kiara racing towards the door. "It's storming!" But the girl didn't listen as she pushed against the glass of the door and ran into the street. The cold rain feeling refreshing against her hot skin. Five, who had stopped just beneath the small roof that stuck out to support the shop's sigh, laughed, seeing Kiara so happy with a little rain. 
     "You're like an overenthusiastic dog." He told her, but she didn't care. The young girl only stuck out her tongue at him.
     "And you're like an old, grumpy cat. Now come and feel the rain!" 
     "No, I'm good." Five reacted, but before he could walk back inside, Kiara grabbed him by his wrists and pulled him away from his dry spot. Losing his balance, Number Five tripped over his own feet and fell in a puddle that had already formed. Kiara, just as his other adopted siblings who had seen him fall, started laughing as the boy pushed himself up from the ground, growling in annoyance. Kiara wanted to help him up, but when she saw the look in his eyes, the girl took some steps back. "You're dead." He said, before lunging himself at Kiara. The girl shrieked and jumped back, running away from her adopted sibling. With a wide bow, Kiara ran back inside the shop, slamming the doors shut in Five's face. Forgetting for a moment that Five didn't need a door, she grinned and stuck out her tongue. But her feeling of superiority was just for a few seconds, because Five smirked back at her before teleporting behind her. He grabbed her around her waist, pressing her arms to her side. Immediately Kiara struggled to get free. 
     "Use your elbow!" Kiara heard Allison call to her, and so she did. Kiara slammed her elbow in Five's side, making him let go of her. Kiara dropped to the ground and ran away. Five recovered quickly, but before he could do anything, Kiara had jumped behind Klaus for cover. She had her hands grasped around his shoulders and peeked at Five from her save spot behind her human shield. Five tried to get past Klaus, but Kiara moved Klaus so he was still facing the boy. 
    "And that's enough," Agnes's voice sounded from way to close. She was standing beside the children, her hands in her side. "No more chasing or fighting inside this shop, understood?" 
     The children looked up at the woman, "yes Agnes." Kiara and Five said in unison while Kiara let go of her friend's shoulders.
     The woman smiled at the two, placing a hand on both their shoulders, "that's more like it."