☂️Chapter 22☂️

《•••The Present•••》

"Three days?" Allison asked Luther, handing him a cup of coffee.
     "That's what Five said." Luther answered, taking the coffee but not drinking out of it just yet. 
     Ruffly 7 hours had passed since five of the eight adopted siblings had had their encounter with Hazel and Cha-Cha. An encounter which went horrible wrong, just like almost everything the Hargreeves children attempted to do since the death of their adoptive Father. This time in the from of an Ice-cream truck and one of the siblings disappearing. Something that also seemed to happen a lot in their abnormal family. Of course I'm talking about the disappearing sibling and not about the Ice-cream truck. Even though I'm assuming most of them would prefer having an big, white and blue Ice-cream truck crashing through the walls of their home instead of one of their beloved family members being erased from the earth's surface. Of course I'm not counting Diego, since I'm almost one hundred per cent  sure he wouldn't mind if his adopted brother Luther would go up in smoke. I even think he would go get some ice cream from an Ice-cream truck to celebrate. 

     "The old basterd did mention the apocalypse, come to think of it." Klaus spoke up, sitting down cross-legged in front of the couch Kiara was sitting on. Just like Luther, Number Four and Number Eight had received a cup of coffee from their sister. "He just left out the part about how soon." 
     Five of the Eight siblings were gathered in the biggest living room of the Hargreeves mansion, sitting inside a circle just as they had done when they had gathered to discus their father's passing. Six if you included the spirit of Ben, who was sitting on the couch beside Kiara. She didn't know this, only Klaus knew their dead brother was pressant and only he knew where he was seated. Which was also the reason he didn't take a seat on Kiara's side, but in front of her instead. What Kiara did know, was that Klaus had been using again, which was confusing for her since she could also sense that he was detoxing. She wondered why he would have started his habit of consuming alcohol and drugs if he was just going to stop less than 24-hours later. 
     "But can we trust him?" Questioned Allison, getting Kiara's attention back to the matter at hand. "I don't know if you've noticed, but Five's a little-" She stopped talking, pointing her index finger at her head, turning it in small circles while whistling shortly. 
     "Our little psycho." Klaus said through a weak, almost not audible chuckle. 
     "It's true." Kiara stated after taking a sip of her steaming Chai latte. This turned the attention of her siblings to the woman. 
     During the big escalation with Hazel and Cha-Cha, there had been a piece of paper that had magically appeared inside her hand. She had taken a better look at it in the car while Luther sped away from the scene. It had been a letter from Five. It read:

Plan worked. Went with the Handler. Don't worry, will be back soon. 
-5

Kiara had shown Luther the note, since both of them knew what the plan had been. But right now that little message was of no use to any of them.
     "How're you so sure?" Diego, who was sitting on the couch in front of Kiara, asked. Ever since the incident from the day before, Diego's left arm was in a dark blue sling. It appeared that he had been shot in his upper arm. Kiara thought the color of the sling matched the blue and purple bruised skin around the eye where she had punched him and didn't really feel a lot of empathy for the man at the moment.
     "Because I saw the future." Kiara said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, barely glancing once at Number Two. But her statement only earned her even more confused looks from the others. "I mean, I saw Five's passed. So, our future. Besides, if he wasn't trying to stop the apocalypse, those lunatics wouldn't be chasing him now, would they?" The last part was directed at Diego.
     "That's why they were after him?" Diego asked, his tone of voice indicating that he realized that his anger towards their adopted brother had been misplaced. 
     "Yeah," Luther answered, noticing Kiara's eye roll of irritation towards Diego. 
     "What did you see?" Allison asked her sister. 
     Kiara sighed, leaning her elbows on her knees. "Ruins, mostly. Ruins and fire. Everything was destroyed, not even one building still standing." There was a pause. Kiara knew something more, but she didn't know if it was wise to tell them. Allison asked her to continue, only Kiara didn't. When her blue eyes met Luther's, she could tell he knew it as well. Without any words, the two decided it was Luther's turn to talk. 
     "Uh.... Apparently." He started. "We all fought together against whoever was responsible." Luther stopped there, clenching his hands around his cup of coffee and exchanging another look with Kiara, showing that he didn't want to tell them after all. In an attempt to escape the subject, he clicked his tongue, stood up from his stool at the bar and walked to the other side of the circle. "Okay. So, here's the plan. Uh- we go through Dad's research--" 
     "Wait, what?" Allison was the first one to protest, not falling for her friend's manoeuvre to change the subject. Almost immediately everyone except from Kiara was protesting as well, including Ben. 
     "Wait a tick, wait a tick, wait a tick." Klaus repeated himself until everyone fell silent and listened to him. "What actually happened the first time around?" 
     "Yeah. What are you guys not tellin' us?" Diego followed up on Klaus's question. "Come on, big boy," he addressed Luther, knowing he wouldn't get anything from Kiara. "Spit it out." There was an awkward silence while Kiara and Luther tried to communicate more through glances. The tension got stronger with the second, until they decided on Luther again. The blonde man avoided everyone's gaze while he started to take a sip from his cup. Right before he actually drank from it, he let out a short sigh and said as quick as he could: "we died." 
     "What was that?" Asked Allison, leaning a little closer to hear Luther's statement better. Only since Luther was still taking the longest sip of coffee in history, Kiara took it on herself to spit out the information. 
     "We died." Everyone fell silent again, giving each other weird and worried looks. Kiara could feel everyone's fear, concern and confusion rise to the max. Mixing together in the air until it felt like one big, suffocating cloud around them. This combined with her own feelings, stress and fatigue that had built up the past couple of days made her slip. She lost control over her powers for a split second, which was enough for a black umbrella to appear beside her in the air. It fell to the ground and sprung open. The sudden noise and movement caused everyone inside the room to jump, Klaus even let out a short scream. 
     Embarrassed, Kiara covered her umbrella tattoo, smiling sheepishly at her siblings. "Sorry 'bout that..."