☂️Chapter 18☂️

《•••The Present•••》

Once the four siblings made it back to the car, it was Kiara's turn to sit in the backseat. Luther had carried Five out of the library. The moment he lifted his adopted brother off the ground, the boy was clinging onto the mannequin as if his life depended on is, only it wasn't very clear if Five himself was aware of that fact. Once everyone was inside the car, Diego and Luther turned half in their seats to look at the still sleeping Five, who was laying curled up against Kiara, his head on her lap while he still pressed the mannequin to his chest.
     Luther led out a deep sigh, "well, we can't go back to the house." He started. "It's not secure. Those psychopaths could come back at any moment." 
     The two siblings agreed, "my apartment is about 45 minutes from here." Kiara offered.
     "My place is closer." Diego spoke up. "And no one will look for him there." 
     "Okay, let's get going." Kiara said through a deep sigh from herself. She had a bad feeling about all this, even more than usual. First of all, she couldn't only smell the alcohol coming from Five, she also felt the boy's emotions, messed up by the liquid. Kiara knew Five had been frantically searching for the owner of that eye, hoping to stop the apocalyps from happening by doing so. The fact that he was lying on the floor in the public library, drunk, surrounded by notebooks filled with equations and the upper-half of a mannequin, didn't really give the impression that he succeeded. Kiara feared that Five may have given up on stopping the apocalyps, or maybe came to the conclusion no one can stop it. Both options didn't seem very appealing to the woman. 

It didn't take long before Diego parked his car on the side of the road and got out, followed by Luther. "Luth?" Kiara addressed her big brother. "Could you take him?" She asked through the open door.
     "Why me?" Luther asked.
     "Because you're the strongest out of the three of us." Kiara stated, smiling up at him. Hoping that would be enough to convince him. And it was. Because Luther nodded, squeezing himself inside the small space of the backseat and lifting Five out of it. Five still didn't let go of the doll, one arm tightly wrapped around it as he leaned his head on the bald head of the plastic thing. Once Luther was out of the way, Kiara also got out of the car. Stretching her back, it was still sour from the fight the night before. 
     "You didn't want him to puke on you." Kiara turned her attention to Diego, who looked at her with a knowing smirk while he locked his car. 
     "True." Kiara admitted with a smirk of her own, knowing Luther wasn't paying attention to them. 
     Once Diego was leading the way to his place, Five woke up. He belched, lifting his head up to look around. The moment he noticed he was with his siblings, he relaxed. "If you vomit on me-" Luther started, but he didn't finish his treat, because Five started talking, letting his head fall back in order to look at Kiara.
     "You know what's funny?" He started, non of his adopted siblings reacted, waiting for him to continue. "Aah! I'm going through puberty." He scoffed. "Huh. Twice. And I" Five chuckled, apparently finding his words funny. "I drank that whole bottle, didn't I?" 
     "Yep, you did." Kiara answered in a monotoon voice. She didn't think Five was going to say anything useful, just some drunk nonsense. Diego, who was walking in front of the three, looked back for a moment with a raised eyebrow.
     "That's what you do when the world you love goes bye-bye. Poof, it's gone." Kiara noticed this didn't effect her other two adopted brothers. She figured they either already knew, or didn't care about drunk-Five's words. "What are you guys talkin' about?" The boy changed the subject, looking up at Luther, who was still carrying him in his arms.
     Luther sighed, "two masked intruders attacked the Academy last night."
     "They came looking for you." Kiara continued, locking eyes with the drunk minor. There seemed to be some kind of guilt in his eyes, but only for a split second.
     "So I need you to focus." Diego spoke up. "What do they want?"
     Five tried to turn his head so he was looking at Diego's back, before answering his question, slurring his words. "Hazel and Cha-Cha."
     "Who?" Diego urged, while Luther started mumbling at the same time.
     "You know, I hate code names." Kiara, on her turn, only got confirmation on the name she thought she heard one of them call the other. Cha-Cha.
     "Ah, the best of the best. Except for me, of course." Five giggled a little through his words, as if his compliment to himself flustered him.
     "The best of what?" Diego asked, he was already done with his drunk brother. Only Five didn't answer his question, instead, he started to talk nonsense again.
     "You know, Delores always said she hated when I drink. You should've made me a Shirley-"
     "Hey!" Diego snapped, interrupting Five as he turned around. Making all of them stop walking.
     "Hm? Yeah?" Five turned his attention to the angry man in front of him, but he didn't seem bothered in the slightest by his anger.
     "I need you to focus. What do this Hazel and Cha-Cha want?" Diego had lowered his voice again, speaking very clearly so Five would understand. Only Five just stared at him, a big smile on his face, it wasn't a happy smile, it looked more daring, as if to say he knew something that they didn't and he wasn't going to tell, no matter what.
     "We just want to protect you." Kiara said sincere. Only Five didn't care about that.
     "Protect me." Five repeated, turning his unsettling grin to Kiara, as if she just said something ridiculous. "I don't need your protection, Kiara. I never did. Do you have any idea how many people I've killed?" Without waiting in a response, Five continued, earning an eye roll from his adopted sister. "No. I'm the Four frickin' Horsemen! The apocalypse is coming-" A wave of nausea hit the young boy, he bend over, emptying his stomach on the street.  Luther stared in front of him, taking a deep breath to stay calm and not look at his brother. Kiara immediately jumped away while Diego closed his eyes and turned to look the other way. At that point, the three realized this was going to be a long night.