☂️Chapter 15☂️

《•••The Present•••》

Kiara stood in one of the hallways of the Academy. It had been a few hours since she heard the voicemail message Brian had left her, asking her to have dinner with him and Kiara decided it was time to call him back. So she took the phone from the wall and dialed his number. After a few rings, he picked up the phone. "Hello? This is Brian."
     "Hey, Bry, it's me. Kiara. I-uh- I heard your voicemail and if you're still up for it I would love to have dinner tonight." It stayed quiet for a moment before Brian spoke up again.
     "That's great. If you want I could come over now and we could cook together?" 
     "Yeah, um... that's sounds like fun. I'm just not home right now." 
     "Ow, sorry. Since you said you heard my message I assumed you were home." Brian's voice sounded a bit suspicious, but Kiara let it slide.
     "I heard it some hours ago, actually. I wanted to call you back, but there was another family meeting and I had to go to the Academy again, I'm still there right now... There's just so much going on, so much to take care of... I-"
     "It's okay, honey. Your dad just died, I understand. What about, you come to my house, say, around half passed six? I'll cook and we can eat and talk about everything. Sounds good?"
     Kiara sighed, feeling a little relieved her boyfriend wasn't mad or anything. "That sounds great, I'll see you-" 
     The loud noise of gunfire down the hall made Kiara stop talking. Apparently, the gunfire was so loud that even Brian could hear it. "Kiara? What's that sound?" He asked, getting slightly concerned.
     "I'll call you back." Kiara said quickly before putting the phone back in it's place and running towards the sound of the guns. Only she had missed and the phone was now hanging on the court.
    "Hello? Kiara? What's going on?" Brian's alarmed voice could be heard through the phone, but there was no one around to hear it. 

As Kiara turned the first corner, she was faced with Diego who came running at her. He grabbed her arm and pulled her with him, "what's going on?" Kiara asked her adopted brother in a whisper yell as they turned another corner.
     Diego pushed Kiara against the wall, he himself did the same beside her, "two armed freaks with animal masks, shooting to kill." He whispered back while Kiara frantically looked for a sharpie, only to realize she didn't have one on her.
     "Shit." Diego didn't hear his sister mumble that, he looked around the corner and attacked one of the intruders. It was a big man with a blue mask that looked somewhat like a hamster. Diego first grabbed a hold on his gun, twisting it around, forcing the man to let go of it and threw it on the ground. While Diego kept kicking and hitting the guy, forcing him against the wall, Kiara jumped to the gun.
     "Cha-Cha, shoot them!" The man in the blue mask told his partner. This made Kiara look behind the two man to see a masked woman, holding the same kind of gun as she was. The woman's mask was pink and looked like some kind of dog.
     "Get out of the way, dumbass." The pink masked woman bit at her partner. At the same time, Diego headbutted the masked man, groaning as the mask was harder than he had expected.
     "Diego run!" Kiara told her brother, and after one kick in the masked man's stomach Diego ran, Kiara quickly following. The two ran as fast as they could while the intruder in the dog mask, that her partner had revered to as Cha-Cha before, kept shooting at them.
     "Follow me," Diego told his adopted sister just before he jumped down the balcony of the first floor, landing on the couch below. Kiara didn't hesitate before jumping after him, only she didn't land on the couch, instead she landed on one foot and one knee. Pain shot through her left ankle, but Kiara didn't have time to deal with it, Diego already pulled her on her feet and together they ducked behind the counter. Kiara frantically tried to get the gun to work, which Diego noticed.
     "Do you even know how to work that thing?" He asked her, trying to get over the loud gun fire from Cha-Cha.
     "No, do you?" She bit at him, but to her surprise, Diego nodded his head and Kiara handed the gun to him.
     "You got a pen or something?" Kiara asked, starting to panic that she couldn't rely on her powers. Diego shook his head no while trying to load the gun, before angrily throwing it away.
     "It's busted." Thinking quick, Kiara pulled one of her brother's knifes out of it's holster. "What are you doing?" Diego whisper yelled at her as he saw her cut in her own arm, drawing blood.
     "Improvising." She simple said while she covered her finger in blood and drew a circle on her arm in the red liquid.
     "Is that gonna work?" Diego asked, but before Kiara could answer, hurried footsteps entered the room. Diego scooted over to the edge, trying to see what was happening. Big mistake. Because the masked freaks saw him and started shooting again. Not able to go anywhere, Diego tried to make himself as small as possible, squeezing his eyes shut to protect them, waiting for the bullets to pierce his skin. But it never came. The moment he opened his eyes, he saw a dark red bubble around him, every bullet that hit the thing made it flubber and wave while making a weird, slimy sound. Dumbfounded Diego looked behind him, to see Kiara standing there, her arm stretched out in front of her with a glowing red circle on it. Even though it didn't have any effect, and the bullets got blocked by the disturbing shield, the masked woman didn't stop shooting, hoping that she would get through it that way. 
     What seemed out of nowhere, Luther grabbed Cha-Cha by her neck and threw her into the hallway, making the shooting stop. Almost at the same time, Allison appeared, kicking the masked man in an attempt to hurt him, only it didn't seem to have any effect on the big guy. Easily, the man blocked Allison's attack, before grabbing her by her throat and began to choke her. In the mean time, Kiara had made the bubble shield disappear, what caused the bullets that had gotten stuck inside of the substance clatter on the wooden floor.
     Diego immediately jumped up, charging at the man that was trying to choke their sister. "Let her go!" He yelled at him before starting to hit and kick the man, but again, with little effect. Not even when Diego jumped on the man's back and hit him on his head as hard as he could, the man in the blue mask didn't even flinch. Kiara, not knowing what else to do, made a red bubble appear in her hand and threw it at the man's head. When the ball hit the side of his head it exploded, the thick, red substance splattering everywhere. The masked man jolted back, if it was because of the impact or because it startled the guy, Kiara didn't know and she didn't care. She was just happy the man had let go of Allison, at the same time, Diego jumped off the masked man's back. Kiara immediately hurried to her sister, helping her stand while Luther grabbed the man and threw him across the room. Making him collide with one of the tables, breaking through it and landing beside his partner.
     "Who the hell are these guys?" Allison asked her adopted siblings.
     Kiara threw her hands in the air in frustration. "Hell, I don't know!"
     "You're welcome." Luther said to Diego, who was panting heavily.
     Not having his brother's comment, Diego glared at him. "I was doing fine."
     "You mean we," Kiara bit at him.
     "Oh, yeah, you really had them," Luther said, looking from Kiara to Diego.
     "Ever hear of a rope-a-dope?" Diego started, but the loding sound of a gun, followed by gun shots coming from behind them, interrupted him. Immediately, Kiara turned around, using her powers to put a bubble around the shooter and her partner.
     "Get out of here, now! Go!" Kiara yelled over the deafening gun shots. When Luther didn't ran as Number Two and Three did, Kiara sighed, not able to hold the bubble for much longer. "Luther, go!" This time, he did run after them. Kiara tried her best to keep the two intruders inside the bubble, but she couldn't hold it anymore and quickly ran after her siblings. Trying her hardest to ignore the pain in her ankle and the exhaustion that came with intensely using her powers.
     Kiara was getting closer to the others, but a familiar voice made her stop in her tracks. "Is everyone okay? Hello? Guys?"
     "Vanya!"Kiara yelled, trying to alarm her sister as she jerked around, just in time to see Vanya dodge the big, metal morning star the blue masked man swung at her head. Only to be hit in the head by the man's fist. The man recovered quick, swinging the morning star to hit Vanya in the back. Immediately Kiara stuck out her hand, making the flubbery shield appear around her sister. 
     "Hey, asshole." Luther's voice sounded from the other side of the room. Getting the attention of the intruder. The two looked at each other, silently challenging one another. Eventually, The man attacked first. Running to Number One in the other room. Kiara used this as her chance to get to Vanya, who was trying to get up from the ground.
     "Come on, Vee, you need to get out of here." Kiara said while helping Vanya from the ground and dragging her along to the other room, still able to hear the panting and grunting from their adopted brother fighting the blue masked intruder. 
     "Kiara," Vanya started, seeing her sister was having trouble walking. "Your ankle." Worry was in the woman's voice, but Kiara waved it off.
     "Twisted it, don't worry, I'll deal with it later." As fast as they could, Kiara pulled her adopted sister behind the counter, pushing her beneath it. "Don't get out, no matter what. Okay?" Vanya nodded, fear was visible in her eyes. Kiara also felt scared, but she had to help her other siblings. 
     There was a loud breaking sound, followed by somebody clearing their throat and footsteps coming closer. Kiara quickly glimpsed over the counter, to see the blue masked man, standing in the doorway, unarmed. The weird looking red liquid was still splattered on the side of his mask. Wanting to get the man away from her sister's hiding spot, Kiara jumped up, throwing another bubble at him that hit him on the stomach. It exploded as well, making the man take a step back from the impact, before looking down at his now red stained suit. "Aw, this was my nicest suit." The man mumbled, swiping some of the flubbery substance off of him.
     "Really? I think it looks better this way." Kiara spoke to the man with a fake smile before running at him. She made another red ball appear in her hand, hitting it against his masked face and took this moment to pull out Diego's knife that she still had and stabbed it in the intruders neck. Not having any time to jump away, The man hit her in the face, making her collide with the pillar behind her. She screamed out in pain before falling on the ground. Her head was throbbing as her vision became blurry and her world started to spin. In the distance she could hear te voices of Allison and Diego, but she couldn't make out what they were saying. Kiara was trying to fight the pain in her head, dizziness and her blurred vision as she pushed herself up. The blue hair of the woman fell in front of her eyes and she could feel her warm blood dripping down the back of her head into her neck and hair. There was the distant sound of crackling electricity, followed by the loud voice of Luther.
     "Out of the way!"
     "Luther!" Allison yelled, sounding panicked. That was enough motivation for Kiara to push herself on her legs. Staggering on her feet before the dizziness made her fall against the pillar. There were loud noises coming from the next room, clattering from metal and the shattering of glass.
     "I've got you," Vanya  said, wrapping her arm around her sister's waist to help her stand.
     "You need to hide," Kiara told her through heavy breaths while Vanya helped her walk to the room where the noises had come from.
     "I think they're gone." Vanya said. Kiara wanted to protest, but she fell silent once she took in the image in front of her. Luther, who apparently had been hit by the chandelier, which had fallen down somehow, pushed himself up from the ground. His clothes were still stuck to the iron of the chandelier, so they ripped open revealing a body that didn't look human. Luther's skin was touch, almost leather like, and in a dark grey color that also could have been black if the lighting in the room wasn't so bad. If that wasn't enough, the entirely of his arms and back were covered in black hair. All four of the siblings stared at their adopted brother with wide eyes and mouths hanging open. The only words spoken came from Diego, who muttered 'holy shit' to himself. 
     Luther panted as he pushed the entire chandelier off of himself, making it fall back on the ground and more of the glass light bulbs shatter in the process. Even though all of them stared at their brother, Luther only seemed to have eyes for Allison, clearly the most scarred for her reaction. Not able to handle the silence and stares anymore, Luther ran up the stairs, leaving his adopted siblings in confusion. 
     Allison walked to her two sisters, Kiara still leaning on Vanya, barely able to stand on her own feet. "Did you know?" Vanya asked Allison, who worriedly looked to the stairs where Luther just left, before looking back at Vanya.
     "No." 
     Kiara also wanted to ask her sister something, but a wave of nausea hit her, making her grasp her stomach before bending over, emptying the inside of it on the ground. "Fuck..." Kiara mumbled, before almost falling backwards. The only thing keeping her on her feet was Vanya. "I think I'm gonna..." Kiara started, but she couldn't finish her sentence. The dizziness and blurry vision started to take over, making the woman pass out. The last thing she experienced was Allison calling out her name while catching her, before her dead weight became to much for Vanya.