☂️Chapter 14☂️

《•••The Past•••》

It had been a month after Kiara had her hands tattooed. And if it even was possible, she hated her new abilities more than ever. The entire day, during breakfast, during training, during lunch and even now, during their half hour break, she couldn't get rid of the waves of emotions. They weren't even hers. They were from her siblings and her adoptive father. Somehow, her powers were more sensitive today than other days, which drove her insane.
     Right now, Kiara had locked herself in her room. Not able to handle other people's emotions anymore, she had curled up on her bed, silently crying in her pillow.
     "Kiara?" Grace's voice could be heard over Kiara's sniffs.
     "No," Kiara said, not wanting anyone near her. But Grace walked to her anyway. Sitting down on Kiara's bed. Laying a hand on the girls back.
    "What's wrong, Sweetheart?" There sounded concern in the woman's voice, but Kiara didn't sense it. Non the less, Kiara decided to answer.
     "I'm so done with everything."
    Grace carefully stroked Kiara's back, "do you want to tell me about it?"
     Kiara didn't immediately react, but eventually she pushed herself up so she was sitting in front of her mother. Grace smiled sweetly at the girl, using her thumb to wipe away her tears. "I can't stop feeling everything," Kiara said through some sniffs. "Diego keeps switching between angry, and jealous, and insecure. Ben is scared to use his powers. I mean, we all know he is, but I can feel how scared he is and it's making me anxious to only be around him. I have no idea what Klaus is doing, but his emotions are all over the place! One moment, he seems happy, the next he's panicking and then he seems numb. I don't know what it is but it feels awful! Vanya feels left out and insecure and scared and sad. I mean, really, really sad! I try to make her feel better but it's like anything I do changes anything! She says it does, but I can still feel how sad she is, Mom. Then there are Luther and Allison, who are so in love it's sickening!" While she talked, more tears of frustration streamed down her cheeks. Grace, who listened to every single word Kiara said, pulled her into a hug. Which made Kiara cry even more.
     Once the young girl calmed down a little, she started talking again. "And Reginald. He- he's so disappointed. And worried. And so many emotions I don't understand. I feel like I'm going crazy, Mom... I- I don't know what to do."
     Grace had started to stroke her daughter's hair, soothing her a little. "Emotions are difficult to understand, Kiara. And you, you don't only have to deal with your own, but also from everyone around you. That's hard. It's okay if it's too much sometimes. At those moments, just take a deep breath, and try to stay calm." Grace broke the hug, leaning back so she could look into Kiara's eyes. "And, the moment you can, you come to me and I'll bake you some cookies." Grace touched Kiara's nose with her finger, smiling at her. "Deal?"
     Kiara chuckled shortly at her mother's words, and the boop she got from her. "Okay." Kiara said in a soft voice, wrapping her arms around Grace's body and leaning her head on the woman's shoulder. Of course, Grace hugged back.
     "You're handling this very well, Kiara." She said softly, "and I'm proud of you. Not only for handling this, but also for caring so much about your siblings."
     Kiara didn't react and, after a long hug, the girl leaned back. Looking her mother in her eyes, "I love you."
     Kiara had never said those words to Grace. She didn't know if it was appropriate, since she wasn't exactly human. But the moment she said those words, Kiara saw something in Grace's eyes, something she hadn't seen before and it got followed by a feeling. A feeling of happiness and love. Only it weren't Kiara's feelings. "I love you too." Grace said eventually, a bright smile on her lips, before kissing her daughter on her forehead. "Very much."

《•••The Present•••》

"Vanya?" Kiara called out a little, knocking on the front door of her sister's apartment. "Vee, are you home?" Again she knocked on the wooden door, listening as well as she could, but no sounds came from the other side of the door. With a deep sigh, Kiara leaned against the wall beside the door. She had the feeling she forgot something, something that had to do with Vanya, but she couldn't think of what it was. 
     "She isn't home, dear. Miss Hargreeves left a while ago." Kiara looked up to see the old lady standing beside her. The woman was holding a red striped cat, which didn't seem to enjoy being held by the elderly woman. Kiara recognized her as Mrs. Kowalski, Vanya's neighbor.
     "Do you know where she went?" Kiara asked, still leaning against the wall.
     The woman thought for some time, before shaking her head, "I'm afraid I don't, but wherever she went, she seemed to be in a hurry. Even though I'm almost sure it was because she didn't want to tell me where Mr. Puddles was; he showed up just after she left. Isn't that right, Mr. Puddles?" The woman lifted her cat up in the air so she could look him in the eyes.
     "I'm sorry you keep loosing your cat, Mrs. Kowalski, but my sister has nothing to do with it. Maybe you should close your windows when you're not around, so he can't escape anymore."
     Mrs. Kowalski looked from her cat to Kiara, before taking her cat back in it's previous position in her arms. "I will the moment you stop dying your hair in all those unnatural colors."
     Kiara sighed, but still smiled at the old woman. "Nah, I like my hair like this. Maybe you should try it sometimes, Mrs. Kowalski. I'm sure bubblegum pink would suit you perfectly."
     Mrs. Kowalski scoffed, apparently offended by the woman's statement. "You have a nice day, deer." She started while opening the door to her apartment. "And please, tell your sister she needs to soundproof her walls, she has a new Violin student and the kid is the worst one so far."
     At that moment, Kiara realized where her sister was. Even worse, she remembered the thing she had forgotten. She was supposed to take her sister to her orchestra rehearsal, over an hour ago. Immediately Kiara ran back to the stairs, "I will Mrs. Kowalski!" Kiara called back while running down the stairs, grabbing her motor and speeding to the Theater where the rehearsal was supposed to be. The moment she got there she didn't even bother to take off her helmet as she ran into the building and to the room the Orchestra always was, but they weren't there anymore. There were, however, a few people clearing the stage. Kiara started to look for Vanya in the Theater, but when she couldn't find her anywhere in the building, she made her way back outside. Okay Kiara, think. If Vanya isn't here, and not at home, where would she go? Kiara thought, but the only place she could think of was her own house and since Kiara had totally forgotten to take her sister to her rehearsal, she doubted Vanya would be there. Non the less, aimlessly driving through the city in the hopes to run into her sister didn't seem like a smart thing to do, so instead, Kiara went home.