15

It was a very rare occurrence for me to not feel the need to go to school and today was that day. The reason was pretty clear. I did not have any courage to face Catherine. Call me a coward, I don't care, but I was totally not hoping to get into yet another encounter with her. Yesterday, God had mercy on me and sent Klaus to help me. Today, he might not feel any mercy.

I glanced at the clock and it was already my usual time to head towards the school. With a heavy heart, I got out of my room and walked to the kitchen, where I was assuming from the smell that mom was making pancakes.

I placed my bag on the kitchen counter and sat on one of the stools. My mom smiled looking at me and offered some pancakes to me which I gladly took. I didn't know my face showed any sign of worry or tension, until my mother asked me,

"Is something wrong, honey?"

"No, mom. Why would you say that?" I said, playing it cool, but we all know moms. They becomes the best detectives when you hide something from them.

"You haven't asked for the caramel syrup yet, that's why. You always pour caramel syrup over the pancakes before having it."

Wow, she knew me well.

"I was looking for a change today."

"Well, there's no change in the house. You can get some dollars if you want." She replied and I gave her my best 'are you kidding me right now' look which she brushed it off with a laugh.

"I was just kidding, relax."

"Please, mom! These PJ's doesn't suit you." I replied with a smile and gave her a hug before grabbing my bag and heading towards the front door.

Just as I opened the door, my body crashed with another body and I fell on the ground with a huge thump.

"Ouch!"

"Fuck, I am so sorry!" Well, I knew that voice. I looked up from my sore misery and found a pair of warm brown eyes looking down at me.

"Klaus."

"I was really not expecting you to stand by the door." He spoke, holding his hand out for me which I gladly took.

"Strange, I was thinking the same." I muttered and I saw a smile coming across his face.

"For a nerd, you have got a good sense of humour."

"Thanks, I guess." I said, putting a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Let's go then, we are already late."

"What?!" I almost screamed in shock and pulled back a little. He looked at me in amusement and well, that was just kind of embarassing.

"Something tells me that you don't want to be alone today." And the nervousness was back. He just had to bring it back. Yes, I was sweating with nervousness, but were we going to let him know that?

No.

"What are you even talking about?" And there goes my world famous line to play it cool.

"Don't even try to deny it. It's written all over your face." He said, amusement clearly written on his face and I could see him biting the inside of his cheeks to control the laughter which was about to escape.

I had never thought that a meeting with Klaus Michaels could go this well. I have always pictured him as a shady guy who would kill me for even smiling at him, but talking to him like two normal human beings does was beyond shocking for me.

He was always the type of guy who would scowl at every passing creature and honestly, I had never seen him smile in school, like never. And here he was, smiling and laughing with me like any other person.

Who wouldn't be surprised?

"I am not going to kill you Avelyn." This sentence made me sigh in relief, until...

"Atleast, not yet." He let out a good laugh at my frightened features and I didn't know whether to be afraid of him or act friendly.

I agreed, nonetheless.

Like I had any other choice, to be honest.

When we reached school, it was my time to start hyperventilating because everyone stopped what they were doing and I was not even kidding. He opened the door for me to come out and that was when I realised how stupid I must be looking sitting inside the car, biting my chipped nails.

I definitely need to get them done.

With shaky legs, I put one foot out and then other, taking deep breaths all these while to stop myself from doing something which could leave a scar on my student life because you know students—

Just blink your eye and they will spread rumours about how you have been diagnosed with some major eye disease and doctors have told that you might go blind in few months.

"Relax." He whispered and hold my hand while rubbing soothing circles on the back of my hand and it did wonders to calm my raging heart.

"Why are you so nice to me?" I blurted out and then instantly regretted it because the least I wanted was to get on the bad side of The Three.

"You remind me of my sister."

My eyebrows rose on this new information.

"You have one?" I asked as we started walking to the lockers, his hand still holding mine.

"Yes, no one really knows about her." Duh.

"She was just like you." He spoke.

"Was? And me?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Yes, the nerd-y kind. Always shy and reserved around unknowns, but crazy and fun around the known ones. The guilt of not protecting her when she was getting bullied in school always ate me and by trying to protect you, I feel like I am letting go of that guilt." I nodded in understanding, "Also, I used the word was because she is much more confident now than what she used to be in high school."

There was always so much about a person which needed to be known and when you know it, all the points click and make a perfect picture. I remember him always saving Inanna Chambers, the nerd from our class from Catherine. Sad, she transferred schools.

And maybe, just maybe, that was the reason why he had so much hate against Catherine— because she always bullied people.

"I don't mind you being a knight in shining armour for me." I said, with a laugh to lighten up the mood a little and it worked as the side of his mouth tilted a little.

"Promise me that you will come to me if anything happens, yeah?" He asked, holding his pinky out for me.

"Promise." I laughed and hugged him which he thankfully returned back. I would have just buried myself in the ground if he would have not.

And just as we were hugging and laughing, a very angry voice spoke,

"What the fuck is going on here?!"

••••••••

How are you guys liking the story line so far?