Chapter 17

I got out of the taxi and headed upstairs to my apartment. After JongIn said that to me, I couldn't think straight. I told him that I needed to go home and I quickly came out. I got out of the elevator and stepped up to my door. I punched in the password and went inside.

The lights in the living room were still on. I then realize that I just left Kris here. I looked around the living room but he wasn't there. I looked in my kitchen as I passed by to get to my room but the lights were out. I went to my room and the lights were off. I turned them on but there was no one in the room.

I guess he went home. I went to the kitchen to get some water but when I turned the lights on, I found some paper towels laid out on the table. I lift them up and find a bowl of porridge and some other side dishes. I totally forgot he made dinner.

I turned away to get some water. Then I came back with the glass of water and sat down. I should probably eat this. He did make it for me. As I picked up the spoon next to the bowl, I suddenly felt guilty. I just ran out of the house and ignored Kris. I should apologize to him tomorrow. He did do all this for me, after all.

I finished my plate, washed the dishes, and went back to my room. I washed up and changed my clothes. I checked my phone and find a text.

[Don't come to work tomorrow.]

It was from Kris. Wait ... Am I fired ...? I went to my contacts and pressed his number. The ring stopped and I knew he picked up the phone. But there was no answer.

"Kris ...?"

".........."

"Hey, say something ..."

There was a long pause before I heard his voice.

"How was it ..?"

I didn't get his question.

"How was what ?"

"What happened with him ?"

".... Not much ...."

"You're lying."

This wasn't what I called to talk about. I wanted to ask him about tomorrow. I'm hoping he's not firing me because of today. I don't even know what I did wrong but he seemed mad. And JongIn isn't really the topic I want to discuss with him. The fact that he knew I was lying was shocking. Why did he want to know ? It doesn't really concern him if I meet JongIn or not.

I didn't answer him for a while. And he was also silent, probably waiting for me to say something. I kept my mouth shut because I didn't know what to tell him. What can I tell him ? As I was trying to find another lie that I can tell him and figure out how I can change the subject to the text without him cutting me off and making me tell him, there was a click on the other end and then I heard beeps.

He hung up on me. Oh no, now he's really mad. I went to my messages to text him but the doorbell stopped me. I looked up from my phone. Did I really hear it or was it just my imagination ?

The doorbell rings again and I realize that it wasn't my thoughts. I got up from my bed and went to the door. As I opened it, the door swung open by a pulling force from the outside. I look up and find Kris. My eyes become big and when I tried to ask him why he was here, he abruptly walks in and grabs my wrist.

He leads me to the living room and plants me on the couch. I look up and follow him as he sits down as well.

"Talk."

I looked at him in shock. I didn't know what to say to him. Should I be mad at him for just barging into my house ? Or the fact that he's commanding me to tell him my personal issues ? Or the fact that I don't know why he's so angry with me ?

"Justine ..."

This times was different. The way he called me was soft and quiet. There was a slight pitch to his voice and it made it sound like he needed me to tell him. I look away because the tears started welling up as I retraced my evening.

I could feel his eyes on me. I couldn't look at him, but I wanted to tell someone...

"He ... He told me that he thinks he's still in love with me ..."

The tears started falling one by one.

"But he didn't love me ... So what does he mean when he says that he thinks he's 'still' in love with me ...?"

I heard my voice crack. I lowered my eyes down and my head followed.

"... Do you still love him ...?"

His question was surprising. I didn't even know. I know that I'm interested in Kris now, but what was this feeling ? I don't know why, but now that I think about it, I really wanted to stay with JongIn and ask him so many questions. Seeing how hurt he looked today, I wanted to forgive him. I wanted to hug him and accept his apology. But my mind wouldn't let me.

As much as I wanted to stay, my mind was yelling at me all the times that I cried over him. It wasn't fun after we broke up. I was emotionally unstable and my body was physically hurting. I would cry a lot and didn't eat much. I couldn't focus on my surroundings and often fell and got hurt. I couldn't concentrate in class so I got a few bad marks.

"Justine... Do you still love him ...?" Kris asked again.

This time, it was even more soft. I slowly shook my head. I don't think this is love. It's not the same feeling as I felt when I didn't find out his secret. I thought that was love...

"... No ..."

"Then ...?"

"I don't know ...." I shook my head and looked up at him with tears now falling from my eyes.

"I don't know ...."