||17||

".... Non existent, you all pass. Well done!"

"What?" I asked completely confused. An uproar started straight after but then people cheered after he explained that the 10th question was to see who would stick by for their teammates no matter if they could answer the question or not.

"Alright!" a woman came flying through the window, "I'm the second proctor and I'll be taking you guys to the next test!"

We all return to our groups and follow the madly energetic lady out of the room and then to a fence the separated the village from the forest of death.

"No way--" Yuuto mumbled, "are they completely berserk?"

"I guess it's just a challenge. Don't be a wuss. We've been up against worse," I tell him placing my hand on his shoulder in attempt to calm his nerves.

Shikamaru's PoV

Y/n seems to be getting on really well with her team.

I feel kind of jealous but I don't really know why?

"Do you think it's too late to back out now?" Choji whispered to me. I shook my head in disapproval.

"Choji, we're here for a reason. Don't go wimping out now," I whispered back as the energetic lady before us started explaining what's happening. We'll go into the forest of death with a scroll, heaven or earth, and we'll have to find the other and take it from a pair and go to the tower in the far edge of the forest where we will then pass to the next round.

"Sounds like a drag," I mumbled.

"Everything's a drag to you," a familiar voice popped up beside us and I saw y/n and her teammates near us, "all you do is complain..."

She shook her head playfully before having her attention snatched away from me by her team being paranoid. Well the red headed kid, Yuuto was.

"Calm down, idiot. You're not going to be any safer by being paranoid and terrified. No shinobi can live that way," she tells him firmly.

You can tell she's the leader of the team on missions when their sensei doesn't go with them.

"Plus, we've been through way worse. Remember that C Rank mission that we had to go on as a test to see if we could cope, I was barely able to rest," Riku told them. A C Rank mission? No way! So that weird guys cards were telling the truth?

Flashback

"I want to know more about y/n's team," Kiba says. Kabuto nods and pulled the card out.

"Y/n, Team 9. Gone on 32 D Rank missions, 6 C Rank missions and 4 B rank, 1 A Rank and 1 accidental S Rank, surpringly. Their team have been praised to be the ones most likely to become chunin this year... If any team does of course," Kabuto told us, reading the information.

"How did they manage to get on C, A and S Rank missions?" Naruto exclaimed in shock.

"The Hokage felt they were strong enough," Kabuto replied blankly.

Flashback end

"Be back here tomorrow morning bright and early. Be prepared for anything, you may end up in there for days," the proctor tells us. We all nod and then leave the area. I was about to go talk to y/n when she disappeared through one shadow and appeared in the shadow of the sand ninja. They all seemed to be great friends, strange... They seem incredibly intimidating, how'd she manage to become friends with them.

"Shikamaru, you're frowning again," Ino points out and I sigh, shoving my hands in my pockets with a shrug.

"This whole things such a drag," I sighed.

"You mean the fact y/n is talking to those scary sand ninja instead of you, is a drag," Choji corrected.

I stayed silent and started walking away. I don't really want to see that to be completely honest. I'll see her tonight anyway, I'm almost certain we'll be dragged to one of our houses.

°❄️°

Just as I thought, she was at my house with her father forcefully holding her in place as we all watched him push her into the house.

"Almost had a runner!" f/n exclaimed as we all sit down in our usual seating arrangement and started eating.

"I just wanted to train and pack up tonight," y/n sighed as she sat straight backed and ate her bowl of rice.

"Why don't you and Shikamaru train out back once you've finished eating?" Shikaku suggested.

"Dad don't sign me up for things," I groaning in slight boredom that really hid the happiness. I want to train with her and see how far she's progressed with her training.

"I'll train with him," y/n agreed. I frowned but looked away and smiled at myself. This is going to be fun.

Shikaku's PoV

He can complain and groan all he likes.

But I know Shikamaru like I know myself.

He is really close with the girl and I know he was extremely disappointed to not be on her team.

But now he can see how strong she's become.