||46||

After we had dinner the others split off so it was just me, Kiba and Shikamaru.

"Kiba, where's Akamaru?" I asked him as we walked through an old park and sat down.

"He'll be somewhere," he replied, "it's hard to miss him."

We all sat in silence.

Kiba's PoV

I should probably leave the two of them to do something together.

Maybe Shikamaru will face his feelings if I leave them alone together?

"Well I should find Akamaru, I'll see the two of you tomorrow?" I speak up, standing from sitting on a swing. Y/n smiled and nodded and Shikamaru just grunted in the way he does.

I left the two of them in their deadly silence and went to search for Akamaru. Last I saw him, he was with Hinata, where would she be this late?

Shikamaru's PoV

Kiba left and we just sat in silence.

I thank him for leaving me alone with her but I feel like I'm talking to a stranger again.

"Well, I think I'll be going home now then," y/n speaks up, jumping off the swing she was sat on and stretching. The sun had started setting so the whole area was just covered in orange and red hues.

She started walking away and I suddenly felt sad.

I know I don't want her to go, not again.

"Wait," I called her, she looks over to me and I stand up and walk over to her.

"Uh-- so.. Why don't you come over to my parents' place? I'm sure they'd love to see you," I suggested. I moved out a year ago but I visit often enough, she thought for a while but nodded and fell into stride with me.

"I've only heard you complain once today. Something on your mind?" Y/n asked as we were walking in a comfortable silence.

"You women are so troublesome," I mumbled before looking away, "you look different."

I could feel her looking at the back of my head.

"its... A good different though," I say awkwardly. She's silent.

"Thanks," I heard her whisper before looking up to see my parents' house.

"Mum! Dad! I'm back!" I called, footsteps echoed through the house.

"Shikamaru?" my father's head pops through the doorway, "and.. M/n?"

"Nope, not my mother, its me f/n l/n," y/n clarified with a chuckle.

"Y/n?!" I heard my mums voice shout, she came flying into the entrance and almost knocked y/n to the ground when she tackled her into a hug.

"Hi Yoshino!" y/n exclaimed cheerfully as she kept the balance for both of them, "it's great to see you again."

My mother pulled away and rested her hands on y/n's shoulders.

"Never, ever, ever, leave the village ever again. Please," she begged, y/n laughed and patted her hands.

"No can do, I'm a ninja. Got to do my job," she smiled at my mother. She seems happier than she was before she left. I'm glad.

"What am I? Chopped liver?" my father asked, stepping into the room and putting his arms out. Yoshino sighed and released the laughing y/n who then moved and gave my father a hug.

"Hello Shikaku, how are you?" she asked him.

"I'm well. And you?" he returned.

"Never better," she replied before the stepped apart.

I feel like I'm watching some family reunion.

"Call us when dinners ready, we're playing shogi," I announced, grabbing y/n's hand and pulling her to my old room. We sat down on the floor and she smirked mischievously at me.

"What?" I asked.

"You know what we haven't played in a while?" she asked, I looked at her curiously as she pulled something out her pocket and placed it on the shogi board, "cards. Do you think you can beat me?"

"Oh definitely!" I replied as she smiled and started to deal the cards accordingly.

°❄️°

Your PoV

"and I do believe that I won again!" I exclaimed, dropping my final card onto the shogi board (which we were using as a table), Shikamaru sighed in defeat and fell to the ground.

"I'm no good at this game. What a drag," he mumbled, I laughed quietly before throwing one of the cards at his head. He looked at me and frowned.

"You were never good at games that require speed. You're a slow and steady paced guy," I told him, "meaning slow and steady games are your forté."

Shikamaru just sighed as he sat up again.

"Y/n, what do you think of me?" he asked as I was tidying the cards up.

"What do I think of you? Where did that come from?" I asked, trying to find a missing card. Shikamaru presented it between his index and middle finger.

"I'll give it to you if you tell me what I am to you," he told me emotionlessly. I raised a brow in interest.

Where's this come from?

"Fine. Shikamaru Nara, you're one of my closest friends. I think very highly of you and I'm glad you were my very first friend," I replied, "happy?"

"No," he replied, he cheeks had adopted a light red glow to it as he looked away.

"Huh?" I questioned.

"I'm not happy. I'm not satisfied with our bond," he tells me. I frowned.

"What're you saying, Shika?" I asked him, he looked at me seriously before knocking the shogi table out the way and knocking me to the ground.

"What do you think I'm saying?" he asked me as I looked up at him confused, "y/n, dont make me spell it out to you. That will just be a drag."

I stayed silent and watched him look at me closely.

"f/n l/n, I'm in love with you. I have been for a while now," he told me, his face was going redder and I'm sure mine was as well.

"W-what do you mean you're in love with me?" I questioned, flustered and not knowing if he was serious or just messing with me.

"I mean I love you, a lot and being friends just isn't going to cut it," he replied, before leaning forward and kissing me. I felt my eyes widen in shock at his brashness but eventually kissed back.

We parted for air and he rested his forehead against mine.

"does that mean you love me back?" he asked.

I looked away, completely embarrassed by our position but nodded.

He sighed in relief and pushed himself off the floor and pulled me up with him. He hugged me tightly and whispered:

"welcome home."

Before we heard Yoshino calling us for dinner.