Twenty

VOTE AND COMMENT 💖💖💖

_

When I first laid my eyes on you...

They sat on opposite sides of the lunchroom. But neither could keep their eye off one another, one trying to be more discreet than the other.

"You been staring over there for a minute now bro, what you looking at." Joshua asks the boy who hasn't taken his eyes off of the strange new kid at school who he was forced to show around about a week ago. Anthony watches him as he slowly nibbles on some strawberries he took out of his book bag. The new kid takes out a binder and starts scribbling on a sheet of loose leaf, completing his homework. But all the while he was doing this, he kept trying to steal glances at Anthony, each time getting caught by Anthony's lingering gaze.

Anthony looks away from the new kid and back down at his phone, ignoring Joshua's question. He tries to distract himself with sports videos, but he can't get his mind to stray from wondering about the kid. So, he stands up from the table where he should belong, the one full of football players and pretty girls, and without announcing his departure, walks all the way to the other side of the lunchroom to where the new junior was seated. As he was approaching, the junior quickly looked down at his binder, hoping he didn't get caught staring. Anthony takes a seat across from him. The shy junior notices the intimidating seniors presence but doesn't acknowledge it, fearing that if he does, he'd start to obviously display his attraction to him.

Anthony taps the side of the table closest to Cameron, now making him look up from his homework. Cameron blushes and displays a friendly smile. He hopes that he appears to be calm on the outside, because on the inside he's freaking out. He's never had a crush like this before while back home in California, especially because he used to attend a high school that wasn't very diverse. So, he doesn't know how to act around Anthony. He always wants to be his best self around him, but it's impossible to him when Anthony is so intimidating.

"Why you keep looking over there?" Anthony asks Cameron who's hands are now getting sweaty due to the accusation.

"I-I wasn't I just—"

"I was watching you watch me."

"I- ugh," Cameron places a hand on his forehead and sighs "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry."

"I don't care if you sorry. That's irrelevant. I asked you why you looking."

Cameron blushes. He surely can't say he was admiring Anthony's appearance, looking at him so that he could imagine scenarios of them being close friends— and possibly even boyfriends. He would never say slouch a thing because he knows that expression would come with a price, and not a pretty one.

"I just— um, I don't really have anywhere to look and you were straight ahead. And you're the only person I'm familiar with in this school. I didn't know where else to look." Cameron lies. He could have paid attention to his homework, so it was a weak excuse that even Anthony caught onto. Anthony stares at Cameron, liking the fact that Cameron got nervous whenever he was looking.

"Don't be staring at me like that," Anthony insists. He wants it to come off as a sort of threat, stop staring at me or else. But really, he wants Cameron to stop staring at him because he finds himself liking the attention from Cameron. He shouldn't be flattered that the new gay white kid has a crush on him, but he is.

"I promise, I won't anymore. I'm sorry."

Anthony up and leaves the lunchroom abruptly, without saying anything more to Cameron.