Chapter 10

Warning: slightly gruesome descriptions

-

You wake up with a weird feeling in your gut. It was like... something was wrong. 

With drooping eyes, you mindlessly reach out and stare at your phone.

Your heart stops upon seeing the date. 

April 11

You shake your head and try to blur out the thoughts from your mind. 

Without the usual skip to your step, you walk on downstairs, your hand tightly gripping the wooden banister. Upon seeing your small figure enter the room your mother smiles warmly at you and you nod back at her with a forced smile. 

"Where's Minjoo?" you ask nonchalantly. 

"He's at work, sweetheart."

"He's been working an awful lot lately."

You mother smiles a little sadly, "yes, dear, he has to work to save up for the wedding."

You look at your mum with a stern expression. "Didn't I tell you that I will cover the cost of the wedding?"

Your mum frowns, "No sweety, we can't let you pay for our wedding, that's too much to ask for."

You watch the brown bitter liquid, drip out of the espresso machine and into your cup. With a sigh, you turn around to face your mother. "I can afford it, it won't even leave a dent to my wallet." 

"I know, but I can't allow you to pay for it."

You mentally roll your eyes before looking away. 

The small frown that had formed this morning still resting on your face. 

You mother notices your expression and gently walks up to you. 

"Honey, don't tell me you are upset because of what today is?"

You look down at the marble bench top, shaking your head slightly while trying to tune out her words. 

"Don't keep thinking about him, dal, he's not worth it."

You look up at your mum before clenching your jaw, trying to bite back your emotions. 

"H-he was my dad, how can I just simply forget him?" 

You mum sighs before shaking her head, "Honey, he left you. He left us. Just- just stop thinking about him."

The pool of tar in your irises darken as you look away. "He must have had his reason." 

Your mother goes quiet. You sense a change in atmosphere as she grips the marble counter tightly. 

"He left with a note saying he doesn't want to be with me anymore," you mother speaks in an eerily calm voice. Bitterness claws at her words as she spits out, "I don't think he had any reasons other than sleeping with other women." 

You gulp down the lump in your throat. "D-don't say that. You don't know that."

With tears in the rim of her eyes, fist clenched tightly, your mother croaks out, "he never loved you, he never wanted any more children, he wanted me to get an abortion when he heard I was pregnant with you."

Your throat goes dry at her words. 

"He never wanted you, s-so stop thinking he'll come back. He won't." 

"MUM!" Jisoo screams as her face contorts in shock. 

She runs up to you and grabs you gently, "w-what are you saying! Don't listen to her Chubs, she's just-"