Twenty Six- Goodbye

Reign POV

Pain shot through my shoulder, causing a groan to escape my dry lips. I pried my eyes open, wincing slightly at the light. I hear mumbles from the room I was in. 

As I pulled my eyes open, my vision cleared and I looked around. I recognized the room as Sterling's from the last time I had passed out. 

The memory came rushing back of Sterling pulling the trigger and my impulsive decision to jump in front of the bullet. I regret nothing though. I would never be able to live with myself knowing someone, especially someone I had grown close to, had gotten killed because of me. 

Then the thoughts of Sterling burst through my memories. He shot me. The crazy fucker shot me. He was going to shoot Darren! As I look around, I see Jack, Titus, and Sterling's two siblings looking at me. Titus is closer, asking if I can speak. All I managed to do was squeak slightly as my throat was too dry and painful for me to vocalize. 

Azure rushed out of the room and returned shortly after with a glass of water. After gulping the cool substance down, I managed to sit up and speak. 

"Thank you," I said to Azure, as she nodded and stepped back. A moment later Darren and Cory came into the room, both rushing over and jumping on the bed with me. 

"Reign, you're one crazy daughter of a bitch you know that?" Cory said, gently wrapping his arm around me. I laughed at his comment and smiled to him and Darren. 

"Why did you take that bullet for me?" Darren asked softly. 

"Because if I didn't then you would've died. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself knowing you died because of me," I said, looking down for a moment. 

I looked over to Titus who looked sad. I hadn't spoken to him since he didn't defend me against Sterling. Speaking of which, Sterling entered the room and my entire body stiffened. The man who shot me... no... the monster who shot me... was in the room with me. 

"Reign..." Sterling spoke. I got a good look at him. He seemed to be sleepless and his eyes had dark circles around them. 

"How long was I out?" I ask turning to Darren. 

"Two days," he said. 

"Two days of exhausting boredom!"  Cory said, causing laughter to erupt from the people in the room. 

"I'll try not to ever get shot again just for you Cory," I said with a smile. My comment seemed to make Sterling grow stiff. 

"Can I go home now?" I asked Darren. His face grew a bit sad before he responded. 

"We can't take you with us, Sweetheart," he said softly. 

"Why? Why can't I go home with you?" 

"I left this life, and you're part of it now. I got you away from it for a little bit, but I can't help you anymore. I almost got shot. You DID get shot. I don't want Cory to be involved in this gang life anymore. I'm sorry Reign..." he said. 

Tears began to well in my eyes. He was leaving me behind. With the man who almost killed me. A man who is a murderer. 

"Please don't leave me. Please take me with you," I begged. I looked to Cory who had a sad face. Darren stood up from the bed and made his way over to Sterling. He whispered something in his ear before they both left the room. Slowly, everyone else besides Cory left as well. 

"Cory I don't want to stay here," I said as tears trickled down my cheeks. 

"I know, but Darren is the boss. We both know Sterling will always drag you back into his life and we can't take the chance on us getting hurt. Darren and I are all we have. I can't loose my brother and he can't loose me," Cory said gently rubbing my back. 

"What about me?" I said through tears. 

"You'll be safe here," Darren's voice broke through. I looked up to see Darren and Sterling standing next to each other near the doorway. 

"I don't want to be here! I want to be with you and Cory!" I said almost yelling. 

"Cory," Darren said, his face showing less and less emotion. I knew there was emotion behind his eyes, but he didn't want me to know what he was feeling. Cory stood up, giving me one last hug before walking to the door and turning the corner. 

Darren walked to me as I stood up. He held me gently in a hug, making sure he didn't pressure my wound. 

"Please, be safe. I wont ever forget you, Reign," Darren spoke softly. "Stay that strong fiery woman I first met," he said before placing a gentle kiss on my lips. He slowly slipped out of my grasp and left the room, leaving Sterling and I. 

Tears running down my cheeks as I heard the front door close. My sadness turned to anger as my eyes made their way to Sterling who was still standing near the doorway. 

"You..." I said through gritted teeth, tears flowing. "This is all your fault!" I screamed. "You made them leave me! You shot me! You took me from everything I loved! I have nothing!" I screamed as I stormed up to him. "This is all your fucking fault! You're a monster!" I yelled and cried. My anger faded to sadness as my energy faded. "You're a monster," I said through my tears. 

I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around me, holding me up as I sobbed. I had lost the energy to fight at that moment, and all I could do was weep in his arms. The man who shot me was holding me in comfort. 

He slowly stroked my hair gently as I continued to cry. 

"It's going to be alright, I'll keep you safe from now on," he said gently, breaking me away from my saddened thoughts that Darren and Cory had just left me. I looked up through my tear stricken eyes. 

"I'm sorry for everything I've done to you, Reign. I can't promise I won't ever hurt you again, but I am going to try," he said looking down at me. I couldn't argue by that point, and all I could do was nod and rest my head against his muscular chest. 

The people who swore they would be my family had left me. My brother  Cory and my Darren. They were supposed to keep me safe. Though I hadn't been with them long at all, they promised it would be forever. To say I was heartbroken was an understatement and the proof was I was standing in the arms of a monster. 

My future once again blurred and changed within the blink of an eye and this time I really had no idea where I would end up.