Forty Six- The Talk

Reign POV 

I'm not quite sure what had come over me after my nightmare, but all I knew was I wanted to be in Sterling's arms. But that was simply my first instinct. 

I sat wrapped up in his embrace letting my tears fall, but after a few minutes I realized just who was with me. 

Not Titus, the man who protected me from everything and was the closest thing to a father I'd ever have again. Not Wesley, who I'd recently gotten to know and loaned me baggy sweaters for comfort. Not Darren who helped me be free for as long as he could. 

No. None of them. Not anyone else. It was Sterling. 

"I'm sorry," I said in my embarrassment as I pulled myself away from him. I didn't miss the pained look that crossed his face. As I stood up and began walking to the bathroom I heard him say my name, sounding panicked like he'd never see me again. 

I walked into the bathroom and closed the door, ignoring his presence that lingered in my room. 

I slipped out of my clothes and let them drop to the floor, leaving my body cold and urging for a warm splash of shower water. I turned the water on, waiting for the water to heat up for a moment before I stepped into the warm embrace of the water. 

I shampooed and conditioned my hair, rinsing and then washing my body and rinsing again. After my entire body was as clean as possible, I basked in the warm drizzle. 

Why did he come into my room to wake me and not Titus? Why did he even care? I had to stop and wonder these things as showers have always been a thinking spot for me. 

I was so confused about Sterling. Did I care about him? Yeah. Did I want to run into his arms? Well apparently because that's exactly what I just did. I was confused why I felt the way I did for him though he had caused me so much pain.

How could someone who apparently care about you physically harm you? He slapped me for gosh sake. It didn't make sense for him to hurt me then turn around and want to hold and comfort me. Was he just that messed up? Honestly, I wasn't sure. 

I finally decided to exit the shower and dry myself off. I blow dried my hair and put lotion on my arms and legs. I decided against pants at the moment because I knew I wouldn't be leaving my room for the evening. 

I slipped on my baggy sweater and put clean panties on. I gathered the laundry from the day and my towels and opened the bathroom door. 

To my relief, Sterling was no longer in my room, but I knew he wasn't far as I heard voices sounding like his and Titus's coming from Titus's room. I couldn't make out what they were saying but it sounded important so I ignored it and went about my business, hoping Sterling would leave the area soon. 

I went about my business and went to the closet in my room where a clothes basket was for the dirty laundry. I'd have to take it down to the laundry room in the basement tomorrow, I thought to myself. 

While I was bent over, shuffling things around in my closet, I heard a small creak in the floor. My whole body whipped around, my cheeks flushing red as the person who just stepped in clearly just saw my underwear under my baggy sweater. 

I took a second to comprehend who was there, and then my face changed from embarrassment to irritation and anger. 

"Reign," Sterling spoke softly and calmly, clearly unfazed by what he must have just seen. Honestly that filled me with a bit of relief but I was still angry. 

"What do you want?" I asked, not hiding the irritation from my voice. 

"I think we should talk," he said taking a step forward. "Please?" he asked, his voice showing nothing but honesty. 

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked slightly shaking my head in confusion. 

"Us," he stated flatly. The word made butterflies begin to flap their wings in my stomach as I remembered the night we spent together not long ago. The only night there ever was an us. It ended so fast, we didn't even have enough time to enjoy the full thing. 

Though I was pissed about everything that he had done, I was more curious as to what he had to say. "Fine," I mused before walking to my bed and sitting near the pillows, crossing my legs. I patted the bed and flattened my lips to tell him to sit with me. He gave me a light nod and made his way to the bed, sitting next to me with both his legs on the floor, facing away from me. 

He took a second to collect himself. His tongue slid across his lips before he took a deep breath and sighed. 

"I know I hurt you, and you're probably still hurt. What I did was uncalled for and inappropriate," he began. 

"You think?" I scoffed. 

"I know. I'm here to say I'm sorry, for everything. I lost my ways. My father loved my mother and I saw how wonderful he treated her and I know that's how I should be treating the woman I care that much about. I lost my way in the anger and the violence. All I've known for years has been the gang and I was so entangled in it I forgot that life is more than that. You're more than that," he paused, taking a breath. 

"I want to be yours again, Reign. I want to show you and only you how I can be. I want to be the man who shows you all the love and care you deserve. I've been blinded by hate and anger but now I see how I need to be, how I need to treat you. I've never felt this way with anyone before, I always stayed far away from relationships and anything more than a one night stand but now I want more. I want more than sex or a gang member," he spoke. 

His words made my heart skip a beat, my lungs deflate and I felt like I was holding a breath of air. His beautiful white eyes held nothing but honesty and an emotion I hadn't seen in a long time; love. 

"Reign I..." he paused before looking me directly in the eyes. "I love you," he said, his eyes pleading for acceptance. My lips parted but I couldn't think of a word to say. 

"I'll show you I can love you properly. I'll make you feel loved in every way I can," he said shifting so he was facing me now. 

I was scared. Scared it wouldn't work. Scared things wouldn't change and he would hurt me again. I couldn't be hurt anymore, I wouldn't allow it. But with Sterling, my heart melted into his hand. 

Until now, after all the pain, I didn't realize how strong of a hold he had on me. I realized when he said all those words that one thing was true; I had fallen for Sterling Wolfe. For that reason alone, I let my lips and my heart speak their words. 

"I-" I paused for a breath to let my heart collect itself. "I love you too," I spoke out softly. 

With those words, his strong hand wrapped around the back of my head and his lips crashed into mine.