Thirty Nine- Fresh Air

Reign POV 

The morning fallowing what we will now refer to as 'the incident', I was not about to run into the man involved. 

When I woke up, Sterling was fast asleep on his side of the bed. Thankfully he wasn't one of those clingy sleepers. I took this as my chance to sneak away from the most awkward morning ever. 

I gently slipped out of the bed, even being careful not to disturb the blankets. After 'the incident' I changed into one of Sterling's t shirts and a pair of sleep shorts. 

Needless to say, that is exactly how I left the room. I wasn't about to make a bunch of noise finding clothes, showering or any of that. I needed to get far far away and evaluate my mental health after 'the incident'. 

I didn't regret 'the incident' but it was more of the after that I was scared about. He asked to be together. TOGETHER. As a couple. A COUPLE! 

And I want to be clear. 'The incident' was just the part where we naked tangoed all night long. I have never done anything in that way willingly, and I've found myself embarrassed and nervous about what is to come. 

Hence why I slipped out of Sterling's bedroom and directly to mine. 

I quickly changed into every day clothes and I made my way down the stairs. I looked over to the oven clock to see that it was only 7:32am. Nobody would even be awake yet, so I decided a morning walk would help me clear my head. 

I slipped on my track shoes and gently opened and closed the door, careful not to alarm any of the crazy men that lived in the house and would easily shoot before they realized I was the one leaving the house. 

The cool morning breeze slipped through my hair, making me thankful I had decided a hoodie was in order for the day. I walked calmly down the driveway, listening to the chirping birds and watching as the sun peeked around the hills as it swam into the sky. 

As I walked, my head was calm but busy with thoughts of Sterling. 

What if he decided he made a mistake and got to caught up in the moment? I honestly would be crushed if he backed out because of a bad mindset after sex. I obviously wouldn't pressure him to be with me if he didn't feel he wanted to be, but on another hand I would be absolutely pissed if he turned back now. 

He was one of the few people I had become comfortable with, no matter how strange our relationship with one another had been. He protected me many times, even if those times included a bit of stalking. I know he too did not know how to be in a relationship, and I really was relieved by it. He had no expectations as I didn't either. 

I had been held captive and abused by a gang leader until I ran at the age of fourteen. I could only focus on survival at that point and up until now really. I never had anyone to truly take care of me after the age my parents were killed. Even through high school boys were not even a thought in my mind. Survival was all I knew and almost all I know still. 

With Sterling and really being with the whole gang I feel safe and protected. I know there is always someone there for me. Not having to be looking over my shoulder all day is certainly relieving. I can honestly breathe and function without worry that I will be taken and tortured again. 

As I walked down the road, something caught my eye; movement on the treeline. Instantly my blood ran cold, but I couldn't see what had moved. As I sped up, I kept my eyes on the treeline. 

Suddenly my body slammed into something making me stumble back. A low chuckle sounded and I looked up as my heart began to slow with relief. 

"What are you doing out here, Little One?" Titus asked, crossing his arms as he towered over me. 

"I-I just woke up early and decided to get some fresh air," I said. 

"You were walking pretty fast and you seemed distracted. You're not trying to run away again are you?" he asked, sounding sad as he asked the question. 

"Oh no! I'm done with that. I know I'm safer and better off with St- the gang," I said covering my tracks but I couldn't help the blush that ran to my cheeks. Titus took a moment to think before nodding. 

"So why were you speed walking into people?" he asked with a chuckle. 

"I-I don't know. I thought I saw someone or something hiding in the trees. I just had a bad feeling I guess," I said. His face grew concerned as his eyes shifted from me to the trees behind me. 

"Well, let's get you back to the house, okay? Just in case there is someone out here," he instructed and I nodded in agreement. 

The walk was peaceful, but I knew Titus could tell I was on edge about the trees, but as though he could see right through me his voice broke the silence. 

"Why are you really out here?" he asked with a cocky smile. 

"What do you mean? I already told you," 

"You told me what you wanted me to think. I know there's something else up with you, Lil Lady," he spoke with confidence. I gave a loud sigh and stopped walking to kick a rock for a moment. Titus's feet also stopped, turning in my direction. 

"Well?" he mused. 

"Something may have happened last night," I said still looking down. 

"I knew it," he smirked. "I knew something happened with you and Sterling," he said. I gave him a confused look and he read my face. 

"I came back last night because I forgot my phone. I ran into Sterling who was basically glowing or some shit. I knew it had to do with you, but I didn't ask," he said with a wink. 

"Yeah, about that," 

"Well what happened?" he winked again trying to expose me. 

"We had sex okay?" I blurted out. 

"Knew it," he said and he started walking once again. 

"Andhemayhaveaskedmetobehisgirlfriend," I spoke with one long breath. Titus stopped in his tracks and spun on his heel to face me. 

"Pardon?" he asked, raising an eye brow. 

"Sterling asked me to be his girlfriend," I said as I looked down. 

"Well can't say I expected that," Titus said, scratching his neck awkwardly. 

"Please don't say anything yet, I don't know what he wants to show or whatever you know?" I asked. Titus gave me a nod and signaled for me to fallow. I hurried my legs to catch up to him. 

"You don't think he's going to back out or regret it or something do you?" I asked as we walked closer to the house. 

"No. Sterling is a man of his words. Whatever he said or asked last night was the truth. Even when he's drunk he is straight with what he says. He wouldn't lie or back out, trust me," he said confidently. A bit of relief washed over me. 

Soon we were back at the house. We opened the door to see everyone awake and sitting around eating breakfast or watching the news. Everything seemed to be normal and nobody was suspicious as to why I just walked back into the house. 

Suddenly, Sterling cornered the kitchen and walked directly up to me. Without any warning, he wrapped his arms around me and kissed me on the lips. So much for not telling anyone or him regretting it or backing out.