Chapter Eight

"Echoflower, get the kits into the nursery!" Carptooth yowled, and with his large body, he shielded Echoflower from a she-cat's attack. Echoflower gasped, before scooping up Maplekit by the scruff and running to the nursery of stone. Swiftkit hurried behind her mother, while Ripplekit and Webkit ran with their tails between their legs. They were both able to enter the nursery, which was guarded by Clovertail and Alderstalk, but a large, gray tom cut off Echoflower. 

He snarled, "Let's hope this teaches Redstar not to mess with the border!" Lifting a massive paw, he struck Echoflower's shoulder, and it sent her flying. "Echoflower!" Swiftkit cried, but anger boiled in her heart, and blood rushed to her ears as she ran to Echoflower. The she-cat tumbled and rolled, letting go of Maplekit. Scarlet marked her wounded shoulder and she let out a groan of pain. Maplekit stood up and his paw prodded his mother. "Echoflower? Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine..." She was able to murmur, her blue eyes gleaming with relief that her kits were safe, before Swiftkit anxiously nudged her cheek with a paw. "Come on, Echoflower, let's get inside the nursery!"

The same gray tom slowly made his way towards Echoflower, his lips drawn back in a snarl. A familiar anger burned in his eyes. Knowing that they couldn't do anything, Swiftkit and Maplekit hid behind Echoflower for safety. Why was no one helping her? Swiftkit thought as she pressed against Maplekit. 

Staggering, Echoflower stood up, facing the BoulderClan tom, ready to fight. But the smaller she-cat was nothing compared to the large tom. Swiftkit wanted to close her eyes, but she just couldn't. That was until Crowbite collided against the tom furiously. Echoflower took the change to scoop up Swiftkit and limp over to the nursery, Maplekit behind closely. Swiftkit noticed how heavily damaged Echoflower's shoulder was, so much it affected her run! Hobbling into the nursery, she nearly collapsed in her nest.

Ripplekit let out a cry, "Echoflower!" Webkit stayed where she was, her blue eyes wide in fear, and her pelt was standing up in fear. Swiftkit quickly went to comfort her paralyzed sister, brushing her calico pelt against her gray pelt. None of the four knew how to help their mother, only to stare in horror.

Dapplefur let out a shriek, her yellow eyes wide. She never liked seeing blood, but even worse, to see her best friend bleeding heavily. "Echoflower! Dear STARCLAN!" Her fur stuck up, and her tail curled around her kits protectively. Dovefeather stared in terror, but couldn't say anything.

Echoflower lay in her moss bed, her eyes rapidly looking around. No one dared to fetch Baydawn because of how dangerous it was outside of the nursery. Swiftkit then slowly approached her mother, her amber eyes low. "E-Echoflower?" It had been several heartbeats, but Echoflower's flank kept rising and falling steadily. 

A pale ginger paw rested on Echoflower's cheek, and Swiftkit whimpered, "Echoflower?"

Her mother's blue eyes flickered to her kit, and her eyes glinted sadly. "I'm fine, dear..." Swiftkit then sat next to her mother, and soon her littermates all followed quietly. All four of them knew the same outcome, and the silence they carried soon allowed everyone in the nursery to be silent as well.

Webkit murmured to Maplekit, "What's happening to Echoflower?" It was evident that the life of their mother was growing short. Maplekit now begged, "Echoflower, please wait! Redstar will stop BoulderClan!" Ripplekit kept his eyes on Echoflower, blank. Swiftkit couldn't find any words to say. Dapplefur watched in pure sorrow, while Dovefeather let out a low moan of emotional pain. 

"My dear kits..." Echoflower sounded more shallow, her flank was calming down and it rose only slightly. Her pelt was stained with blood, and her crushed shoulder showed no hope of repairing. Weakly, she cautiously curled her body, pulling her kits close. These were the last moments with her. Redstar wasn't present.

Swiftkit hung her head, and Echoflower was able to purr, "I will always watch over you, my dears...now be good to Redstar and your clanmates." Webkit burst into a wail and Ripplekit let out a screech in disbelief. Maplekit remained quiet, but Swiftkit whimpered. Yet, despite her distressed kits, Echoflower's eyes still held some gentleness. 

Her blue eyes rolled to Swiftkit, and she whispered, "You are a fast and cunning, skillful with your legs, but do not let anger and pride overtake your heart. You're chosen for a reason." Swiftkit's amber eyes widened, and her heart began to pound. Chosen? By whom? 

Echoflower looked at all four of her kits, blinking tiredly. Ripplekit begged, "Please wait, Echoflower! Stay some more!" Her stronger, younger brother always was a strong tom, but he was at his breaking point. Swiftkit rested her head on her brother's shoulder. 

The beautiful blue eyes of their mother's now turned blank and lifeless. Maplekit and Webkit touched her cheek, only to find it cold and empty. Webkit panted frantically, Maplekit's eyes grew wide, but Swiftkit lifted her muzzle and wailed loudly. Ripplekit then prodded Echoflower. "Wake up! Wake up!" he cried, and Webkit couldn't stop shaking. Maplekit joined Swiftkit in their wail of despair. The tail that wrapped around them was cold.

Joining them was Dapplefur, then Dovefeather. At that moment, Swiftkit finally understood death. And how ironic that BoulderClan admitted retreat.