Chapter Twenty-two

The DriftClan warrior's eyes were fixed on Swiftpaw's. Her amber eyes gleamed a fire, something the DirftClan warrior has never seen before. It made him freeze, but it gave Swiftpaw the advantage.

"HIYAAA!" With all her might, her front right paw dug into the sand and she flung it into the warrior's eyes, before she reared around and leapt into the Grand River. The tom let out a screech of fury, and Swiftpaw felt his teeth almost barely grasp her feathery tail. But she dove into the cold waters, saving her from her possible demise.

Delving into the blue water, she lifted her chin and worked her paws to emerge from below. Her face broke the surface, and she blinked out the waters from her eyes. Her whiskers drooped, but she began to rapidly swim to the other side. Her back legs kicked with all her might, and her front paws guided her to the pale yellow sands. Her paws touched the sand, and that was when she darted past the tall grass and the reeds, not even shaking her fur dry.

"Help! Help!" She cried, running into camp, nearly bumping into Splashfur and Mudstrike. The two warriors stared at her in disbelief, before the current cats that were in the clearing began to surround her. One of them was Snaketail.

Snaketail was about to ask Swiftpaw what happened, but the apprentice screamed, "DriftClan attacks the Shiny Shore!" Her wet fur bristled, and her amber eyes were wide. The warriors of TideClan didn't have time to discuss who went and who stayed, they just bolted out of camp. Pricklepelt hurried over to Swiftpaw, his yellow eyes wide in worry. "Swiftpaw, are you hurt?" he asked, his tail beckoning her towards the medicine cat den. "N-no," the calico apprentice stammered, forcefully flattening her fur to show she was alright. She turned her head, and she could hear the distant battle cries. 

That was when Redstar brushed by her, the much larger tom almost knocking her off her paws. She let out a low growl, but the red tabby tom didn't hear her, just bolting out of camp. Pricklepelt's tail rested upon her wet shoulder, and he meowed, "Come on, you need to see Baydawn, not fret about your father."

"Father? He's barely one," Swiftpaw growled, her tail lashing in anger, before she stormed off to Baydawn's den, her ears laid back and her teeth showing. 

There were five cats that were left behind to defend the camp, and they were Clovertail, Whitefish, Tawnynose, Blazestripe, and Mosspelt. Fogstorm and Mousetail were guarding the nursery, something that the elders have failed the last time an attack happened. Swiftpaw felt a bit relieved that they were finally doing their job. 

Stepping into the clearing for the medicine cat, she could see Baydawn tending to Acornpaw, the lighter tabby pressing an herb unto a deep scratch. When his blue eyes lifted, he spotted Pricklepelt and Swiftpaw. "Pricklepelt, Swiftpaw! What brings you here?" Baydawn asked, his tail tip flickering. 

Pricklepelt spoke up, "Swiftpaw is a bit shaken up. Maybe some thyme would help calm her down?" He looked down at Swiftpaw, who rolled her eyes at the brown tom, a bit playfully. The apprentice really appreciated how Pricklepelt easily became a father figure to her.

Brookpaw emerged from the log that led to the actual medicine cat den, her brown tabby pelt littered with herb scraps. "You called for thyme, Pricklepelt?" she asked. "Oh, not for me," Pricklepelt meowed, "For Swiftpaw."

"Oh. Right away, and rest on a moss bed,  hm?" Brookpaw ordered, and Swiftpaw laid down in the nearest moss bed. Pricklepelt dipped his muzzle low, "Thank you for alarming the clan, Swiftpaw. I'll be out guarding the camp if you need me." He then left her, his slightly shorter tail lashing.

Swiftpaw focused back unto Brookpaw, who disappeared once again into the log. She's so pretty, Swiftpaw thought, admiring Brookpaw's slender figure and wide and bright, brown eyes. She stared down at her white paws, and her heart felt a bit uneasy inside. I'm not even that pretty. she thought.

That was when the herb, thyme, was dropped at her paws. Brookpaw dipped her head, "Eat up, Swiftpaw. Should I also get you something to eat? It helps the thyme go down easier," she offered, and at that moment, Swiftpaw's stomach growled. The calico she-cat nodded, her pelt feeling hot in embarrassment. Brookpaw then left to fetch Swiftpaw some fresh kill for her thyme, and Baydawn left as well to get something else for Acornpaw. Only Swiftpaw and Acornpaw were left alone.

She realized that Acornpaw would avoid her gaze, and Swiftpaw didn't know why. It was only a few heartbeats of silence before Brookpaw returned with a brown fish. "Eat up. You must be pretty shaken up from today's events. But I thank you for getting help for the Shiny Shore," Brookpaw murmured the last part, before she left back into the medicine cat without a word. Swiftpaw began to thoughtfully chew the thyme. Brookpaw had thanked me... It was something that Swiftpaw never really got, but it was a feeling that she appreciated. Maybe it was pride, but she would like to say it was relief. 

-------

Hey guys! I'm like lacking from writing this. I have so much to reveal in my story here, but I'm not sure if I have all the time. But thank you guys for waiting. I feel that this chapter was less dramatic and more calming, and it revealed Swiftpaw's insecurities.

Also, thank you guys for 800 reads! It makes me really happy that my story intrigues you guys! Thank you! Thank you!

-Morgan