Chapter Forty-five

Swiftpaw was allowed to leave the medicine cat den once her strained claw was healed. She spent three days healing beside Mudstrike and the two gossiped together. Wolfpaw or Brookpelt would always visit them, either to give prey or to talk. But once Swiftpaw's stay ended, she had to leave Mudstrike. "Lucky you, able to leave!" Mudstrike meowed to his friend, his brown tail lashing. She let out a purr in amusement as she stretched, "I'll make sure to catch you a water vole so you won't starve!"

She left the medicine cat clearing, her injuries healing quickly thanks to Brookpelt's work. It was sunhigh and she prayed that there would be a hunting patrol being sorted out. The snow was thin and the air was brisk, a blessing that there wasn't so much snow. Some icicles hung from the trees and the entrances of dens. Swiftpaw chuckled to herself when she remembered seeing Wolfpaw breaking icicles for the Elders' Den. 

Recently, Redstar was forced to be confined in his den. He is extremely feeble and his muscles grew limp; he was clinging unto his last life. Every day, Lichenface and Flaxkit go to see him. Though, today, Swiftpaw wanted to go herself. She wasn't sure if her siblings paid a visit, but she wanted to do it by herself. I'll catch something for him, even if he rejects it. 

"Swiftpaw! Hey, you're on a patrol with us," Sparkclaw called to her, with him was Alderstalk and Mosspelt. She then made her way over to the patrol, "Where are we heading to?" 

"We're the sunhigh border patrol and Lionstripe wants us to check out the Shiny Shore. Apparently, yesterday's patrol detected some DriftClan scents on our white sands," Alderstalk replied, leading the patrol out of camp. Swiftpaw held back a sigh, really anticipating to go hunting or go on a patrol with her mentor again. Lionstripe has been splitting up me, Wolfpaw, and Blizzardtail. Though Wolfpaw and I are trained, we would like to spend time with Blizzardtail. Well, I do... Less and less she saw Wolfpaw and it made her heart sore.

But before they left, Lionstripe sprinted up to Alderstalk. "Wait," the golden tabby she-cat spoke, "I just realized how tired Swiftpaw must be. Maybe she wouldn't want to go on this patrol." They stood under the stone-arch of the camp entrance.

Swiftpaw budded in, "I would prefer to go hunting, Lionstripe, if that's alright with you."

Sparkclaw's tail rested on Swiftpaw's shoulder, "We should've realized that you were still a bit injured. Sorry, young one." My clanmates... how caring they are. Lionstripe then suggested to Swiftpaw, "You can go hunting. But at dawn tomorrow, I want you on the dawn patrol towards the birch forest. Be ready."

She dipped her head in respect before she hurried out of camp, eager to be free again. Breathing in the smell of fresh snow, wilting willows, and river water made her feel at home. Her paws touched cool snow and she let out a soft hiss. Maybe I'll go hunt right beside the training hollow. Remembering Blizzardtail's shortcut, she dove into the stale reeds, careful not to poke her eye out.

As she moved through the reeds, she could hear the voices of Fallownose and Ripplefrost. Why are they in the training hollow? Swiftpaw thought curiously and slowed down her pace. The calico apprentice stopped at the line of reeds and she spied on the pretty tabby and her brother. She was only a few fox lengths away from the hollow and she saw the two cats very easily.

Ripplefrost seemed bothered at Fallownose. He meowed, "Why would you try to say that about my sister? She's very hardworking and her place in the clan is well." The brown tabby's tail lashed impatiently and she argued, "She immobilized my leg for a moon! You can't possibly deem her respectable." Swiftpaw felt a tad bit guilty for striking down Fallownose that one time. Even though she said something very offensive, I shouldn't have hurt her that much. Swiftpaw then leaped out from the reed bed and slowly made her way over to the two cats, her paw steps light and quiet, something she learned from Wolfpaw.