Chapter Fifty-six

"So, when are you lovebirds going to have kits?" A teasing Dovefeather asked, the light gray she-cat approaching Swiftblossom and Wolfspirit. Her blue eyes glinted with amusement. Beside her was Sparkclaw, who was enjoying the moment. The couple was gazing upon Swiftblossom and Wolfspirit, who were curled up together, appreciating their cardinal together. Wolfspirit looked up, a red feather perched on his muzzle. Swiftblossom's pelt heated up, almost as if she was on fire, and she stammered, "K-kits?"

Sparkclaw chirped in, "I'm sure your kits would look adorable, by the way." Swiftblossom pulled herself back a bit shyly. Wolfspirit's green eyes flickered over to his mate, who was slightly uncomfortable before he replied kindly, "Thank you, but we want to put as much effort as we can to support TideClan before we have kits." Having kits? I-I mean... Swiftblossom slowly lifted her gaze up at her mate; in her peripheral, she saw Dovefeather and Sparkclaw move away to her relief. I do want to start a family with him. I'm ready, but is he? We both have broken families and Wolfspirit may not want to be reminded of his. Just as Swiftblossom thought it over, her heart began to race. Her memories of Echoflower and Redstar flooded into her mind.

Since she was many moons older, she couldn't remember much about her kithood. But she can still remember the warm look of love in the eyes of her mother and father. The way that Echoflower's tail wrapped around Swiftblossom's small kit body was comforting. The smell of milk had once made her stomach growl. Play fighting with her littermates seemed to be her only concern. And Redstar... the father she once resented, the one who once loved his kits as every father should, Swiftblossom remembered the glint of anger in his clover-green eyes the night she snuck out. But with that anger, it was a protectiveness that reassured Swiftblossom that everything was fine. Every cat has that look of protective anger. But I believe that only a cat who truly loves you can really show it. That same glint was in Wolfspirit's green eyes. Also in Echoflower's. Pricklepelt's dandelion-yellow eyes showed a great potential in them; Swiftblossom knew, from the bottom of her heart, that he would make a great father. The way his eyes blazed when he expressed his love for her and Woflspirit showed the way. But the look of sternness in Blizzardtail's eyes... I never thought of the way his eyes looked before. Looking back now, I could faintly see his fatherly love showing. Back when I was a 'paw. The warrior knew how to hide his feelings well; he had to, anyway. With all the hardships he overcame, he hid his feelings so that it wouldn't get in the way of his warrior duties. But every time he was with Swiftblossom, his feelings would briefly show. Now that Swiftblossom knew, she fondly remembered his protective, blue eyes. If Blizzardtail didn't give away Wolfspirit, I knew that he would make a great father, too. It saddened her heart that the cats she loved the most seemed to have their greatest potential taken away from them; family. But we're striking back. Swiftblossom realized. The bond between the four of them was strong; they were a family. 

If Wolfspirit isn't ready for a family, then it would settle well with me. We have our family already, it seems. Swiftblossom's eyes rested upon Pricklepelt, who was chatting with Mothnose, Brackenstalk, and Russetpaw. She then caught sight of a defeated Blizzardtail, he laying down, with the victorious Featherkit and Reedkit priding on top of him. With all of her heart, she loved them. 

Wolfspirit pressed his nose against her cheek. "Are you alright? You were clearly uncomfortable with Sparkclaw and Dovefeather." he meowed gently. She let out a loud purr and rubbed her cheek down to his neck. "Don't mind them. They just love to tease me," she reassured him. The black tabby tom rested his chin above her head. Just to her, he whispered tenderly, 

"Love, if we were to have kits," Swiftblossom felt his tail-tip briefly touch her lower abdomen and stroke the soft belly fur, "I'm sure they would all be beautiful, like you."

She gasped lightly and looked up at him. He let out a heartwarming chuckle, his green eyes softening. He had a look of playfulness on his face. Swiftblossom then teased him, "And I'm sure that they would be as mean as you!" His expression of smugness transformed into one of hurt and he whimpered. "Swiftblossom, that's so cruel," he whined, drawing his ears back. The pretty calico blinked slowly at him and lovingly, she licked his lips and touched noses. "I love you, Wolfspirit."

"And I love you, too, Swiftblossom. I'm sure you'll be an amazing mother." Wolfspirit purred.

"You would make an amazing father as well; parenthood is a team, after all," she told him.

~

Swiftblossom skipped over a rock and her paws landed on top of a fallen log. Fondly she remembered she and Blizzardtail sitting upon a log during her apprenticeship. The calico felt the cold wind blowing against her face, the faint smell of the sweet, fresh grass of the field welcoming her once again. The stars loomed above; they shimmered just as bright as the shimmery waters that marked TideClan territory.  The moon was shaped like a claw but it was a heavenly white. No cat's pelt can compare, not even Swankit's pure white pelt can compete. The light made Swiftblossom's body look white, her ginger patches and her black spots were hidden underneath the moon. It outlined her slender body and showed off her muscular legs. Her amber eyes glowed into a soft yellow. 

She stood at the top of the field, at the lining of willow trees just before she touched the fields. The long grass created delicate ripples, all seeming to point to the calico. The Northern Forest swayed their branches at her welcomingly. The border between TideClan and the Nothern Forest appeared slightly ominous.

Swiftblossom took a couple of heartbeats to absorb the world before her, then she stepped off the log. The scarred she-cat gracefully dove into the field, her paws carrying her to the border swiftly. She barely touched the ground as she ran; she felt like a spirit with endless energy. Running was a great stress reliever for her.

Once she approached the same bush where she caught Nectar lurking around, Swiftblossom took a second to inhale the wind. Then, she leaped over the bush adeptly, landing on the other side. 

Nectar's scent can be easily described as minty, almost like a sap from wood. Swiftblossom smelt it faintly. Though the wind was stronger in the Northern Forest, where it picked up the leaves and the birds called differently than in her territory, Swiftblossom turned her head to the darkness before her.

Her amber eyes caught the sight of the familiar yellow she-cat making her way over. Nectar was friendly, but how the shadows wrapped around her body told a different story. Her face was overshadowed, showing off her yellow eyes. Her thin body showed off the hidden scars that hid beneath and her tail lashed behind her. Swiftblossom could identify Nectar almost as old as Pricklepelt and with her experience in battle, it seemed that the rogue lived through many potential casualties.

"Swiftblossom," Nectar spoke once she approached the clan cat, "I'm glad you could make it." Swiftblossom sat down, raising her chin high. Whatever she was going to dive into, she knew one thing for sure; Nectar was going to be her ally. But how much does Nectar know? More importantly, what was Nectar want in return for information?

Meanwhile, Nectar stared at Swiftblossom. The pale she-cat was careful to not show how impressed she was of this clan cat. Her iridescent pelt reminds me of how the leaves would change colors in the many seasons. This cat is the same throughout, she's tough, kind, calm, and clever, from what I've experienced. But whatever angle you see of her, you can see another story, ready to be told. Nectar thought, her eyes narrowing. Whatever she is... I know one thing for sure-- this is the one that can make things happen.

________________________

Heyo guys! So, I'm planning on releasing Hints and Facts very soon! Maybe after three more chapters, perhaps? If you have any questions, regarding the making of this series, the characters, or anything else, please let me know in the comments!

Also, side note, but this has to be my favorite chapter I've written so far. Why? Well, Swiftblossom is very observant and she can surely interpret events and feelings in ways others maybe cannot. By being the author and controlling her, writing these out makes me see things in a different light. It's really interesting.

-Morgan