Chapter Fifty-two

Lionstar slowly padded towards the calico warrior, her tail-tip flickering. Her amber eyes inspected Swiftblossom and her whiskers twitched. Swiftblossom found it surprising that the leader was listening to their conversation but even more that she would want to help her. Lionstar has more experience than I do. Her eyes read that she's guilty of murdering the rogues... Swiftblossom thought.

Baydawn stammered, "L-Lionstar, what are you doing here?" The medicine cat's tail bushed up slightly and lashed nervously. Wolfspirit showed no emotion as he stared at the golden she-cat, his green eyes narrowed. Pricklepelt eyed the leader questionably. The leader replied blankly, "I heard everything and I believe she is right. Though I don't think you're ready." Lionstar narrowed her eyes at Swiftblossom. 

"What do you mean?" Swiftblossom inquired, forcing her fur to lay flat. Lionstar's ears flickered and she ominously meowed, "You're barely a warrior. Only three days as one. The only battle you have fought in was the invasion of the rogues and that doesn't exactly tell me you're a worthy warrior." That's true. I haven't even made a name for myself in the clans, let alone I don't have experience as a warrior. Swiftblossom lowered her eyes, a bit ashamed of herself. I'm the peacemaker but I can't be one if I don't know how to fight... I know there will be a lot of fighting... 

Pricklepelt snapped, "Alright, Lionstar, I had enough of your harsh words to my family. How dare you insult Swift--" The brown tom began to march over to Lionstar before Swiftblossom told him, "Pricklepelt, it's fine." He halted in his steps.

Lionstar's eyes rolled over to look at Pricklepelt sideways but she didn't turn her head. "Swiftblossom, you're not ready for changing the clans. I stand beside you but you're not prepared."

"You mean that I should at least climb my way up to--"

"What I mean is," Lionstar's paw firmly dug into the ground, her patience growing thin, "you need to pace yourself well. When you spoke, you spoke stupidly, diving headfirst into something that cannot happen in a snap. I want you to at least familiarize yourself with the brutal costs of being a TideClan warrior or else you'll never be the destined peacemaker. Make your name known throughout the Clans and it'll be easier to change them." 

She turned around to leave, yet paused in front of Pricklepelt. The brown tom glared at Lionstar and she shoved her muzzle into his face. "I get that your family matters but hold back that tongue of yours," she growled and left, her tail swaying back and forth behind her.

Swiftblossom stared after the leader. Already, she's proving herself to be a tough leader. But what she said was right. I don't know the brutalities as a warrior yet. StarClan, guide me. Wolfspirit let out a heavy sigh, "That was dramatic..."

Baydawn's tail-tip rested on Swiftblossom's shoulder. "You need to get some rest for tomorrow. I'm sure that Lionstar will put you on a patrol right away," he advised. Wolfspirit's nose touched Swiftblossom's flank and he meowed, "Thank you, Baydawn. We'll see you in the morning." 

Pricklepelt watched as the mates exited the medicine cat clearing, his tail lashing in slight annoyance. "The way she insulted Swiftblossom boiled my blood," Pricklepelt muttered to Baydawn. The small tabby murmured back, "Pricklepelt, lay down. I don't want you to overwork yourself."

The brown tom let out a sigh and laid down in the moss bed, his yellow eyes filled with worry. "You know how much Wolfspirit and Swiftblossom mean to me, right? Though they were both determined to change things, my heart ached as I realized that blood will have to be spilled anyway, even if she's the peacemaker." He buried his nose into his forepaws. Baydawn calmly meowed, "I've watched Swiftblossom grow up and never before have I seen her become so passionate like that. Have a little more faith in her and Wolfspirit. With that passion, I know she'll go very far."