Chapter Twenty

Going down the steep hill with the wet, sleek grass was easier than before, but Swiftpaw had trouble crossing the river. The currents were much more stronger, now, and they grew taller. One wave nearly engulfed her, before Blizzardtail's teeth sank into her scruff and hoisted her to shore. She only felt her tail get drenched by the wave, and she sighed in relief as her paws now rested upon wet grass. Her mentor shook his fur, before Swiftpaw asked, "Blizzardtail, has Redstar disturbed the peace before?"

"Many times, before you were even born," Blizzardtail replied in a whisker, "Although he is young and courageous, he's very irrationalized and he doesn't comply with the other older leaders." Swiftpaw let out a growl, Of course he's irrationalized! And crazy! But she said nothing, and continued her way with her other clanmates, without shaking her pelt of water. Just then, Ripplepaw padded up to her. "I had fun! A apprentice from DuskClan was telling the story of her time with a badger! How was your time?"

Swiftpaw debated whether to tell him about Stonepaw or not, but she lied, "It was fun. I found myself another group of apprentices," I can't have Ripplepaw thinking that anything will happen between Stonepaw and I. After all, we're just friends. But the thought of her and Stonepaw being friends rebelled against what her heart said about them. Swiftpaw blinked slowly as her paws carried her towards the entrance of the camp, her tail flickering slightly and her heart beating rapidly. What's wrong with me? She thought in a panic, before Swiftpaw gulped. Snap out of it, Swiftpaw! 

Stepping into a stream and leaping over a rock didn't bother Swiftpaw from what her mind was swirled around in. It was difficult to focus on where her paws were going, and they itched to run back to the StarRock, to possibly relive that moment with Stonepaw. As her white paw splashed into a much deeper stream, the splash touched her chin, and her eyes widened when the final realization came to her. I'm in love. 

Love was something that Swiftpaw never experienced, but always witnessed countless times. Whether it was between mates or between littermates, she's seen it. It was a connection that bound cats together. But the love she felt for Stonepaw was much more different than the love she had for her littermates. Swiftpaw knew, but denied, that she felt love for Stonepaw, the love only mates had between each other. This love made her want to cherish every moment with the BoulderClan tom. As much as it was strange and a bit scary to her, the feeling made her feel good

When she entered camp, she made a beeline to the Apprentices' Den settled down in her nest. Luckily, Webpaw and Maplepaw were sound asleep, so they wouldn't have to witness Swiftpaw's strange behavior. She curled into the tightest ball she can do, and shut her amber eyes. The love she felt for Stonepaw was true, but forbidden.

~

The call of a owl had awoken Swiftpaw. She sat up in her nest, her amber eyes wide at the scenery around her, and familiarity flooded back into her mind. Once again, she sat in the clearing of the StarRock, just like at the Gathering. The moon was still high and proud, a cloud not covering its beauty anymore, and the light made the clearing silvery and majestic. Swiftpaw's eyes led towards the StarRock, where it glowed a faint white, but the apprentice let out a gasp. On top of the rock, sat a cat, gazing up into the night sky. Their tail was neatly wrapped around their paws, and their pelt was starry, beautiful. 

Lifting unto her paws, Swiftpaw made her way towards the great rock, her eyes still fixed upon the StarClan cat that sat above. The closer she got to the cat, she realized it was the same black tabby she-cat that was in her dream with StarClan. Swiftpaw wanted to call her name, but she didn't know her name. She only meowed, "H-hello?"

The starry cat turned her head, and a purr came out. "Hello, Swiftpaw," she meowed calmly, as Swiftpaw struggled a bit unto the dimmed rock. She leapt up, and her claws unsheathed to grasp unto the rock. Swiftpaw felt her claws scrape against it, for the clear rock had smaller edges. Her hind claws struggled to support her, and the calico apprentice felt as if she was about to slip off, until the StarClan she-cat hoisted her unto the rock by her scruff. Breathing out a thank you, Swiftpaw now sat down beside the she-cat.

Silence filled the air, as the two cats both gazed up at the sky. The stars glimmered and shimmered above, and it could be compared to the Grand River, with the moonlight reflecting upon the waters. An owl hooted, the breeze sang with the birch trees, a peaceful night.

"My name is Juniperberry, if you didn't know," the she-cat meowed to Swiftpaw. The apprentice looked away from the sky, over to the beautiful she-cat. Wow... Her face was a nice triangle, her green eyes wide but unusual. Her ears were nicely shaped, and her body was slim and glossy. Swiftpaw slightly envied Juniperberry's good looks, as the apprentice herself looked back at herself. "Hi, Juniperberry," she meowed, her eyes lifting up to the beautiful she-cat. Juniperberry let out a gentle chuckle, "Swiftpaw, I love the audience, but I don't appreciate you downgrading yourself." 

What? Did she read my mind? Swiftpaw stared in disbelief, before Juniperberry chuckled more. The black tabby meowed, "It's not too hard to read you, Swiftpaw! You just have to study the cat right," The calico apprentice let out a small sigh in relief, and her tail wrapped around her paws respectfully. Phew, that's good... 

Again, silence. Swiftpaw didn't really appreciate silence before, especially as a kit, but now, she liked it. She felt pliable in the night, almost as if she was an owl herself, a spotted owl soaring over the quiet land. Closing her eyes, she let the gentle breeze caress her long fur, and it seemed that she was at peace.

"Have you...ever heard of about the leaf-bare before you were born?" Juniperberry asked.

"I have, but it's not mentioned in TideClan," Swiftpaw replied, opening her amber eyes. The only thing she knew was that it was a deadly leaf-bare, where not many kits or elders survived the cold. Somehow, the clan was able to keep silent about it. 

Juniperberry let out a sigh, and she meowed, sadly, "It was a good thing Echoflower survived leaf-bare, too. And also Brackenstalk. That leaf-bare was by far, the most deadliest one, ever since the more ancient times in this land..." Swiftpaw's ears flattened against her head, as she watched the she-cat look back up at the sky. "I was killed by greencough, along with my kits." Juniperberry was able to meow. 

Swiftpaw lowered her eyes, "I'm so sorry, Juniperberry." But Juniperberry's green eyes brightened up, "But my son still lives. His sisters are with me, in StarClan. But my son lives," Juniperberry breathed the last part, more out of relief. The apprentice looked up once again at the TideClan she-cat. Despite being young, Swiftpaw could see in her green eyes, how strained and worried she was. Swiftpaw didn't know who her son was, but she meowed, "I bet he's proud of you, and his sisters. Maybe his father, too." Her tail touched the black tabby's shoulder, and the queen let out a sad purr. 

------------------

I'm so sorry, guys! I've been so busy preparing for my vacation next week! To the beach! But I do plan on writing, too, next week! Thank you for being patient, guys!

-Morgan <3