Chapter Sixty-nine

Swiftblossom's pelt brushed against the reeds gently, making sure her presence was hidden. She swayed her body like how the reeds did in the slight wind. This was a method that the calico caught on when she watched a praying mantis on a plant stalk. The insect would shake just like a leaf would on a windy day, slowly moving towards its prey. Then, at the right moment, it would attack. The she-cat reflected back on how Hawk hid in the brambles and she realized the answer for stealth. The best way to conceal yourself is to act like your surroundings. The praying mantis imitated a leaf, while the rogue would immerse himself with the brambles. I was so fish-brained before! Stealth isn't just about staying still or low... that's how some cats are able to go to places they can go to. They have to blend in. Swiftblossom thought. Her body wove through the reed patch that sat right outside of TideClan camp and her paws stopped a fox-length from the edge of the patch. Just barely, Swiftblossom could see the grass pathway to the camp.

The warrior's ears perked up as an oncoming patrol passed by them. Because she was quite close to the patrol, the warrior could feel the heavy footsteps of her clanmate, possibly Blazestripe. She could scent the metallic stench of fish blood. A hunting patrol... Only StarClan knows if this is the very first one. Her tail raised up high, alerting Nectar and Gold, who were just behind her, to halt. The queen murmured quietly, "Why'd we stop?" Nectar's yellow eyes narrowed at the path in front of them, the rogue's tail-tip flickering in anticipation. Swiftblossom turned her head and whispered, "We're very close, now. Gold, I need you to round up Hawk and Flaxpaw close."

Gold nodded before backing up into the reeds, the stalks swaying slightly from her rotund body. The calico exhaled steadily, her paws shaking. "I can't thank you enough," Nectar spoke to the she-cat, calming the warrior's nerves. Swiftblossom blinked slowly at Nectar, her ears perked. The pale yellow she-cat tilted her head up to look at the sky, her yellow eyes gleaming. "The kits will have a brighter future, now, and Gold will be a happy mother."

Swiftblossom chuckled gently, her feathery tail lashing, "Gold and Hawk will raise their kits with you. And we'll be the best warriors." Nectar's eyes widened when the warrior finished and she looked at her in awe. "D-do you think I can be a warrior?" Nectar stammered.

"You will be a warrior. I only became a warrior recently because I was held back a bit. If I can make it, you can make it, too." Swiftblossom reassured, her tail resting on Nectar's shoulder. Nectar let out a soft purr before the reeds behind them rustled. 

Gold, Hawk, and Flaxpaw emerged from the reeds. Snow and Honey looked restless, wanting to move around freely. Swiftblossom murmured, "We're very close. Everyone, follow me and keep tight." 

Hawk murmured, "I can't believe we've made it this far... it all seems like a far away dream."

Flaxpaw's ear flickered. The thin apprentice turned his head and exhaled deeply through his nose, "Don't celebrate just yet. Let's see how the clan reacts to this. Just so you know, Swiftblossom and I are risking our loyalty to give you refuge." After Flaxpaw said that, Swiftblossom turned to her brother and gave him a hard stare. The apprentice slightly shrunk back.

The group quickly ventured out from the reeds, with Swiftblossom in the lead. The reed patch wasn't touched by the sun, but once the group stepped out, Gold and Flaxpaw had to squint their eyes from the bright sun. Hawk kept his eyes forward while Nectar's face was downcast. Swiftblossom's head was lifted as she made her way to the stone arch. 

She could feel everyone trembling. Everyone was nervous, even the kits. But Swiftblossom made it underneath the stone arch and set paw into the camp. I won't back down! She declared, I will fulfill my promise until the very end. Nectar and Hawk had sped up to walk beside the calico and Swiftblossom felt more confident in her walk.

The camp was buzzing with life but stopped to look at the newcomers. Ripplefrost and Webshine were sitting outside of the nursery talking but stopped to stare at Swiftblossom. Lionstar and Chivewhisker's gaze dug into Swiftblossom's fur. Mudstrike's ears flattened against his head and he glared at her in utter disbelief and hatred. But the calico kept her head high. Immediately, the warriors that were in camp circled Swiftblossom and the rogues, their pelts bushed and their teeth bared. The remaining cats began to murmur amongst one another. The wind picked up in speed and the trees swayed ominously. The sun that once shone brightly was eclipsed by thick clouds looming.

Snow and Honey began to mewl in fear. They tustled and trusted around in the grasp of Flaxpaw and Hawk. Gold stepped forward to assist her kits before Lionstar's mighty meow erupted through the clearing. It was at that exact moment that everything seemed to stop. The wind halted, voices fell, even some distant birds stopped singing. Heavy, anticipated air hung.

"Swiftblossom, why have you brought these rogues into camp?" Lionstar asked coldly. The calico's eye level equalled with Lionstar's. All eyes laid unto the warrior. 

Here it is. The moment of truth. Will she take these rogues in? Or will they be turned away? Strangely, I'm not too scared anymore. I have Hawk and Nectar at my side. 

____________________

I still can't believe we reached 10k reads. I'm crying currently.

-Morgan