Chapter 7 - Something's Not Right With Him

And here it starts. I gave a look at the question paper and curse myself like hell for forgetting about the test. Though question is not that difficult but I'm sure if I had prepared earlier, I could answer them more accurately. I almost completed my studies for this final semester. So I can answer them except few due to lack of revision. Since I am a quick writer, I finish my exam a bit early still 2 or 3 questions are left unanswered. I turn at Jim and find him totally focused in writing. For a while I just stare at him unknowingly without him noticing this. Suddenly I notice the pen in his hand and it grabbed my attention because he is holding it in a bit different way while writing. I peep into his handwriting and...God..what sort of writing is this! It's fully robotic. Kind of geometrical shaped. Now, I have no doubt that he is a Robo, a complete weirdo. But I must say that it's really unique and I like his handwriting very much though a bit weird. Still it's different.

"Students, stop writing. Time's over", Mrs.Kate says. Collecting all the answer scripts she announces, " This seat plan will be followed till your final semester. Until then no one will change their seats. Alright?", and she leave the class.  Who does this in college? We are not in high-school anymore. But you can never question when it's Mrs.Kate. Her rules are always contradicting with that of any typical college. Actually I'm having a mixed kind of feeling. Then I notice few students looking at us with a kind of teasy smile on their face as if they are really excited with our seats being together. God knows why they are so much after us.

Ignoring them and their thoughts I turn at Jim to ask, "How was your test?"

"It was good", he replies and asks turning at me ,"How was yours?" 

"Good", no it was not that much good. I wanna tell him the truth. I'm not feeling good lying to him. I wanna say him everything. "Jim", I address him.

"Yeah", he asks eagerly facing me. My heart beat suddenly fastens. I have no idea why I am being no nervous.

"Actually I totally forgot that today we have a test. I lied to you before. I'm sorry. But it was kind of good though I couldn't answer 2 or 3 questions", don't know why but I confess the truth. And his reaction is something I fail to understand. It feels like he knew that I was lying and now he's pleased since I tell him the truth. Did he actually know? How?

"Ohh" he exclaims."But I'm sure you'll do well", he says with a mild expression.

"Not better than you I guess", I reply funnily. "I have heard from Sam that you were a topper in your previous college", I say to him.

" It's nothing like that. Sam just said it", he replies awkwardly brushing his back hair. Sam told me the previous day about Jim since he's Sam's cousin. He said Jim was in Boston earlier but recently shifted here in Virginia. I didn't get the chance to ask Sam as to why Jim shifted in Virginia. I really wanna to know the reason but at the same time I'm confused if I should ask him or not. Would he feel that I'm interfering too much in his matter? But unable to control my thirst for knowing I finally blurt out, "Jim", he turns at me while bringing out a book from his bag.

"Yeah", he replies casually.

"Why you shifted here from Boston?" I ask though I'm not sure if he'll answer. As far as I have seen he doesn't talk to girls so much. Actually so much is a bigger word to say. To be honest I have not seen him talking to any other girl till now but yeah, he talks to me and maybe that's the reason everyone teases us. I wonder what he must be thinking since he's totally expressionless right now simply focusing his eye on the book in front of him. Did I offend him? I'm suddenly feeling guilty since I guess I shouldn't have asked him. But why he suddenly became silent?

I further notice his face turning dull and he's somehow... maybe trying to avoid my question but still replies, "For some family reasons", and he goes out of the class getting up from his seat. I don't know what went wrong but something is definitely not right with him. So I walk towards Sam to ask regarding this because apart from being his cousin, Sam's also my best friend so I have no hesitation to ask him.

When asked Sam replies ,"Jim does not like to talk about his family matters with others he is is not close with. So don't ask him anything about it next time until he's himself ready to tell. Also don't get him wrong", Sam assures me.

" No. I'm not . I can understand", I say realizing I shouldn't interfere much. 

" By the way, Eila, why are you so much interested in his matters? Huh?" He giggles, slightly raising his eyebrows . And here it starts again. He is teasing me. I have no idea how to stop him, in fact how to stop all of them.

I give a shitty look at him, " I'm not interested. I just asked randomly", I clarify.

Just then Mr.Wann Lee enters the class since it is Business Statistics now. I am tired of these continuous lectures. But... as I look around, Jim's still not present. Damn, sir does not like late comers. When Mr. Lee is about to begin his class just then Jim enters through the back door. Seeing him late in the class sir says, "I don't like late comers. If you want to attend my class then don't be late from tomorrow onwards." Sir does not have that much temperament but he's strict in discipline and punctuality. Coming near the seat, "I'm sorry", Jim apologises standing. Sir accepted his apology as he started writing on the board without saying anything further. Jim sits on his seat while I keep staring at him.