128

"Mom?" The sound makes my attention snap right where the sound came from, Nora standing there, holding a bowl in her hands, Barry watching from the kitchen, "I cut some fruit up for you."

I gape at her for a second, before sitting up, setting down the cup that held a few sips of whisky, giving her a weak smile, the smile being my thank you gesture.

She hands me the bowl, giving me a comfortingly smile, before seating herself next to me.

I pick at the fruit with my fork, staring at the news that played on the tv screen, Barry slowly walking over, seating himself on my other side, wrapping an arm around me.

He took the fork out of my hands, my eyes slowly watching him, as he fed me the fruit that was at the end of my fork.

I exhale through my nose, looking at him with a unreadable expression, as he wraps an arm around me, Nora and Barry now taking notice of the news.

Suddenly, the entire scene changes, causing me to grab the remote and change the channel, only for it to be the same thing on every channel.

My eyebrows furrow in confusion, as I took notice of what was being broadcasted, Barry quickly sitting up at the words.

"This is a public service announcement. James Zolomon has escaped Iron Heights minutes before his execution, leaving us all at unease. This man is very dangerous. He is mentally ill, and has been convicted for the act of first degree murder. He was last seen where a grey jumpsuit. Please remain at home under these circumstances as we try to locate this man."

I stared at the tv screen in front of me, feeling as if my entire past had been pulled, slapped onto a paper, and shoved into my face.

"Zee-" Barry began, slowly sitting up, staring at the tv screen.

I shook my head, staying silent, as I remained since we got home, staring at the tv screen.

-

Barry sits up next to me a few hours later, my eyes snapping open tiredly at the sound of banging at our front door. My eyes land on the clock on Barry's nightstand, the time reading 3:02 am.

I looked at him, slowly getting up, as does he, him quickly putting on a hoodie and sweatpants.

I remain in an oversized sweater, one that fit me like a dress, my legs bare, comfortable shorts on under the sweater.

Barry and I slowly made our way down the stairs, my eyes landing on Nora, who was gaping at the door from the couch.

"The hell?" I glance at Barry and Nora, before walking to the door, opening it, my eyes landing on none other than my father.

My eyes widen, my hands instantly pushing on the door to shut it, only for him to push back, stronger than me, shoving me onto the ground.

Barry was quick to have him up against the wall, Nora helping me up.

Barry was defensive already, his eyes filled with hatred, his jaw clenched, "If you lay a finger on my wife- so help me God, I will murder you."

I slowly grabbed the handcuffs that sat next to my badge, walking over, putting my hand on Barry's arm to signal I want him to let go, my eyes glued on my father.

Barry slowly let go, stepping away, as my father stared at me for a second, before grabbing me and pinning me to the wall, a sharp object what I assumed was a knife pressed against my stomach.

"Mom-" Nora began, only to be cut off when my leg flew up, pushing James back, catching him off guard, pushing myself up, getting onto his shoulders, flinging myself back, bringing him down with me, pinning him to the ground on his stomach, handcuffing him.