Chapter 5

NYX

What the hell happened? How did she got out of that tree? How did a door appeared there? It was not there when I first got here. I was staring at her in horror. I could see in her green eyes she was horrified seeing me here.
“N.N...Nyx, w.w...What are you doing here?” she was stuttering.
“I was relaxing.” I replied.
“Did you…” she started
“Nyx!” RB called me. RB opened the lights on the backyard. It was beautiful. There were Christmas lights around the branches of the tree. He opened the kitchen door and saw Astryd and me sitting in the roots of the tree.
“Oh Ty, you’re here too. I thought that you were out. Mom’s here.” He was kind of shock when he saw us together. Astryd looked at me and she was still in the state of shock.
“Coming.” I replied to RB. “Come on!” I faced Astryd and stood up. She stood up and walked gracefully towards the kitchen door. She is clearly thinking about what had happened a moment ago. Because I was thinking about it too. I followed her to their living room. She kissed her mom.
“Good evening Mrs. Dieppe. I’m Nyx. RB’s roommate. Could I stay here all summer?”
“Hi Nyx. Sure. Everyone friend of my kids are a friend of mine. Just call me Jean.” She smiles so sweetly like Astryd’s. “I bought dinner kids, let’s eat.”

We got in the kitchen and help the Dieppe’s arrange the plates for dinner. We happily ate the food Jean bought for us. RB and I was the main attraction over dinner. We told them stories of our first year in the University.

Their mom told us some of hers too when she was in college. Astryd was quiet. I bet she was thinking about the scene earlier. After dinner I insisted of helping with the dishes. Turns out, it was Astryd’s turn to wash the dishes but I insisted anyways.
“Show off.” RB snorted.
“Ha-ha. I can’t help it, I’m a visitor here.” I chuckled.
“Exactly. You are. You shouldn’t be doing it.” he said.
“I insisted. Besides, this is all I can do after your mom said it was okay for her to adopt me this summer.”
“Okay you win. Just go to my room later when you finish up. Let’s play Halo.”
“Roger that!”

He disappeared in the kitchen. There was an awkward silence between the two of us. Moments later we were finished washing the dishes and stacking the plates on the cabinet.

We got up the stairs and walk towards the hall where RB’s room was. I followed her. She stopped at front of my room—Err, her old room. I thought she was gonna go inside her old room but instead she pulled a rope and a ladder came down. It was the ladder going to the attic. Before she took a step to the ladder I had to ask her something.
“What did happened back there?” she stopped. I thought she was gonna answer my question. But she then continue to go to the stairs. I was so clueless about what had happened earlier and she haven’t explained anything to me and because of that I, Nyx Eros Cortez, is officially intrigued by what happened and by that girl.