8 | Damn

Derek

I'M NEVER USUALLY an aggressive driver, but when your on the verge of missing the entire first day of school — and on top of it: getting kicked off the track team, you'll go to the extent of speeding through lanes (just to get your track equipment and head back to school).

At least that's what I do.

I stick my head out of the window. "Hey!" I shout.

The lady in the car next to me gives me a strange look. "What do you want?" she asks, sticking her nose up high.

I sigh. "This traffic is unbearable."

"Welcome to my life," she mumbles. She looks at me again. "Say, shouldn't you be at school?"

I roll my eyes. "Possibly," I murmur.

"What was that?" the lady asks. I ignore her question, hoping the green light will go off any second; but it doesn't. God, unluckiness really is in my genes. "I'm still talking to you."

I force myself to look at her in the eye and am about to open my mouth, when the green light goes off. The car on my left starts speeding off. I turn to my right to the lady, but she's no longer there. Suddenly, the car behind me starts honking their car and I realize that I haven't moved yet. "Sorry," I murmur, knowing very evidently that the driver didn't hear that.

The car ride back home isn't that long, since Lone Star High School is only fifteen minutes away from where I live, but the ride home seems like a long time. Maybe it's because the whole car ride home, my mind ponders on Spencer's facial expressions when he was talking to me earlier today. Spencer never really trips on his words, but yet somehow, he was able to do that in our conversation. Am I that intimidating? I snicker so hard, thinking about. How could I, Derek Sam Walker, who may I add is very puny compared to Spencer, be intimidating to the beast Spencer Campbell? Okay, so, it's definitely not that. My mind scrambles for a reasonable answer. Oh, shit, I think to myself, I think he really did search up my name.

I scramble for my phone, in hopes that Spencer didn't go around telling everyone I have a dead brother yet. But he wouldn't would he? I mean he's such a great friend! Yeah, I learned it the hard way that friends aren't always trustworthy. Especially Tyler. I think of texting Spencer or calling him, just to tell him that it was all a huge misunderstanding and there are several other Derek Sam Walkers'. But as I replay the conversation in myself, I start reminding myself of how stupid I am. God Derek, seriously? I shake my head.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't call, or text him.

Suddenly, my phone rings, making me jump with surprise. My hand shakes as I read the caller. I debate on picking up the phone. I mean, what should I even say? "I hope you didn't go around telling people that I have a dead brother, because that's all fake news!" My hand just starts to shake even more, and I debate on pulling over, to avoid getting in a car crash. I look in the window and realize that I'm right near my community, so I continue to drive. My phone ring goes off as soon as I enter my community and I sigh in relief. But suddenly, it goes off in five seconds by the same caller again. I give in and decide to pick up the phone.

"Hello?" his voice echoes through the car, since my phone's connected to the CarPlay thing.

"Hi," I respond weakly. And that's when I hear a sudden noise.

"Ouch," a familiar voice pierces.

"What was that?" Spencer asks. I sit in my car completely taken aback by what just happened, "Walker, are you there?"

I shake out of my trance. "Y- yeah," I say, "can I call you back?"

"Uh actually ―" I cut the call. My mind races with what could've happened to make that piercing nose. My heart starts beating fast when I open the car door, stepping out. I take a glimpse at the victim or whatever, and start breathing heavily, as soon as I catch a glimpse of black frizzy hair.