33 | no one cares

Aaliyah

THE NEXT FEW weeks of school are a blur, partly because I've been so focused on maintaining my 3.5 GPA and getting to AP English next year, but as soon as I come to Gym, I know all will be well.

After all, that's what Gym is. A time to relax, or maybe I'm messing that up with Study Hall.

Whatever. 

I step inside the girl's locker room and unlock the square sized locker, where my gym clothes are stored, using the three digit code. Over the past few years, I have come adjusted to the fact that sooner or later I have to change in front of all the girls, but for now, I can use the shower room. I scurry to the locker room. A week ago, I sprained my ankle while playing basketball, so, I had taken a break from Gym.

But today is my first day back.

Saying that seems like I'm a pro at basketball, but I'm really not. In fact, I'm not a pro at anything. Except for my great vocabulary skills, but no one cares.

I walk out of the shower room and back to the locker room. Kat and I were supposed to meet around this time, since she has art, she usually comes late. So, I wouldn't surprised if she shows up late. But later than this? I check the time; 12:50. Gym starts in another five minutes.

Where the hell is Kat?

The bell rings, signifying that Gym has begun and all the girl surrounding me start to scurry for the door. I roll my eyes and try Kat one more time, in hopes, that she'll pick up. No use.

"Um honey?" I look up to meet one of the Gym teachers. "It's time to leave, now." She points to the door that's open.

"Right," I scurry to the door, as she flashes a smile, showing her crooked teeth. I look away in disgust, which I know is wrong, but I mean c'mon! What would you do? My feet take off and halt as soon as I meet the familiar Gym building. I hesitate before opening the door. At the same time some random person decides to open the door and stumbles upon me. "Do you mind?" I grunt, as my eyes focus on the electrifying blue eyes looking down me.

"Actually," he takes my features in, "I do mind."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever."

I push through him, but I don't budge. "It's not whatever." God, where is Kat when I need her?

I make it just in time for the students to be assigned to their next units. Unfortunately, I wasn't there to pick my next unit. Suddenly, all the students start to get up, while I look around clueless. "Aaliyah," someone says. I look up to meet another Gym teacher that I had for Driver's Ed; Coach Sachse. "You didn't choose a unit yet, did you?"

I shake my head. "No."

He looks through his binder, before looking up. "It seems like there's only volleyball and elementary games left."

"Uh, I guess volleyball?"

He nods his head before striking something up. "And that fills up volleyball," he smiles. "That's where the volleyball folks are." He points a group of people all huddled up with each other in the corner.

"Uh okay." A small part of me hopes he'll come with me, but after much hope, I give up.

I head over to the group of people, only to find out that there's only a full group of boys. "I'm sorry, and you are?" a red bob haired lady looks down upon me.

"Aaliyah. I- I'm taking volleyball," I signify to Coach Sachse. "He uh signed up."

"Oh okay," she smiles lightly before returning to the crowd of boys. "Alright, today we'll be partnering into groups of six and then we'll start competing. Aaliyah?" she looks at me.

"Yeah?" I play with my fingers anxiously.

"Find yourself a group, please."

"Uh o-okay." I scan the crowd of boys before sitting behind a group of what seems like innocent boys.

"This group is actually filled up," the boy sitting next to me informs.

"Uh right," I get up awkwardly. Can you seriously not count, Aaliyah?

"How about you try that one over there? That's a group of five," he points to the group of boys all the way in the front and I gulp. He wants me to be a part of a group with the jocks? I look at him. Is he crazy?!

"A- are you sure?"

He shrugs his shoulders, before returning at a conversation with the guy sitting next to him.

"Aaliyah." I look up at the Gym teacher, hiding a scowl. "You find a team yet?"

I swear this lady is out here trying to ruin my life. "Uh no, not really."

She sighs. "I guess you could be with that group." She points to the same group of jocks and I gulp.

"Are you sure ma'am? Because I —"

"When am I not? These boys don't bite! Right, Brent?" She eyes a boy with shaggy blonde hair and I freeze, as I realize he's the person who I just bumped into.

"Yeah," he eyes me down, "we only bite when we have to."

"Brent!" The lady scolds. She turns back to me, "He didn't mean it like that."

Where the hell is Kat when I need her?

---

"SO YOU JUST aim it like this," a brunette haired boy from the same team advises me, "it's pretty easy if you ask me."

"Uh okay," I settle the volleyball in my hands and aim it the same way the boy taught me.

"God, what's taking so long?" Brent drains out. He eyes me suspiciously. "If she can't do it, then have someone else do it!"

"I can do it!" I surprise myself by shouting.

"Oh really?" Brent raises an eyebrow, as I furrow mine.

"Yeah really."

"Alright, show us," Brent leans against some Gym equipment as I take my shot. Alright, deep breaths, Aaliyah, I think to myself. Remember slow and steady. Before I know it, the ball is out of my hands and on to the other side flying. Suddenly it stops and thuds to the ground. "Not so good, are you?" Brent smirks, coming into my view.

I hide the disappointment in my face. "I can try better next time."

He stops dead in his tracks. "There is no next time."

"Yes there is, they're always —"

He chuckles. "God, stop being such a Pickanniny!"

My eyes narrow down on him, as I digest what he just said. 'Pickanniny' is a phrase we learned in the beginning of the English year. It's an insult to be called that. Especially when your African-American (it's basically equally the same as the n-word). The next thing I know, my feet are taking off, running through the crowd of students and then Peer Leaders. "Aaliyah," I hear his voice suddenly echo, "is everything okay?"

But I don't care to look back. At least not this time.

~~~
hi :)

about to do treadmill rn. let's get it!! eskittit; okurr.

— AK 💜