50 | Finally.

Derek

THE NUMBER OF times I've dreamed of this outcome is inexplicable. I still can't believe that I, Derek Sam Walker, have worked up the courage to actually do something that I've been planning for three years. God, last night was a hell of a night. Yesterday Aaliyah ended up sleeping in my car, and me being the compassionate person I am ― and also because I couldn't pass up the opportunity ― I ended up bringing her inside. Turns out no one was home, but as soon as I rang the doorbell, a familiar red Honda car pulled up to the driveway and Rachel and another girl, who I'm assuming is Cathy came out. They immediately escorted Aaliyah inside and thanked me gratefully. Of course I didn't tell them exactly what happened last night, but just knowing how much they cared about Aaliyah was enough to keep my mouth shut. 

And I'm glad I did. 

I peek through the curtains to see Aaliyah coming out. I put on my windbreaker and am about to go outside when I collide with Mike. I hold back an eye roll. "Can I help you?"

After dropping Aaliyah at home, I came home to 'nice surprise' from Mike. He was downright mad and frustrated at me for not asking permission to use the car, but surprisingly I didn't care. My head was in the clouds and no one could bring me down until now. "Derek," he starts.

"Look, I don't have time for all of this. I have to go to work and ―"

"I know, I know," he sighs. "I- I'm sorry Derek."

"Sorry for what?" I look up. As much as I do hate Mike, it's surprising to see him act so... sympathetic. "You should be."

"I know," he seats himself in my bean bag across from me. How the hell can he be so relaxed! "I should've been more flexible with you, especially since you were with that girl last night." He coughs and I turn around.

"W- what?"

He sighs. "I saw you last night with her."

I pretend to be interested in the empty blue wall across from me. I never had a conversation with Mike about relationships, and I never want to. "It was her birthday and I just wanted to make her day special."

"I know," he looks directly at me, "what it's like to be in love." He pauses. "That's how I found your mother."

I roll my eyes when he's not looking. I can't take this sweet talk with him anymore. "That's not how we're like. She just needed help and ―"

"You were there," Mike smiles a little bit and I wrinkle my eyebrows. When the hell did Mike start smiling? "But that's not the reason why I came here. I truly apologize for being... an asshole last night. You didn't deserve it."

"At least you got something right," I mutter.

He looks up at me and I gulp. Did he hear me? "I want to change, Derek. I really do, but... it's hard."

A tear slips from his cheek and before I know it, I'm pulling him in for a hug. "It's okay. I'm here."

"And I'm here for you too," he wipes a tear, chuckling. "Alright, well I guess you better get going to work and greet your girl." He winks as he exits the room. He knew? Of course he knew! I rush down the staircase with this huge ass smile on my face, but this time I don't care. Maybe I've never cared; maybe that's why I've been so free these past three years.

I rub barefoot through the grass and stop, until I'm a foot away from Aaliyah. I watch her delightfully, scratching Brody's ear. God, if she actually had taken her life yesterday... I shake my head. She didn't and that's what matters! "Still fazed from yesterday?" Aaliyah turns around and blushes profusely. "Don't think I forgot, cutie."

She smiles unconditionally. "I didn't... unfortunately."

"Hey! I'm about to go on a whole tangent with Aaliyah but I stop. I've known Aaliyah for eight months and that's a hella of a long time! Shouldn't I know her by now? "I know you too well to know when you're lying or not."

She smirks. "Well, maybe you don't."

"Your right," that's true too, though, "but at least I confessed my love to you."

Her cheeks turn to the color of a rose. "That I'm glad I remember."

"Ya know you've taught me a lot."

She raises an eyebrow. "Like what?"

God, if only she knew. "A magician never tells his secrets, but if you'd really like to know," I pause. Maybe it is time she knew how much of an impact she made on me ― and others in the future, "you've taught me to live myself not for others."

"I taught you to live for yourself and not for others?" her eyes grow wide.

God, I knew this would happen. How can a girl be so pretty yet stubborn? But you fell for this type of girl now didn't ya? I blush, rolling my eyes. "Ya know most people don't know how much of a difference they've made until someone tells them."

She contemplates that for a while. "Then, I guess this is me telling you how much of a difference you've made to me."

Somehow I'm not willing to accept that. "Really?"

She raises an eyebrow. "Have I ever lied to you?"

"Multiple times."

She scoffs for a second and I look up, taken aback. "Okay, well, now I'm not."

"Now you're not?" I hesitate. "I'm glad you're not."

She looks at me in the distance and smiles. "And I'm glad you're not too."

I watch how her black curls sit on her shoulders just like they've always had and smile. "Hey look at that! We've both changed."

She snickers. "I guess we ―"

Suddenly, the same girl from yesterday comes out from the garage. I immediately recognize her from Instagram. She's the person who I've been stalking to get information on Aaliyah! Okay, now that just makes me more of a sketchy person, but I swear I'm not. Thinking she might recognize me, I make a quick move back inside my house letting out a sigh of relief. "What's that all about?" I look up the staircase to see Mike eyeing me down.

"Oh nothing, I just ―"

"She was in a hurry, wasn't she?"

I figure it can't hurt to lie. I mean it's just one little lie, and plus, there are many more secrets to be uncovered between me and him. Just like me and Aaliyah. "Uh yeah. She has an art class."

"Quite the artistic one, just like your mother," he rubs his chin. "C'mon."

"Where?" my back is still against the door.

"I wanna show you some poetry I've been working on."

"Poetry?" I never took Mike as a 'soft' person.

He chuckles. "You'd be so surprised at how many emotions I've experienced!"

I think back to my eight months with Aaliyah and smirk. "Try me." I guess Aaliyah is right. No matter how many times I try to fight it, even I myself made a difference in Aaliyah's life. I guess we both did. That's the thing about the Universe. No matter how many times you try to fight it, there's always someone who's gonna convince you.

And I guess I kinda like that.

~~~

hi :)

yo WE did it!! ya girl accomplished finishing one whole ass book!! AGHLDLSL this is all you guys n me lol, but seriously thank U all for ur continuous support. i know that i do need to go revise this entire book, but that can wait. seriously can't believe i finally finished IBRH. THANK U + STOP DREAMING, START DREAMING. i believe in U ♡

― AK 💜