39 | first time

Aaliyah

I NEVER EXPERIENCED what people might call a 'long chat' over the phone until I put my contact in Derek's phone. Ever since then, he has been calling me non stop. Sometimes calling to ask how life was in general or tips on my subjects. Like he knows. Surprisingly he does based on what he told me about the Fahrenheit 451 book, I passed the test with a 97%, all thanks to Derek, I guess. Although I'm pretty sure he cheated on getting the answers somehow. What? I mean I never considered Derek as the braniac, but most of our calls revolved around life and our plans for the future. Derek is full set out. All he wants to do is just go to a college far away from his parents and start a new life there. Although, he hasn't chosen a college yet. Strange because of how much of a braniac he is. As for me, I still have time.

"So," Kat starts, "what shirt do you think most represents me?" After hours of pleading from Kat, I finally gave in to come to the mall with Kat. Which surprisingly Rachel gave the nod to. I guess she hasn't seen me with a friend yet and is starting to get concerned. So when Kat popped up at our front door, all of a sudden, on a Saturday morning and asked for me to come with her to the mall, she immediately said yes.

"It'll be fun," she said. Yeah, look where I am now: decked out in piles of clothes and a finished cup of cold iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts that I finished over an hour ago, I'm completely and utterly exhausted (and famished).

"I don't know," I confide. "And also, why are we even shopping for clothes? Don't you have enough clothes?" The first and last time I'd been at Kat's house, I had the 'oppurtunity' to see Kat's closet, which is decked out in piles of shirts and bagged jeans, along with a set of moody beanies. 

"A girl never has enough clothes," Kat pauses, roaming through a set of clothes set up on a hanger, "and plus, there's a party at McDaniels' a week from today."

"Woah! A party?" I didn't anticipated Kat as a party person.

"Yeah, you wanna come?" Wasn't expecting that too.

I blink my eyes rapidly. "A- a party? Your joking, right?"

Kat shakes her head. "No. Really everyone's invited. You should come," I look at her like she's crazy, "I insist."

"W- what? I mean, I never took you as a party person."

Kat sighs. "Me either, but I heard Stephanie's going, so..." I don't even bother asking who Stephanie is because I already have an idea.

"Yeah, well, I don't know, Kat. I mean, I have my own stuff next Saturday and ―"

"Really? You have plans for next Saturday?" Kat raises an eyebrow. "Y'know I could just call Rachel and ask her for ―" Before leaving, Rachel had provided Kat with her information on how to reach her, in case we got an accident. Which I doubt is gonna happen.

"S- she wouldn't know. Only I would know."

"Well, think about," Kat says, before heading back into the dressing room.

"Wait!" Kat turns around. "I- I haven't ever been to a party before."

Kat smiles. "Well, there's first times for everything." I chuckle, realizing she's right. Maybe I might just go to the part next Saturday. And who knows? Maybe I might even enjoy it if I go. And Rachel? She'll approve of it, like she always does.