21 | befuddled

Aaliyah

*3 months later*

THE SOUND OF applause fills my ear and I hesitate on sneaking onto the stage. I had just finished unpacking my trumpet a few minutes earlier and now, am almost on the verge of tears because I arrived late to the Winter band concert. Trust me, when I say the last thing that I want is a D- on my band grade because of showing up five minutes late to a stupid band concert.

Surprisingly, I actually like Band.

Not because of the people or anything like that, mostly because of the music. It just gives me a weird yet calming sensation; the music. After coming to Band, after a very hard day of school, it feels nice and relaxing.

Mr. Bach was so close to signing me up for Marching Band, although I had to stop him, even though I really hoped to join Marching Band, I knew I couldn't. It's not because of Rachel or Tom, or anyone like that.

It's just because of my anti-social self.

I didn't feel comfortable, knowing I'd come home at midnight or even later on weekends. Or even just going to festivals with people who I had no interaction with.

It just felt weird and strange, which is why I immediately declined Mr. Bach's offer.

I think he hates me now, because whenever I strike up a conversation with him, he always has this grumpy face on.

"You gonna go up?" my eyes meet a middle aged woman.

By the looks of it, she looks Chinese and like a mother. My eyes adjust to the darkness, as I realize that she's one of the teacher pet's mothers: Kevin Chen's. For some reason, Mr. Bach seems to admire Kevin a lot.

Maybe it's because he's a professional at the baritone, or his brother is the drum major for the marching band, but either way Mr. Bach seems to really like him.

God, I wish I could have a teacher that admired me that much; or at least someone I could look up to.

I realize I've been standing behind the stage for the last five minutes. "Oh uh yeah."

"Go along now," she utters, "y'know the concert hasn't started yet."

I turn around. "It hasn't?"

She smiles. "No, it was just warmup."

So maybe the Universe is on my side after all.

I scurry to the stage, just in time for the audience to enter the auditorium and find my seat.

I'm not like Isha Patel, who's a master at the trumpet, and sits in the first seat. I'm more of a Josh Brown kind of person, who is 10% above average and sits fifth seat. He waves his hand eagerly, as soon as he sees me. I crack a smile and slide into my seat, breathing a sigh of relief. He's about to open his mouth, but is stopped by Mr. Bach, who waves his baton, and then settles it on the stand.

"You can talk amongst yourself for the next thirty seconds," he whispers, although I can't really hear it. I can only read his lips.

"Where were you?" Josh immediately pounces at me.

I stifle a giggle. "At the back of the stage."

He widens his eyebrows. "I'm not even gonna ask."

The only reason why I'm friends with Josh is because he's the only chill guy in Band, and is pretty relatable. We met last month in Band. He had just moved in, and was having trouble fitting in. I guess that's where I popped in, as a companion.