Prolouge

Kari Godefroy. To anyone who knew her, they would have described her as kind. Righteous. Steady headed. If Kari had been from Midgard, she would have been no older but fourteen years of age when she was appointed the youngest valkyrie in two human centuries. 

She was too young when she faced Hella. Too young when she witnessed the slaughter in her sisters in arms. The hundreds that Kari fought alongside, all gone. She will remember for centuries how Hella looked her straight in the eye before saying, "Go home, little one. I want you to tell Odin what happened here today. I want him to that it's all his fault."

And so that's what the young Valkyrie did. Kari had dragged her weary limbs, ignoring how they had begged and pleaded her to stop, all the way back to Odin's palace. Kari couldn't help but agree with Hella. Who tries to fight the goddess of death?

The townsfolk knew something was broken deep within the young girl as she walked through the village. She ignored their heads that were bowed in respect. It wasn't their fault after all. It was Odin's.

"Ah, Kari my girl. Where are your brethren?" The girl scoffed, earning a raised eyebrow from the older man. Disrespectful was never a personality trait Kari seemed to possess.

"You knew didn't you?" Her voice wavered slightly, coming out harshly. Again, not something Kari was known for. On a good day, she was well-spoken, with wisdom beyond her years. Even on her bad days, Kari tended to hold her tongue.

"Knew what? I think you should lay down my dear, you're looking alarmingly pail." Kari ignored him as the burning feeling in her chest started to spread.

"You knew they weren't going to survive, didn't you?"

"Kari..."

"No! Shut up!" Kari's eyes were now glowing a dangerous orange and her hands were covering her ears. She tried to calm herself, but the damage was already done. She threw her head back and let out a scream as her body was engulfed in flames. If Kari could have controlled it, it might have been beautiful.

And so she was locked away, her name forgotten to the tales of time.