Every king needs his queen

Kari sat in a cell facing the wall. Her red hair was a tangled mess. Her golden eyes were closed as she heard footsteps walk down the stairs. Letting out a cruel laugh, she spoke first. "So the all mighty king of Asgard finally decided to grant me with his presence. Let me guess, you're going to keep me locked down here for another thousand years."

"Guards, leave us."

The two guards exchanged a look. "But sir..."

"Are you death? I said leave us!"

The man waited for the guards to leave before he dropped his illusions. "It pains me to see you slipping, my love."

Kari's breathe hitched but she didn't turn around. She stayed perfectly still as he dropped the barrier between them and walked towards her. Cautiously, he knelt down in front of her. "Love, look at me." Loki grabbed her hand and interlaced her fingers with his own as he brought her hand to his chest.

"I'm right here. I'll never leave you again."

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a small box. "I promise." Her golden eyes finally met his face as he continued. "Kari, you were one of the few people that ever seemed to believe in me. I know after everything I've done that I don't deserve your hand in marriage, but..."

"Yes." He met her gaze and she cleared her throat. "Yes, I will marry you, but if you ever fake your death again without telling me first, I'll skin you alive, are we clear?"

Loki's smile grew as he slipped the ring on her finger. "Crystal." His smile dropped slightly. "I do hope you understand that I'll have to keep you in here a tad longer, just for appearances. It's no secret that Odin and you haven't seen eye to eye in nearly a millennium."

Her breath hitched slightly. "That's fine. I need to let this all sink in anyhow. I just have one question: if you are officially 'dead', how is the marriage going to work exactly? Legally speaking, of course."

Loki had shifted so he was sitting on the bed next to her. "Choose anywhere in the nine realms, darling. We'll figure something out."

Her face lit up and her golden eyes seemed to flicker in the dark. "May I invite Lady Natasha? I have grown quite fond of her during my time on Midgard."

Loki thought about it for a moment. " I suppose if anyone could keep a secret...it would be her. Not many can lie to me. Yes, if inviting her would make you happy, you can do it."

Kari kissed his check. "Thank you. I think you'll like her."

"Anything for you, my Queen." His response was a mere murmur as he pulled her close to him.

Kari pulled back and something new seemed to flash in her eyes. "Oh, and don't think I won't punish you for the stunt you pulled earlier."

Despite the fact that Kari had practically purred the sentence, a shiver was still sent down Loki's spine. "Good. I'll have something to look forwards to after the wedding."