A mere fairy tail

a/n: I'm using a script mostly as a reference since I don't own the movie.
source~ https://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Avengers,-The-(2012).html

Kari waited patiently as Thor flew towards her with Loki. She winced as Thor threw him into the mountain wall. Thor was most certainly not pleased with Loki faking his death.

"Where is the tesseract?" Loki seemed not to notice her yet and focused on Thor, letting out a laugh.

"I missed you too." Kari couldn't bring herself to say anything. After months of insisting he was alive when she knew better...this now felt as if it were a dream.

"Do I look to be in a gaming mood?"

"oOOH but you should be thanking me. Finally a reason to use dark magic to get here. To your precious earth." Loki gestured to the land around him, flashing his brother a mischievous smile.

"We thought you dead." Thor was close to breaking his hard resolve. Kari could tell.

"Did you mourn?" Loki's words still held there taunting edge.

"Of course we did. You were everything to me and you still are." Loki finally turned his attention to her. His mischievous smile dropped and different emotions flashed through his eyes. Love. Happiness. Sorrow. Fear.  Then they disappeared and the blue hardened it's glow.

"Then why'd you let me fall?" The simple question seemed to slice through the air like a knife. Kari's posture immediately stiffened and she looked as if she had been slapped. Thor noticed and tried to construct his argument.

"Our Father..."

"You mean your Father. He did tell you of my true parentage, correct?"

"It matters not. We were raised together. We played and fought together. Do you remember none of that?"

"I remember the shadow you cast. I remember you tossing me into the abyss! I was and should be King!" Kari's hurt look faded away instantly and was replaced with a cold, hard one. If they messed with his memories... there would be hell to pay.

"Loki, I told you that you would never be truly alone. I am sorry that I was wrong." A flicker of green made its way into Loki's eyes for a mere moment before vanishing. There it was again. The fear.

"Simple lies to give me hope." His words were bitter, but the Valkyrie did not flinch at his cold tone. "And you've done a marvelous job protecting your beloved Earth. The humans slaughter each other in droves, while you idly threat. I mean to rule them. And why should I not?"

"You think yourself above them."

"Well...yes."

"Then you miss the truth of ruling, brother. Throne would suit you ill." Kari watches as Loki shoves Thor out of the way before turning back around to face him.

"I've seen worlds you to never knew of! I have grown, Odinson, in my exile. I have witnessed the true power of the tesseract, and when I wield it..." Power hungry. That was never a trait Kari saw in Loki until now. It was something...new.

"And who showed you this power? Who controls the would be king?"

"I am a king!" Kari sighed at Loki's response. Before she could speak up, Thor continued.

"No! You give up the tesseract and this poisonous dream! You come home."

"I don't have it. I sent it off I know not where."

"Listen well brother, I..." Before he could continue a blur of red and gold tackled him.

"I'm listening?"

Kari approached Loki, who flinched as her fingers grazed his cheek. Her softened expression hardened once more. "What did they do to you?" Her voice was barely above a whisper, but it still managed to hold the power of an army of berserkers. Panic flared behind his eyes once more and she understood. Loki wasn't necessarily scared for himself. He was scared for her.

Loki's blue eyes shone brighter and he stiffened. Kari was absolutely certain the person she saw in her dream was contacting him. She watched, patiently.

On a far away world, Loki was desperately trying to handle things with his...partner so to speak. "She's a distraction ...you should kill her." The voice of the hooded man was scratchy and echoey.

Loki's illusion turned to face the figure. "I shall do no such thing. You have heard of the Valkyries, correct?"

"Of course. But they were just legends, a mere fairy tail."

"But that is where you are wrong. I am a mere child's tail as well, yet here I stand before you."

"What does this have to do with anything?" The servant of Thanos was getting impatient.

"She is the last of the Valkyrie. She would serve us much better alive."

"Ok. You have one shot."